Mr Fox's Puma

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!
Model: 1.7

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby PumaJay » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:29 am

Hoping to be at Blyton Park on 24th September
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Once again a good while with no changes (nearly 3 months) but got some bits done today.

10mm axle spacer swapped over for 30mm billet ones, sits beautiful at the rear and hopefully provides more stability with the extra 40mm of track.

after (rears and fronts in line)

Re-greased offside drum bearing as was looking dry, also replaced oem exhaust mounts for orange poly ones which you can see in the photo.

Had a goosey at the front pads and unfortunately due to the high ferrous content of the DS2500's they had again fairly badly crumbled round the sides and had to choice but replace them with oem pagids, with the super blue fluid and braided lines be interesting to see how they fair on track, plus with winter setting in it would be a lot safer running them as I have to admit the ferodo's were really quite wooden in the cold on the road!

Also gave her an oil change with Formula F and cleaned and re-oiled my old piper panel filter (looking tired now and needs replacing) and fitted a 300mm rear mirror for better track visibility and can concentrate more on what in front of me than what's behind

At Snetterton this Tuesday so will get some action pics up that evening.
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Didn't have any track shots but here's a selfie on the day..

So Last trackday of the year at Rockingham this Saturday and thought I'd tweak the car slightly

When Scott was selling his trackday car I brought his fibreglass bonnet off him (this was the first mould from the member once known as kizza) my plan was to wrap it but it needed quite a bit of filling and sanding first, its mostly a single skin but has the double skin hinge fitment with two support bars running through it, II will break this all off at some point and fit using 4 pins but for today I just wanted to get it on.

the 3d vinyl wrap I got for 99p (sold as used via ebay by some guy that had loads left over) the reflective L-plate was £8 and the orange graphic was £6

sanded down the edges flat so the vinyl would stick once folded over

Last edited by grayfox on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Other jobs I did was covered the drivers well with griptape so no more squeaking and slipping feet.

Saw a couple of car fluid funnel things for 50p and pictured brake ducting in my mind so cut them up and attached too two 53mm silicone tubes

You may notice on the wing mirrors from the photos in last post some small black fins to 'help' aero.
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Oh and I have a 1.7 turbo engine in the shed! (which I'll likely just be pinching the ported&polished head off)

0 x

stuvy
Adolescent
Adolescent

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby stuvy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:01 pm

What's your 1.7 turbo built up from?
0 x

Bentleya
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: FRP

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby Bentleya » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Looking good Neil :) , see you bright and early Saturday morning :ok: .
1 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:53 pm

stuvy wrote:Source of the post What's your 1.7 turbo built up from?

1.7 sigma, 65K, Ported and polished head, Top end rebuild, De comp plate 8.5 to 1 compression, Modine oil cooler, Fresh cam belt and tensioner, Modified sump with 8 connector (for turbo oil return) and T piece (high pressure oil feed)
0 x

stuvy
Adolescent
Adolescent

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby stuvy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Sorry to pester but what turbo and pistons/crank are you running? Lastly did you do the work yourself?
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 am

stuvy wrote:Source of the post Sorry to pester but what turbo and pistons/crank are you running? Lastly did you do the work yourself?

I brought the engine as you see it in the photo recently (i.e without turbo) no forged internals but ran 180bhp.

I'm not a mechanic/engineer so wouldn't attempt any work on it. I brought it purely for the head and will be selling the rest on (likely replacing the head) If you're interested (or fancy twisting my arm with the head) pm me :)
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:33 pm

AeroCatches Fitted

Had lots of wrap left over so did the bumper 'lip' too, getting used to this wrapping malarkey.

1 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby Brian' » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Bonnet is looking really nice Neil! Good job on the wrapping. Keep up the good work :ok:
0 x
Project Smurf Blueish - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22261"

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby Wild E. Coyote » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Looking nice, especally the bonnet.

One question though: are you allowed to have those flaps when driving on public roads (danger to passengers and pets etc...)?
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby PumaJay » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Looking good.

Made a very good job of the bonnet and catches!
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:58 am

Wild E. Coyote wrote:Looking nice, especally the bonnet.

One question though: are you allowed to have those flaps when driving on public roads (danger to passengers and pets etc...)?

