"clyde"

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faster _ faster

Affectionately named by my missus...

But am quite bored so thought I'd make a little write up on him. As his mot failed yesterday and his tax is due Monday and I am rapidly running out of money and patience this maybe the shortest project thread in the history of project puma...

Still, everyone say hello clyde!

He is an R reg 1.7 with 130'000 on the clocks... easily recognizable by the 'Zombie killer' sticker on one of the rear window, I didn't put it there but I kinda think it's cool so left it there and now it's part of him!

At the end of last year and over past couple of months it became apparent that some work was required, so got my tools out, sorted out;
1 bottom ball joint,
1 steering knuckle,
3 roll bar drop links,
new disks and pads,
1 entire drive shaft,
1 CV joint,
2 inner anti roll bar bushes
4 tyres
1 track rod end
1 track rod

Still needs,
2 wheel cylinders,
Bottom ball join/steering knuckle
Welding

He being welded now.... £200 that's costing me!!

Right now to list some mods....

Lowered unknown amount 30 - 40 mm I reckon
300mm front brakes
Braided brake hoses on front (will do rears when I change the back brakes today I hope)
Poly anti roll bar bushes
Cheap induction kit till I can get a proper k&n panel and new air box.

He needs painting some point this year as the current paint is simply shocking but I can live with waiting for that! All the interior apart from parcel shelf is alright and bar a damn good service and cambelt kit he runs sweet as a nut!

Here some photos of my tinkering

300mm st170 brakes hiding behind 15 in turbine... me like
Poly bushes hiding away but snuggly at home
Nice looking in the wheel arch!
That CV was really buggered!
The noise maker 1.7

Still... more to come and if he stays alive then there more plans to come!!

My first Puma was an early '98 and I loved it.

The early ones are getting quite old now, so we can expect to have to give them a little work and attention, but it always seems that these cars need everything in one go!

If you can afford it, stick with it. These are wicked, fun little cars and the smile factor always outweighs the financial cost in the end!

With the higher mileage, plenty of oil changes will help keep her sweet.
I'm currently almost touching 150,000 miles and she still pulls better than my old one with less miles.

If you're changing the bushes to Poly, then they SHOULD outlast the car. Once they are done, that's less to do/replace in a few years.

Ok got him back from welding and it's passable for now, not bad considering what he needed and the cost.

So as that's done thought I'd crack on with the rest of it and popped open my goodie back of bits

Got into the smallest work space I could fit into

Started with bottom ball joint, checked the knuckle (which was a concern as I've already changed it once and had same symptoms!)

Doesn't look knackered so fitted new ball joint

Might have over tightened it a little bit....

So that's me screwed as can't put it back on its wheels till get a new one and can't get a new one till Monday unless someone breaking a ford round here and I happen to bump into them... not happy bunny right now as it literally happened 5 mins after euro car parts closed!!

Heey cherry. .. I've already changed the bushes, old rubber ones were not going anything to be honest, and whole reason of using Poly was so they'd outlast the car haha... still when I finish crying into my energy drink I can concentrate on getting a new bolt sorted and maybe just getting it back on wheels tonight

Ok... got back to work this mornkng, looking for this bolt and found one! A friend recommended that I try the one place open on Sunday (banger racer track not far!) They only had a box of the bloody things! ! So what do you do when you break something and replacement parts cost less than a fiver? YOU BUY TWO!

Quick comparison and boom, fits a dream... New ball joint new bolt... no play, happy me!!

So on with new brakes to find that euro car parts were bang on with telling me there are 2 different types of rear shoes.... Unfortunately when I went and got them they give me the wrong type and some for a Fiat punto. .. not happy bunny right now! Everything at a halt again!

Ps can you guys let me know what you think of my photos... using the camera on my phone in hdr setting... more later as going spare have come to my rescue again and have the right shoes for me to fit

He back on his wheels. .. After much pain in the arse I've tweaked the brakes replaced the shoes and made sure the adjusters never seize again!

Now just got to call them Monday and sort out the retest.

That's grubby greasy mits trying to clean the lens whilst also trying not to throw nearest thing to hand! I already punched a wing don't wanna hurl a 250 quid phone into a flints tone wall haha

Keep up the good work. When I refit bolts I always cover them in copper slip.

Clyde is back burning rubber today! Mot passed 9:14 taxed at 10:14... happy bunny can razz him round again. .. legally of course

Ok so now he back on the road, I been cleaning a bit. Nothing special as I'm afraid paint is shocking and so much trim needs work it would be wasted.

Still some snaps!

Also thinking of posting a video but having watched it back I'm afraid it looks like I'm being an idiot thanks to the amazing camera shake and auto focus

What inside looks like

Decided whist doing some routine checks (oil water etc) I decided to break out my brand new tool kit and pop the plugs out they're looking a tad worn out and the gap is huge! Think I'm off to buy some new ones!

damn those old plugs are looking a bit oily.. your rocker gaskets not leaking is it?

Nah can't see any trace of oil down the inside there, just see a small amount at the bottom that looks like it's been there a while... maybe it was and someone didn't clean it up or someone took the engine cover off and missed when topping up the oil. But rocker looks ok in there

Latest posts

Back