Silver Thunder - impulse buy

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
So Cherie and I bought this little silver Thunder a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_20130912_070122_zpsc3c94946.jpg

I couldn't help myself message the ebay seller when it had 3 days left and was only at £38 with the usual rot / cambelt / history etc questions expecting a list of expensive fixes as the reason for the low price.
The only thing against it was the fact that both sills need a bit of a rub down, treat and respray. Just surface and not mentioned on the MOT. The sellers reserve was fairly low but he was happy with that as he'd bought a new car already. He was an AA chap so the car was pretty sound.

It's only done 55,000 miles and has an MOT until next spring.

Thunderadvert5_zpsc492923f.jpg

Thunderadvert6_zps24d2c2ea.jpg

Original exhaust still:
IMG_20130912_065549_zps039d441b.jpg

First club outing at Rockingham last Sunday:
IMG_20130915_083200_zps3992c818-1.jpg

Things done:

The ditch-finders on it were truly horrendous. They were >Silverstone M5-Synergy< which the fronts at least have now been replaced by >Uniroyal Rainsport 2< which were a bargain at £72 delivered from Camskill. Fitted at our local ATS yesterday for a drink to the chap that does all my tyre / exhaust stuff ;)

UniroyalRainsport2_zps6949a50d.jpg

Got a nice little package from Ian G of some little bits and bobs that it needed:
- Plastic Gearstick surround - original one must have had an air freshener on it that had melted the plastic side
- The little yellow bit in the bonnet that the bonnet stay fits into.
- Wiper nut covers x2.
- Drivers side central screw cover
- 3rd brake light - ours had a crack in it.
- The little black plastic triangle bit to the left of the 2 central air vents.

IMG_20130920_104744_zps0b7d5371.jpg

Replaced this very sad cracked 3rd brake light:

IMG_20130922_161749_zps54219a0d-1.jpg

Things to do:

Had a couple of quotes to get the sills done so going in on the 7th October to fix all this and get it ready for winter:

Thunderadvert12_zpsb7c29f62.jpg

Thunderadvert9_zps11e15b19.jpg

And I've put some nice shiny wheel nuts on rather than the through nuts that were on there.

It needs a damn good clean / machine polish to get the various minor scratches out. The mudflaps need realigning and straightening too.

Future possible plans:

Might lower it a bit with some aftermarket springs.
Replace the unreliable 6006 with a USB Head unit + Amp the outputs and uprate the speakers.
Find some proper Puma velour mats to replace the universal ones in there.
Give it a service + cambelt. I'll do the service - filters, oil, sparks etc.

It's not as bad in the flesh.. Odd. A different photo:

Thunderadvert1_zps1e9d516b.jpg

Dal said:
It's not as bad in the flesh.. Odd. A different photo:

Thunderadvert1_zps1e9d516b.jpg

Its called the flop angle. The face on picture here looks fine but when you look at the car at an angle, the pigment is laying differently to the other panels and appears darker. This could be because its the wrong shade (and there are lots in Moondust) or whoever sprayed it, didn't thin the paint correct, sprayed it on too wet, or didn't use a drop coat. Vast majority of the time you cannot paint edge to edge with silver because of all the variances that can occur, saves so much hassle this way. As they say, 'if in doubt, blend it out!'

I'd imagine the wing is the original bit actually as the rear arches have been done and that has probably been blended into the door.

But to be honest, for what I paid for it I couldn't give a monkeys if it's got 20 flop angles :derr:

Filled up today and got a tad under 45mpg for the tank so it's obviously running ok :)

Today's update:

Took out that troublesome 6006 (even though it works fine) and replaced it with a Kenwood mp3/USB headunit we had spare*. Easy choice of tunes now :)

*it used to be in Cherie's Millie and cuirass Pumas before that.
IMG_20130925_092925_zps10a86d42.jpg

evilrob said:
Kidders said:
evilrob said:
Kidders said:
That NSF Wing is a mile off. Looks like its come off a different car.
A bit like your kits... :-D
Nope.
I've just realised I've confused you for a guy on here called Kizza who makes fibreglass replica FRP panels.
facepalm.gif
Come on dear Rob... Try to keep up old bean!

Looking mighty fine there Dal. :thumbs:

CherryVimto said:
Come on dear Rob... Try to keep up old bean!
Would have been effing hilarious if it were the right person. That'll learn me not to try and be a smartarse at gone midnight.

Today's delivery creates a job for the weekend :eek:k:

IMG_20131001_082349_zps819c9fbe.jpg

IMG_20131001_082529_zps698768b1.jpg

More bits arrived for the impending service this weekend:

IMG_20131001_113812_zps63ff1b8f.jpg

IMG_20131002_123904_zps370dc295.jpg

And new parcel shelf hooks and clear side repeaters :eek:k:

Got little Thunder back from the bodyshop today (went in Monday) - all the sill rust has been removed (some welding was involved) they've been treated and sprayed back up moondust.
Can't tell the exact match in the rain, but there's no rust which is the main thing! :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back