1.7 track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobrider

New Puma owner here so thought I would document my Puma track car project. I own a garage and we are not new to track cars. Below is our Puma 1.7 power Fiesta track car run by my son

and here is my last track car, V6 MG ZS

So now onto my new track car project.

Puma 1.7 in metalic black with full black leather interior

Usual bubbly back arches but apart from that is pretty mint. Full service history, every MOT since new and every receipt for every bit of work done, including recent cambelt change. £375 courtesy of Gumtree. Taxed and tested too with 4 keys...

Did a bit of shopping with the funds from the MG sale

So, thats a stainless 4 - 2 - 1 manifold, straight through race centre section and a coice of 2 back boxes. Full set of green harnesses and suede deep dish steering wheel with boss kit. A full polybush set up and not pictured, two new bucket seats.

I'm on the lookout for a set of coilovers and cash is waiting for anyone with a set at a reasonable price.

There is a set of tuner wheel nuts that are for a set of Team Dynamics racing alloys in Kawasaki green that will be going on.

fitted the 4-2-1 manifold and race exhaust today, what a massive difference that makes to the car. Revs like a motorbike and accelerates like one too.

Also fitted som Team Dynamics multispoke alloys from a Peugeot, ther is a 20mm wider offset so got a wider stance without spacers.

Finally fitted the suede steering wheel. Car is transformed already cant wait to get it stripped out and get the buckets in.

Next Saturday, polybush everything, still looking for some reasonably priced coilovers.

manifold is an ebay special, was a bit poorly made and needed quite a bit of modification to make it fit. Had to grind the inlets down to get a smooth flow and tweak it a bit to get it to clear the drive shaft but for £150 can't complain too much.......

However, I did complain to the seller and got a great response, they refunded me £40 for the inconvenience.

It looks like a Miltek copy, the Pumesta has a proper Miltek fitted and comparing the two, the pipe lengths are very similar. It certainly made a big difference after fitting along with the straight through centre section and freeflow back box.

This is a budget track car but with the intention of showing how good you can do a track day car for under £2000 and be quicker than cars costing thousands more.

So far total cost is £930 including purchase of the car. Tyres and coilovers will be the biggest expense, probably more than the car lol. Based on what we have done to the Pumesta, I think we can get it as quick and possibly lighter and have some great ideas from the Pumesta's development.

Keep seeing them eBay specials. I am doing a similar thing to you but building a msa logbookd rally car my budget is 3k most of it coming from selling bits out my garage full of avenger bits.

I would say if your handy with a welder and on a tight budget it is certainly well worth the money. I have been assured that it is unusual for them to be so far out of line and if I hadn't managed to get it to fit they would have sent a replacement no bother.

My budget came from selling the MG track car, another very good buy at the moment from ebay is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190950464518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; full set of strut braces for £130. Mine have just arrived and they are proper OMP quality jobs, essential for a rally car but equally as important on a track car. That deal is a saving of £70 if you bought them individually.

I think your on a much tighter budget than me as a roll cage is essential and the scrutineering side of things will mean in date quality parts that will swamp a small budget.

Got a safety devices cage and some gaz motorsport coilovers both new for a realy good price just picked up a ss exhaust today and still got nearly 2k of my budget left! Should only need an upper brace as the cage holds the rear tight and the sump guard set up will hold the lower half.

nice one, upper brace is the expensive one though at £85 - 90, try http://www.strutbracer.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

got a fair bit done today.

Strppied everything out of the interior

had a huge pile of bits

revealed a rusty hole in the floor

so welded that up

Then made some brackets for the bucket seat and welded in some captive nuts

fitted the rear strut brace, welded in place

fitted the front upper strut brace

Bolted the seat and harness in place

Slowly getting there

Can you show me a picture how you fitted your harness? The angle of the belt on the original bottom attachment point is too large in my case. The top mount is unuseable for it as it doesn't have the right fittings.. Without a roll cage, I am curious how you fixed it.

PS: I am building a trackday car as well :cool:

nice one, excellent track cars.

I fitted the rear of the harness to the furthest high mounted seatbelt anchor point under where the parcel shelf is/was. It comes of the seat at a very flat angle but obviously does go slightly to the drivers side of the car, not enough to cause any problems though.

The left hand lower harness belt is fixed to the rear most seat mounting and the right hand lower belt is fixed to the original seat belt lower bolt.

I'll take som pics tomorrow when its light

there was, its bolted in using an original seatbelt mounting bolt and I used an original seat mounting bolt for the front one

Fantastic amount dun in one day. Looks like you could get a lot more weight out the car!
Have you had the car or planning to get it weight?
I have a 1000kg limit to stick to.

Latest posts

Back