JASAPP

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder
Model: 1.7

JASAPP

Post by tuonokid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Just had a thought, does the new box have a fixed shaft at the back of the engine as that would be a good place to mount a trigger as there is only rotary movement on that.
0 x
2001 ColOrado red Puma 1.7, work in progress.
Westfield SEIW 1800 Zetec.
Building Westfield SEI 2.0 Zetec Blacktop on TBs.
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80
Now working on my sons Anglia 105e

My Project Link - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=23509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:39 pm

tuonokid wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:06 pm
Hi Sinisa
The trigger wheels I've seen are usually quite light duty so to weld those to the flange of the driveshaft would be quite difficult but i'm sure you could epoxy them on but is there room on the inner flange because the flange is quite recessed down into the gearbox and there are strengthening webs around there (from memory)
That is actually not a bad idea! Glueing it in place. There is enough space, I checked. The only problem would be scaling down the signal as it would be 4-5 times bigger frequency, than needed. Ok, that is one option. Still think the best option is using the rear hubs, but alternative solution is always a bonus.

I might open up a gearbox and check if there is enough space on differential to take the tone ring from MTX75, but am very reluctant to the idea of drilling the housing so woud rather mount the sensor from outside...
0 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

JASAPP

Post by XAF » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Sinisa, you have blown my mind again!! How do you even know where to start with this stuff?!!

I’m in awe, and can’t wait to see the result!
0 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQzkdK2ha0

1:40...
A bit from here, a bit from there.... :wink:

All is there on the net, you just have to search and study :!:
1 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:52 pm

So, a smallish update. I am sorry that progress is very slow, but I am just so busy lately and by the time I get home it is pitch dark and cold and since I have no heating in my mancave the things are not progressing as I would like them to!

So I am now focusing mainly on research and planning...

Anyway, this is the setup I am going to use (hopefully) as my VSS replacement.

This is the camshaft position sensor from a Hyundai i30/i20. Nothing fancy about it, just happened to have access to the connector and pigtail for it, hence the choice. When you come down to it, all are the same, i.e. do the same thing. As said, all the sensors are doing the same thing, the only differences among them is the packaging. There are som other candidates if this one turns out to be unsuitable.This one is Hall type, what is denoted by 3 wires.

One wire is +, the other is ground and the third one is signal. It works both on 12V (as intended in Hyundai, most probably to be more resilient to distortions) and 5V. When sensor is in proximity of a ferrous metal it opens up the signal and sends the puls of 12V or 5V (depending on what is connected to).

There are two wire sensors which are VR (inductive) and they produce sinusoidal voltage that needs processing to be turned into voltage peaks needed by PCM, instrument cluster and PS pump. They need certain speed of rotation for the rings to be of use. The same type is used in ABS in puma and as you know it doesn't work below 5-6 kph. Hence I opted for Hall type.

I will have this tone ring laser cut from 4.5 - 5 mm thick steel plate (not stainless, it has to be magnetic)

It has 9 teeth as that is what my instrument cluster needs per wheel revolution to operate. The Toyota PS pump needs 4.5 pulses per wheel revolution so that signal would need scaling down by 50%. The idea is to have it installed to the rear hub. Might make additional 3 holes for attaching it to the hub by 3 bolts to secure it properly. There will some be needed some bracket for the sensor, but will cross that bridge when come to it.

The other option would be to use another ABS sensor at rear already existing tone rings (you can just make another opening for it on the other side of the hub) but that one has 44 teeth so would need some serious scaling down (dividing by factor of 4.89 for IC and by 9.78 for PS pump) and, as already explanined, wouldn't operate below 5-6 kph, but no need for machining the hub, fabricating the bracket etc...

So that's it for the moment. When there is some development, will post it
1 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Smallish update from JASAPP. As was preparing it for a weekend drive, discovered a leak from power steering servo system. Had a good look, and the pressure pipe corroded in front. Not the cooler, but the twisted section in front of A/C compressor.

That rubber which is suppsed to protect it was a reason for failure. It collected moisture and the pipe corroded through. So, had a real fun taking it out yesterday. Had to take the battery out and then only just could undo the pipe from steering rack.
Anyway, it is out. After washing, cleaning and drying...

It really is a testament to stupidity of a person who designed it. It is part of high pressure circuit and it must be altogether 2 meters long with two elastic sections. It could have been made 0.5 meters in length but someone thought this was cheaper option then to put PS switch next to the rack, behind gearbox (plenty of space for that). Instead, it runs along engine to the front to get the PS swithc next to A/C compressor switch on line and then goes all the way back to the rack. Really, really stupid solution!

Talking stupid: is there anything more prone to failures than the notorious HCV? The second one broke on me. I noticed some coolant was missing, and thought I smelled it too, but this was final proof:

Again the front section broke as the pipe is twisting it with the engine movements. I am so fed up with this idiotic solution that I will be making my bespoke HCV out of metal to prevent this kind of shit happening again. I will be using the solenoid part from the plastic HCV, but the housing and pipeing will be made out of aluminum or something similar. The solenoid will be bolted to it (as it is now) and that should work as intended, but hopefully no more these breakages.
0 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

JASAPP

Post by tuonokid » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi Sinisa
How are you going to repair it, with new pipes from Ford or go to a Hydraulic shop and have custom pipes made up? When I get the pipes off my scrapper Thunder I'm hoping I can get some made up in better materials at Pirtek.
Barry
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

My Project Link - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=23509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:18 am

Hi Barry,

As interim solution I will buy another one, but will use this one as a template. The left pipe (which is broken) is only connection for the two hoses anyway. The other has to provide housing for the solenoid valve..

