Corley Turbo Project

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

corley
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: 1.7

Re: Corley Turbo Project

Postby corley » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:55 pm

so still dialing in the map but its getting better by the day and im using the car as my daily again now.

I spent some time recently tidying up the two ECU's in the passenger foot well and also tidied up the engine bay by removing alot of the unused wiring and putting trunking in. Doesn't look like much but its made a big difference from before:

ive got some upgrades/goodies coming in the post but the next big job is probably rebuilding the turbo as it smokes a bit and has since day one and then upgrade clutch but these are not urgent jobs for now and i am just enjoying the car :)

im also thinking of getting a spoiler at some point just not sure which to go with, ive always thought the Puma looks awesome with a spoiler and ive kinda been waiting for the turbo conversion to complete before the car deserved/earnt a spoiler in my mind :)
0 x

fiestaseb
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby fiestaseb » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Looks so much better!
0 x

fiestaseb
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby fiestaseb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:28 pm

How's it getting on mate? Also I didn't mean to call you the other day haha my bad :)
0 x

siimsalabim
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby siimsalabim » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:55 pm

How is your car living? Any progress?
0 x

lex_pilmer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby lex_pilmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi guys, what model of turbo has been used on this? Has the downpipe and turbo been taken from a saab 9000 and bolted onto exhaust manny? Great project amd thinking of doing it this summer!!
0 x

corley
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby corley » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:42 pm

hi - sorry for the late reply!

yes car is still going strong and alot has changed i just need to fully update the project thread - i will try over the next few days. Currently running at 14PSI and estimated around 220 - 250BHP, just need a dyno run when i get time

here is the latest engine bay pic - i took the time at the start of 2016 to redesign a few things and also to show off a little more :) - i have spare manifolds and downpipes for sale if you re interested

Turbo is a T25 from a SAAB,cant remember off the top of my head but i think itsa 900 or 9000 - same for the down pipe although this needed modding to fit but was a good starting point
1 x

corley
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby corley » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:10 pm

okay so if i pick up were i got to back in March 2015:

wired in the ECU - got the car running nicely and using the car as a daily for approx 6 months. To say the car was both nippy and fun at this point was an understatement.

During the summer i got a subtle spoiler fitted and sprayed up(always wanted one of these for the Puma!) and was also able to get the car at a rolling road session with a friend and see what power i was running.

pre meet

so thats 166BHP and alot of torque, not bad for 6PSI low boost, minimal parts swapped and home made mapping - that was "stage 1" of the project complete

Stage 2
at the start of 2016 i took the car off the road and went for a higher boost and started uprating a few engine parts:

a record 4 hours to drop the engine with the help of a trusty old tyre. My parts also arrived around this time:

H beams, ARP bolts, Head Gaskets and decomp plate and paddle clutch

check out the difference in standard con rods vs the heavy duty H rods:

some random pics of engine build up:

more to come
4 x

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Model: Other

Corley Turbo Project

Postby red » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:28 am

Looking good :grin:
0 x
FRP#0201 (2000) 2009-2011
Melina Blue (1999) 2006-2009
Moondust Silver (2000) 2006

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Corley Turbo Project

Postby XAF » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:43 am

So that's where the last of the Ford headgaskets went :-P
0 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

lex_pilmer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby lex_pilmer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:46 am

Looks absolutly superb! Cant wait to get my hands on mine this spring for some heavy modding!!

Corley, how much for the custom manny and down pipe? Is it the downpipes thats already been modified?
Sorry question heavy, but also how have you moved the turbo to sit higher? Is this anither custom manifold you have a had made?
Cheers!
0 x

corley
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby corley » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:01 pm

red wrote:Source of the post Looking good :grin:

thanks!

XAF wrote:Source of the post So that's where the last of the Ford headgaskets went :-P

haha didn't realise there was a shortage surprised me how much they cost!- but at least it went to a good cause :)

lex_pilmer wrote:Source of the post Looks absolutly superb! Cant wait to get my hands on mine this spring for some heavy modding!!

Corley, how much for the custom manny and down pipe? Is it the downpipes thats already been modified?
Sorry question heavy, but also how have you moved the turbo to sit higher? Is this anither custom manifold you have a had made?
Cheers!

i'll send you a PM mate
1 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Corley Turbo Project

Postby Brian' » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Impressive thread Corley! Keep up the good work
0 x
Project Smurf Blueish - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22261"

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Corley Turbo Project

Postby Wild E. Coyote » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:45 am

yes car is still going strong and alot has changed i just need to fully update the project thread - i will try over the next few days. Currently running at 14PSI and estimated around 220 - 250BHP, just need a dyno run when i get time

Having had another read through this one thing don't understand: if you made custom conrods (sensible and needed thing!) why didn't you just order them shorter by a milimeter or 1.5 mm to avoid the decompression plate?

