€600 Project Puma(s)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u2gav

Last year I bought 2000 1.4 Puma at auction for €350.00 (€400) including fees etc.

I had spent months searching the classifieds for reasonably rust free model, I had almost given up when I spotted this one in local auction, had a quick look at it and although it wasn't too rusty ( just on the arches ) as I later discovered its faults were all quite small but plenty of them.

Here it is the day after I collected it: Quite literally a polished turd
Puma_zpspz7rf8kw.jpg

Over the following weeks I discovered why this very presentable Puma had found its way to the auction house:

1. If you left the lights on pulled out the keys the engine wouldn't shut off ( Without doubt the biggest and strangest issue I have dealt with)
2. Central locking didn't work/ drivers lock didn't work ( I had to lock/unlock it on the passenger side )
3. Radio didn't work
4. Rear wiper didn't work nor did the water jet
5. Indicators didn't self cancel on the left side/ High beam had a mind of its own
6. Heater constantly on and only on hot (HCV)
7. Digital clock not working
8. Passenger window not working
8. Cosmetically is was good however a scrape on the the bonnet had been badly repaired.

I figured all of the above were annoying enough for someone else just to walk away from it, I am not so easily defeated.
So when an identical Puma with blown radiator came up for sale quite literally across the road from me I jumped at it!
For a measly €200 I now had all spare parts I could possibly want!
9c4434c2-6e0a-45d2-b8e9-81315a62e334_zpsf8oq5o9t.jpg

Parts car on the right

It only took a day or so swapping the indicator stalk, wiper motor, window switch etc and a couple of small interior bits. I bought an OE HCV from Ford after reading up on here its the best option, even though the heating works fine in the parts car, given how often they fail I figured the best job would be to buy new one. I took the key fob and reprogrammed it so that has sorted out the central locking issue. I also swap over 2 curbed alloys for 2 perfect wheels.

The only thing I needed professional help with was item number 1, the bizarre lights and key issue, I took it to a mechanic friend that traced it to an issue with the rear parking sensors install( Fancy ). After a couple minutes undoing the twisting and taping of which ever ape installed it he soldering everything correctly and all it cost me was a couple of pints in the local.

Absolutely every single thing now works as it should plus I have a whole car load spares, all that's left to do is swap the bonnets over.

I'll get some pictures of the finished car up soon.

Also a huge thank you to everyone that contributes to this site, I didn't have to ask many questions because 9/10 times I found the answer on here :cool:

:cool: an abundance of spares definitely made your life easier there!!

The parts you used probably could have totalled that on their own with postage etc and you still have loads of stuff left over. Great work :grin:

Thanks guys.
I'm undecided what to do with the second Puma, I can't really keep it outside the house for much longer or the wife will kill me. Its fairly rotten along sills and it needs a new rad plus it has probably over heated as a result so its beyond saving as far as I can see but I'd hate to see if go to the scrapper.
If there's anyone in Ireland in need of parts just PM me and I'll get back to you, its already saved one Puma I'm sure it can save a few more.

Sounds like a good situation to be in - here's hoping it's not doubled up on any issues! And I agree, very resourceful.

Latest posts

Back