And if you were asking (most probably you were) about the power steering hose, I will get it repaired. As you know my plan is to get rid of it anyway later when I install the Toyota pump so this will be useless. And given the Toyotoa PS pump will be fixed to bodywork, no flexyble hoses will be needed so I will bend a copper hose and fix it to the bodywork.
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:35 pm

Spent some time with JASAPP today. Had the servohose repaired. It is made as one piece unit by Ford, the shop made it in sections. That is good, as three parts will reuse when convert everything to the Toyota PS pump.

Anyway, the rotten part that burst was remade. Here it is in picture. Reused the section where the pressure switch goes in the system and which is the reason for such a lenghty hose.

The flexible parts were made new. The shop says they stopped using regular hydraulic hoses becuse they had some issues with some of the PS fluids so now they are using the Continental flexy hose which is OEM.

Also, the first section which bolts to the steering rack is next to them. Those are the parts I will reuse later.

And complete set. Since it is now a five peace design, install should be much easier.

Before install had all the pipes painted. Used brush and thick paint, no thinner at all to give it extra protection in the long run.

While the paint was curing, replaced the infamous HCV.

That is it at the moment. Still waiting for the paint to cure properly so haven't put the car together yet.
0 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

JASAPP

Post by tuonokid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:03 am

Hi Sinisa
Good to see the latest original part Ford HCV used, it should last at least 5 years.
Barry
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:21 am

Barry, that was exactly the life I got out of FeBi unit. I swear they are all made at the same factory, just are branded and priced differently. But as I said, I will be making a alloy one which will put an end to the ticking sound of a timebomb in action that can be audible every time I am in the car....
0 x

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Model: Other

JASAPP

Post by red » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 pm

The HCV is so stupid, literally failing across all the Fords..KAs..Fiestas.. surely there must be a better solution already?
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:53 pm

It speaks volumes that Mk1 and all subsequent models of focus had 'classic' solution. Classic means that there is no HCV, but coolant is instead circulating all the time through the cabin heater but the heater is closed it self (i.e. no air circulation). Puma uses different logic: no flap to close the air circulation through the heater, but closing of the coolant flow.
Almost all the other manufacturers use the 'classic' solution, so draw your own conclusions.... :roll:
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:28 pm

So, after letting the paint cure for a week or so, finally repaired the car. TBH, spent most of the week searching for the spanner for the hidraulic hoses and couldn't find one. Only sets and didn't want to invest so much money into them as they won't be needed....
To make things worse, found at one store spanners a piece, and they had 17/19 mm combo, but not the 18 mm!

So bought a regular 18 mm spanner and sacrificed it....

Used a grinder on it and this is the result

The part that was leaking is replaced by a new one.

Also, the new flexy hoses just barely visible behind power steering pressure switch

They are detacheable and the PS line is now a multypiece design

The hose that runs below the engine

Started her up, added PS fluid, the pump right away quietened down. No leaks, working nicely.

Since the battery was detached let her idle until the fan started up, added some demineralised water in the system and went for a test drive. All working as it should, so gave her some long overdue wash and some claying as well...

What a car! :wub: :wub:
4 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

JASAPP

Post by tuonokid » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi Sinisa
Wouldn't a crows foot spanner have sorted it?
Barry
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:18 am

Hi Barry,

The regular fork spanner (as we call it) is not a solution as there is no space for it;the other line is very close. Any variation including that fork spanner is a no go solution.
It has to be like this, unfortunately, or the regular spanner for the hidrualic lines. That one was unobtainable so....
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

JASAPP

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:23 am

Just to report that JASAPP passed MOT again with flying colours! :grin:

Had a bit of problem initally, but that was due to me, not the car! When I appeared at MOT station, the lady at reception desk reported that my ID has expired. And she was right. Surely I can approach MOT with driver's licence? Nope, only ID or passport are valid documents. Since we became part of EU passport was no longer needed I had let it expire on purpose, but forgot to check on ID expiry date. So, it was a no go. But, in all clarity and whisdom, our goverment has left a possibility of me to authorize someone to do it for me. There is even a form for doing so. And, this is my favourite part, I can just sign it and no documents are needed to give somebody authorisation for that?!?! So I, the owner, can't approach a MOT without valid ID, but I, still without valid ID, can authorize someone to do it for me?!?
Stupid bureacrats. So I authorised my wife to stand by me while the MOT was taking place. Went to a different station but the set of questions and wonders was the same.

Are those original headlights? Yes they are.
They surely don't look like it?! You can check here the homologation numbers if you like, they are genuine....

That settled that.

Time for brake efficiency test. Hummmh, this can't be right...
Again (fiddling with his remote to start the rollers again). Hummh, this can't be right... (now turning to me): what is the mileage of this car? It is in front of you, sir, 243785 kms...
I have never seen so even brake operation on a car which is not new, even the new ones don't brake like this...?!

(I checked the printout later; front brakes have difference of 3% left and right, rears are dead same (0%) and the hand brake is the same as well).
Checked the headlights aiming and that was it. The ecotest (emissions test) was spot on, everything deep in the green. A really well made car! With that done, and weather warming up the ecoboost swap is getting imminent... :wink:
Last edited by Wild E. Coyote on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

JASAPP

Post by XAF » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:26 am

Great result Sinisa!!

Love it when garages are surprised by our little Puma’s!
1 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

JASAPP

Post by tuonokid » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:17 am

Well done Sinisa, it shows the brake conversion works :thumbs: Don't we just love the EU? :grin:
Barry
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Model: Other

JASAPP

Post by red » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 pm

Love the signing over part :grin:

Here anyone could take your car in for you provided it still had some MOT and was insured for them to drive.
0 x
FRP#0201 (2000) 2009-2011
Melina Blue (1999) 2006-2009
Moondust Silver (2000) 2006

Return to “ProjectPuma”