Ford puma cup car.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsjonny

Ok so heres my project its a Xreg 2000 1.7 ford puma 108600 miles full service history from new with all cambelt changes and a wallet full of receipts and old mot's. I will be converting it into a puma cup race car over the next few months. I bought it a couple of days ago its a little rough round the edges(rear wheel arches) but nothing that cannot be sorted. Heres a few pics of the car....

Annoyingly the car has started with a slight knocking yesterday on startup its not too loud and the car sounds fine on revs so Im going to give her a full service with the correct oil first and see if it clears up. If not Ill rebuild it or build another engine for the car.

The car will be going to EMC motorsport in january for a full rollcage fitting and painting inside and out.

Heres the plans for the car.

Painted in Riviera blue or olympic blue
Full Cage
Bucket seat harnesses
Race Wheel
Full GAZ coilover puma cup suspension
Polybushed rear
Superchipped sealed ECU
Fitting of all cut off switches
Battery relocated in FIA battery box to boot.
Puma cup manifold and exhaust
Wheels painted black and dunlop semi slicks fitted.
Possibly other extras such as carbon door cards etc but I will see how much funds allow.

The car came with air con and heated screen so ill be removing the air con and the heater matrix and just running the heated screen. I will also be stripping off the suspension painting the underside with underseal then replacing lower arms etc. progress maybe slow initially but hopefully I can kick it up a notch in the new year. Plans are to have it out testing late next year with a view to doing a few rounds in 2016. This is my first race car project so it will be an experience along the way but I enjoy building things so should be a lot of fun too. The stripping of the interior starts on monday to get her ready for EMC after christmas.

Thanks for reading.

Excellent Johnny, we too are looking at entering the Puma Cup, hopefully next year but with time slipping away it may end up being 2016.

Realistically , I think we are pushing it for 2015, need a race licence test x2, FIA approved kit (overalls etc), trailer, towing vehicle, accommodation for the season at meets plus entry fees... Had a word with the Puma cup boys and £10k is the budget I'd be looking at and I think I'm pushing it a bit without a big sponsor helping us out. That said we are pursuing it and still enthusiastic about getting on the start line.

Best of british to you and if I can help just give me a shout

Noobrider said:
Excellent Johnny, we too are looking at entering the Puma Cup, hopefully next year but with time slipping away it may end up being 2016.

Realistically , I think we are pushing it for 2015, need a race licence test x2, FIA approved kit (overalls etc), trailer, towing vehicle, accommodation for the season at meets plus entry fees... Had a word with the Puma cup boys and £10k is the budget I'd be looking at and I think I'm pushing it a bit without a big sponsor helping us out. That said we are pursuing it and still enthusiastic about getting on the start line.

Best of british to you and if I can help just give me a shout

I'm in the same position as you except I have a trailer that needs some work. I've budgeted 5 k for the car build. But I've not raced before so I need race licence all my gear etc. realistically I think I'll do the rounds near to home in 2016 and some track days. I don't want to pursue sponsors until I can mix it up a bit on track. I just want to get the car done then I'll worry about the rest later. I'm an electrical / mechanical engineer by trade so I'm hoping to save money doing most of the work myself. For a full season your looking at 4k in just racing the other 6k is car build. The emc cars are very nice but to expensive for me. If you stick to stock colour on the car and welded the cage yourself you could probably do it for 7k all in I reckon as Alex from emc has said they set a budget of 3k when deciding the car spec. Hopefully one day I'll see you on track good luck to you as well :grin:

I also am looking at going racing next year and I am looking at the MSVT trackday trophey as the regulations are not strict, I am planning on using this to test the water and budgeting around 2K. All my recent upgrades are FIA compliant and will try and do this myself before looking at sponsers if I enter the Puma Cup 2016.

Sounds so simple :?

aaron86 said:
I also am looking at going racing next year and I am looking at the MSVT trackday trophey as the regulations are not strict, I am planning on using this to test the water and budgeting around 2K. All my recent upgrades are FIA compliant and will try and do this myself before looking at sponsers if I enter the Puma Cup 2016.

Sounds so simple :?

