Cooling fan Problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antisober552

Hi there,

I've recently done a conversion on my mk5 feista with an puma lump, but have not had the cooling fan kick in from day one so we put the cooling fan on to a switch on the dash board which works fine but there's times were I forget about turning the cooling fan on.

I get a temp reading on the dashboard. And don't have air con

So I want to put it back on to a relay and have the fan come on when the engine is hot and was wondering if anyone can Point me in the right direction on how I can do this ?

Kind regards
John

Is there a wire diagram I can follow to check if the loom is damaged ? And does anyone know what pin from the ecu that triggers the relay ?

I'm sure someone has all the pin outs. The best way would be to make your ECU control the fan IMO

antisober552 said:
[post]350698[/post] Is there a wire diagram I can follow to check if the loom is damaged ? And does anyone know what pin from the ecu that triggers the relay ?
I seem to recall that Kenlowes are self contained units made for pre-ECU vehicles.

However, if you want to go down the original ECU triggers fan route then get yourself a Fiesta manual and wade through the wiring diagrams. Many of the on-line versions are not that great.

Hi John

I've recently done this conversion but luckily didn't hit any problems. Everything worked right off the bat!

You say you've not got A/C.. but are you referring to the car or the engine loom?

What loom have you got? A/C or non A/C?
Which radiator/fan have you used? Original Fiesta or Puma? If Puma is it a non-A/C fan?

Hopefully I'm not telling you to suck eggs in asking if you've actually connected the fan up correctly... But I've asked because I'm using the original Fiesta fan and its electrical connector is different to a Puma fan so I had to change the electrical plugs over to get it connected.

Under the coil pack there is a small electrical connector which is for the coolant sensor. If you pull that connector off it SHOULD put the fan on full speed.

antisober552 said:
[post]350698[/post] Is there a wire diagram I can follow to check if the loom is damaged ? And does anyone know what pin from the ecu that triggers the relay ?

Something like this, perhaps? I have taken the pinout from the diagram and hence can't guarantee it is 100% accurate so the usual disclaimer: if something goes bang, I am not the responsible one etc, etc...
But, hope it helps.

By PIN no:

By the system it runs (in alphabetic order)

And the diagram itself

CherryVimto said:
Hi John

I've recently done this conversion but luckily didn't hit any problems. Everything worked right off the bat!

You say you've not got A/C.. but are you referring to the car or the engine loom?

What loom have you got? A/C or non A/C?
Which radiator/fan have you used? Original Fiesta or Puma? If Puma is it a non-A/C fan?

Hopefully I'm not telling you to suck eggs in asking if you've actually connected the fan up correctly... But I've asked because I'm using the original Fiesta fan and its electrical connector is different to a Puma fan so I had to change the electrical plugs over to get it connected.

Under the coil pack there is a small electrical connector which is for the coolant sensor. If you pull that connector off it SHOULD put the fan on full speed.

I'd like to thank everyone for there help. Much appreciated

Cherry Vimeo,

So the original engine for this feista had air con and was removed now the puma engine I have has no air con and the engine loom is also the non air con loom however I have kept the original feista fan.

When I unplug the coolant sensor the fan does not kick in at all.

I hope the details I've given you will help me to try and figure the problem out.

Thank you

So, I assume you have the actual radiator fan connected/plugged in?
If so, did you have to cut the electrical connector from the Puma loom and replace it with the connector from the Fiesta loom?

If so, I would next look at the rad fan relay... maybe swap it for another, if possible for a known good one.

Back