Not to be mistaken, I like the build a lot!
0 x

corley
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby corley » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Wild E. Coyote wrote:Source of the post yes car is still going strong and alot has changed i just need to fully update the project thread - i will try over the next few days. Currently running at 14PSI and estimated around 220 - 250BHP, just need a dyno run when i get time

Having had another read through this one thing don't understand: if you made custom conrods (sensible and needed thing!) why didn't you just order them shorter by a milimeter or 1.5 mm to avoid the decompression plate?

Not to be mistaken, I like the build a lot!

the conrods are not custom made just for me, its from a company that does forged 1.7 parts - the conrods should be paired with the forged pistons that lower the compression. I did some thinking and decided the two weak parts of the engine/transmission are the conrods and the gearbox, the conrods i could upgrade :) but the gearbox - nope!

So i have capped or limited the amount of boost and power at 14PSI and did not bother with the pistons, i am confident if i had the forged pistons aswell and the gearbox could take it i could go higher :)

i have one more build update to post hopefully this weekend i can upload the were i am now
Last edited by corley on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Fanwheel
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby Fanwheel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 pm

Great project Corley. I really like the subtle look of that spoiler - looks like it was meant to be on the Puma. What type/make is it?
0 x
1.7 Moondust Silver (1999) 2014 to present
1.7 Panther Black (1998) 2001 to 2005

corley
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby corley » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 pm

just a cheapy one off ebay - always wanted a spoiler for the Puma and decided when it was turbo'd it deserved one :)

the spoilers do finish off the back of the car IMO
1 x

corley
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby corley » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:01 am

okay so final post and the car/project is up to date

now i had rebuilt the engine with uprated conrods, uprated clutch and also lowered the compression i cracked up the turbo boost from 6PSI to 16PSI! to say i was happy and the car was rapid would be and understatement! but it wasn't to last long. After 2 weeks of maximum power :) the turbo began screaming loudly when under boost - i thought i had killed my turbo

i took everything apart, the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe, oil feeds etc and discovered this:

so you can see the exhaust manifold to turbo gasket had blown!

i ordered an uprated copper gasket and whilst waiting took the opportunity to totally redesign everything, turbo position, downpipe and intercooler route - i'll let the pics do the talking of some of the work in progress:

most important part of the build: epic saxophone

new downpipe tacked next to my older one that was used for my behind engine turbo position

new downpipe below:

and of course the final product

cars been running since Feb 2016 in this configuration at 14PSI

next steps now are to get a dyno run and compare the power to the lower boost setup later this year - comments and feedback welcome
2 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Corley Turbo Project

Postby Wild E. Coyote » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:54 am

I like your setup very much. I mean the pipeing over instead below the engine. Looks very professional setup.
If I see right, the battery is not in engine compartment anymore? Was that by force of turbo conversion, or purely your decision?
Also, I am looking at your turbo setup. Why didn't you turn the turbo for 180 degrees to be able to avoid the saxophone inlet pipe to it? I guess there is some reason, but on top of my head I can't see one? Could it be that the downpipe would then hit the servopump necessitating this orientation?
How much of a clearance there is beween the pipes and bonnet?
Don't take my questions as sign of criticism, I am really admiring the job and since I constantly feel a distant need to the same (until I see the petrol prices) I am curious about all the details...

Very nice indeed. How is the clutch holding?
0 x

corley
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby corley » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:57 pm

Wild E. Coyote wrote:Source of the post I like your setup very much. I mean the pipeing over instead below the engine. Looks very professional setup.
If I see right, the battery is not in engine compartment anymore? Was that by force of turbo conversion, or purely your decision?
Also, I am looking at your turbo setup. Why didn't you turn the turbo for 180 degrees to be able to avoid the saxophone inlet pipe to it? I guess there is some reason, but on top of my head I can't see one? Could it be that the downpipe would then hit the servopump necessitating this orientation?
How much of a clearance there is beween the pipes and bonnet?
Don't take my questions as sign of criticism, I am really admiring the job and since I constantly feel a distant need to the same (until I see the petrol prices) I am curious about all the details...

Very nice indeed. How is the clutch holding?

hey its fine, i could talk about Pumas all day :)

i moved the battery towards the start of the project, i think i could do the build with the battery still in the engine bay but it would be very tight and just annoy me!

i moved the turbo is this orientation on purpose so the turbo boost pipe would go over the engine, i i had it 180 degree it would straight down the engine like my original build and i wanted this to be different. the boost pipes and bonnet are fairly close but it all shuts and fits fine.
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Corley Turbo Project

Postby PumaJay » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Looking good, nice set up!
0 x

fiestaseb
Adolescent
Adolescent

Corley Turbo Project

Postby fiestaseb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Thread revival, if the turbo was 180 degrees rotated the downpipe would hit/ be very close to the power steering pump

It was the easiest route mark and myself could agree with

Going to miss this car :(
0 x

Return to “ProjectPuma”