The "If I can do it, you can" thread...

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Frank
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: 1.7

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:36 am

g-whizz wrote:Source of the post It's also had new links & 'bones, though I must confess, I didn't do 'em :shock: this was down to my jack playing up

Ah, the old 'My jack was playing up' excuse, eh?

This stuff is not 'all or nothing', no one feels 'guilty' if they don't fix their own PC, they just do what they can or turn the job over right from the start. Same with cars.

Most people are also more capable than they think they are and the proof lies in just the sheer number on non-professionally trained cooks who never actually starve to death and somehow manage to feed themselves.

As I wrote, it doesn't have to be 'all or nothing' and I'm glad that threads like this exist in a car forum. My advice is to research well and then have a go. A lot of this stuff is really not that hard, but just be aware that some is. Learn to know the difference and you're good to go. :-)

Plus, with the coming of the Internet, this stuff is easier these days. Here is what most Main Dealer Parts Departments in London and South East England were like prior to the Internet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPXQ9fotZM

(seriously, some of those places were truly bizarre and I've seen parts guys dragged over the counters and whacked, when they did it to the wrong guy, and all sorts, back in the day. It was like something out of a Wild West saloon!)
1 x

g-whizz
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby g-whizz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:51 pm

I confess to a tiny shred of guilt but mainly to a big slice of smile at getting the links & 'bones done (& my front wheels balanced) for £25 :grin: I was quite happy to have a crack at it but with the MOT pressing & my jack not following suit I figured this was one of those "discretion is the..." moments.

...(Not so) Funnily enough, I am also about to tackle my PC as Win10 has crashed after trying to reactivate Kaspersky, won't even accept a standard reboot with the media creation tool so my only hope now is a custom reboot with a partition otherwise it's a factory reset of the laptop and total loss of documents, images and all data bar the original OS (Win7) :evil: ...Not everything it seems is better since t'internet :-)
Last edited by g-whizz on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My goals are world peace, and a piece of the world... if my plans for a benevolent dictatorship ever come together.

At the moment though am too busy with this: viewtopic.php?t=29348

Frank
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:52 pm

g-whizz wrote:Source of the post ...(Not so) Funnily enough, I am also about to tackle my PC as Win10 has crashed

Sorry, I should have made that part clearer, I was comparing the hardware side, not software :-) i.e. why do people not feel bad about not fixing one type of machine, but often do about a different type of machine.

g-whizz wrote:Source of the post otherwise it's a factory reset of the laptop and total loss of documents, images and all data bar the original OS (Win7) :evil:

You can avoid that possibility of data loss if you put a small Linux distro (operating system) on a flashdrive, boot into that and grab all the personal stuff off the Windows OS partition and save it to flashdrive or external hdd/ssd. In other words, the Linux Operating System will give you access to the information stored on the Windows OS (the only exception is if Windows was hibernated, not shutdown before it blew up) This is a good automated tool for that - https://unetbootin.github.io/ and pick a simple Linux distro, like Puppy. Once you've done the flashdrive, you got it forever and never have to worry about data loss on Windows ever again. Hope that helps.

Linux stuff is pretty good and is my main OS these days (on this PC, I 'quad boot' - choice of 3 different Linux OSs and 1 Windows OS on boot) I only know M$ up to Win7 though.
1 x

Return to “ProjectPuma”