Reasonable question, probably not but I'm not sure on them being 'illegal' they don't extend passed the front arches but can easily remove them so probably will do from now on just in case.

PumaJay wrote:Looking good.

Made a very good job of the bonnet and catches!

Well you say that but where the catches have been screwed down flat onto the curved surface this has pushed the front of the bonnet outwards so I have a pretty nasty overlap unfortunately :( but thanks.

Brian' wrote:Bonnet is looking really nice Neil! Good job on the wrapping. Keep up the good work :ok:

That bumper infill was 20 times harder than the bonnet I tell you.
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:07 am

Rockingham Garage on Sat, took vids but after uploading them once I got home I discover the camera had dropped down and all I captured was the passenger headrest lol, further track pics here for which I might buy a few

http://motorsportinfocus.co.uk/gallerie ... b65894c15a
Attachments
FB_IMG_1481537155805.jpg
1 x

PumaThunder
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: Thunder

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby PumaThunder » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:11 am

Some good varied pics there from rockingham. Car is looking great!
0 x

Bentleya
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: FRP

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby Bentleya » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:49 am

A few good photos of the little silver Puma being chased down by a rather savage Blue Fiesta.....
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 pm

I said to myself this year will be the year I use the car on track more than ever but I haven't been out yet, trying to save to buy my first house doesn't help mind!

Anyway tomorrow I'm going to get stuck in and work on the car.

One major issue is no brake bias, was locking rears a lot at Rockingham without braking particularly heavily (although it was wet so that obviously added to it) due to running 30mm billet axle spacers my self-test would constantly lock the wheels up and absolutely couldn't have that so I remember pulling both the green 30a abs pump fuse and pink 3a module fuse so thinking (and I may be very wrong) but if I replace the 3a I 'may' have the bias working again, if not I have a non-abs mk4 Master Cylinder and matching Servo but will need to get new lines made up.

Gathered some bargain goodies and selling stuff that's being replaced to mainly fund new tyres but also some toward future track days.

First off is my Sparco Rev's, they're very narrow and although light as feck 6kg, my love handles don't agree now and I'm getting back ache from my shoulders being so squashed so they're up for sale and two wider Cobra Imola Pro's going in with much better support! these are 8kg each and almost brand new out a rally car, got one in before the light failed today and get the other in tomorrow on fixed new alloy side mounts (which should offset the weight difference a bit)

nothing to hoover up after taking the cushion out adds to the fact they've had very little use

needed to remove the side hole trims so the bolts could line up

Next up wheels. Earlier in my thread I bagged a steal on ebay for a set of mint condition 15" 7J ford 'momo arrow type' alloys in KTM orange wrapped in R888's GG tyres.

Although they're awesome in may ways they're over 16kg each, I imagine most due to the width (and that with half worn tyres) so wanted to revert to lighter oem puma wheels. I've had 9-spokes and went clown crazy on a set of fan type's so especially with Stewarts recommendation a managed to bag a set of straight and true F1's with 6mm TR1's for £30! These weigh 14kg.

So the 'oranges' are going so are my current speedlines and these two will easily fund a new set of AD08R's

centre cap weight so they may stay off

Front bumper coming off tomorrow, modified 'bumper splitter' going on (so real splitter support rods can go through) other seat going in, TR1 coming off the F1's and may make a start with refurbishing, also upgrading the ignition system, got some 8mm magnecor leads and genuine motorcraft plugs (these produce a greater spark with 1.3mm gap although coilpack life depreciates)
1 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby grayfox » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Got the driver seat in, this took quite a bit of experimentation to get my position just right.

I'm slightly higher now but that's down to the fact I made adjustment so I'm more upright than before (combined with practically new and better support cushions) I'm the perfect distance from the wheel also now to the point where a full dished wheel would be too close and flat wheel too far away (saves buying a spacer too which I was close too) and have the exact right bend left in my knee after fully depressing the brake pedal :thumbs:

Also correctly adjusted the new 3" 4 point TRS harness (makes the passenger 2" 3 point TRS look so weedy in comparison)

It keep raining heavy on and off all day (and currently) so didn't get round to much else.

2 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Mr Fox's Puma

Postby Brian' » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Top job! :-D
0 x
Project Smurf Blueish - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22261"

Return to “ProjectPuma”