Sounds a good plan I had a look at the track day trophy and various other series but eventually settled on the puma cup will you be grouped in with the 2 litres in the track day trophy ? Is it still a shared driver race ? . As long as your realistic about budget you will be fine I think . But like every form of motorsport there are no cheap ways to do it. I see your from Leeds I'm near Huddersfield where do you take your car ?

In the trackday trophy you can be a solo entrant as long you have not exceeded 6 race entries and as I have never raced before might be the best entry level series for me. I have taken my car to Croft, Cadwell, Blyton and occasionally hire out Yorkshire Autodrome. Just had a quote for a custom cages clubman cage supplied and fitted for £1150, still shopping around but as soon as I get that done there shouldn't be that much else I need to do to mine.

seems like its the West Yorkshire track gang...I'm from Bradford. Oulton Park is our closest track....and my favourite

Noobrider said:
seems like its the West Yorkshire track gang...I'm from Bradford. Oulton Park is our closest track....and my favourite

Haha yeah will have to all get out on track when I've finished mine

I'm not sure if you guys get out on track as a group but it sounds a great idea a load of pumas out at once. Trublustu we will make you honory Yorkshire for the day :lol:

Oh god no...

Its getting late for this year, apart from Blyton next month, my car will be curling up in its nest soon...
Cadwell or Oulton early in the spring sounds like a good idea.
I'm hoping to get to Rockingham in March.

yeah Cadwell next week and Blyton in November will be the last two this year for us too. A nice spring meeting at Oulton sounds good to me - gives me chance to lose a bit more weight and get the semi slicks

You guys get something organised if mines up and running by then I'll join in. :grin:

Is there a website or something that shows you what parts etc you need to be able to get the cars up to spec for the Puma Cup? I've seen the website but it doesn't say what all the relevant parts are for example who makes the exhaust manifold? Who makes the roll cage etc?

I'm looking at doing the same as you guys, but can do most of the vehicle prep myself which would help with keeping down the costs.

Do any of you guys know or am I better calling one of the dealers and asking them?

Thanks

r53bertyboo said:
Is there a website or something that shows you what parts etc you need to be able to get the cars up to spec for the Puma Cup? I've seen the website but it doesn't say what all the relevant parts are for example who makes the exhaust manifold? Who makes the roll cage etc?

I'm looking at doing the same as you guys, but can do most of the vehicle prep myself which would help with keeping down the costs.

Do any of you guys know or am I better calling one of the dealers and asking them?

Thanks
Most information can be found on this site:
http://pumacup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Brian,

I've seen the site and had a good look around it, including the recommended builders sites. However I haven't been able to find a definitive list of parts that are required to complete the Cup spec package as suggested in the PDF document that I have also downloaded. I have found some rust on my car (That I wasn't aware off until the interior was removed), and as I am not a welder I want to try and come up with a rough price to complete my car versus buying a pre-built one if you follow me.

So to do that I need to know what parts are in the Puma Cup kit that mentioned so that I can factor that into the overall price.

Any help would be great here,

Thanks,

r53bertyboo said:
Thanks Brian,

I've seen the site and had a good look around it, including the recommended builders sites. However I haven't been able to find a definitive list of parts that are required to complete the Cup spec package as suggested in the PDF document that I have also downloaded. I have found some rust on my car (That I wasn't aware off until the interior was removed), and as I am not a welder I want to try and come up with a rough price to complete my car versus buying a pre-built one if you follow me.

So to do that I need to know what parts are in the Puma Cup kit that mentioned so that I can factor that into the overall price.

Any help would be great here,

Thanks,

I have a parts list I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

I've been in touch with the Puma cup guys as we were planning on entering next year. £3 - £4K to build a car but £6 - £7k for a seasons racing on top

Thanks[/quote]
Most information can be found on this site:
http://pumacup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

Ive had a look at this site.
there seems to be a pretty comprehensive list of required modifications and specifications on the home page!
Click on "Competitor Regulations" at the top of the page.
The Cars are fairly free, but youd need to be careful with any mods you make along the way
(I`d have to refit a standard brakes and doorcards to qualify!)

Latest posts

Back