Y411 EAF

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppyuk

Thought I'd better start a project thread :)

Wife gave her little Puma a little too much and I suspect the bottom end is on the verge of going pop. Currently drives ok, but seems a little down on power and it's got a very slight knock, something between a quiet death rattle and a blowing exhaust, but not constantly, just some times!
Due to that this has now become another project for me.

More to follow as it happens :D

Unfortunately I've found a lose spark plug, seems to be running sweet now, although it really does need some more get up and go. So I might just replace the motor anyway :twisted:

But while it's running for now I can get all the other little bits and bobs sorted out:-

1, Front top mounts.
2, Drivers door card rattles and isn't attached at the top.
3, Knocking/clanging from the rear suspension if you catch a bad pot hole.
4, Brakes are poor, I replaced the rear drums and shoes a couple of months ago, suspect cheapy pads up front and old fluid.

No doubt some more things will show up over the next week or so.

Mine makes a death rattle too, it's the big end shells, and occasionally piston slap, due to being run without enough oil. If she's given it some and the oil level was too low then you may have had a bit of oil starve.

Or, it could be a broken prison ring, which would cause a loss of compression (and power) and would cause a bit of piston slap. Check for blue smoke out of the exhaust when it's being sluggish, and a quick rattle from the bottom end when starting from cold.

Engine was peachy over the 4-5 miles I covered this morning, I'm pretty sure it was just the lose spark plug. Everything else we own is 2L and turbo, one comfy Volvo and one fire breathing Celica so the Puma is always on the back foot as far as straight line performance is concened.

As always, progress is a little slower than planned.

Replacement engine serviced and ready to fit. Just got to get the rest of he car ready now :)

Actually the Puma is a very simple affair. Wait until you take the dash out of a Bentley, then you will understand the meaning of pain.

It's not all that bad, it's just the differences between the old and new looms. Can't believe Ford made so many changes to a car that was only in production for a few years!

It's taken a while, but at last I've got enough working bits to start using the Puma. :)

After a quick test run up the road and back last night I have to say I'm surprised how torquey it feels.

Latest posts

Back