FRP 458

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRPCurn

Hi all,

This is my 1st Ford. I've been an avid Jap fan to date owning Supra's, 200sx, MR2s, Integra's, FTO's to list a view. Most recently I've just sold my GT86 which if I'm honest I never really took to. I've been a fan of the FRP's for quiet a few years now and after recently paying for our wedding I thought now seemed the perfect time to invest in one before moving.

After a couple of months of searching I have bought No 458.

88K miles and good service history.

The only Modifications are:

Miltek Manifold
Piper Centre pipe with cat
Piper backbox
K&N Filter (I have the original airbox to replace this with)
Spoiler (I'm not sure what this is or if I'm keeping it. It has Ford stamped underneath, Did they do this as an option?)

Bodywork is generally ok but does have some rust but pictures speak volumes:

As she stands now:

Ready for delivery:

Interior:

Engine:

Alcons:

Main areas of rust:

External door trim:

As you can see she needs a bit of tidying but quiet solid for a 15 year old car.

It drives and idles nice. There is a vibration over 50 MPH, I'm guessing its to do with the brakes or maybe a buckled Wheel.

The brakes are extremely poor. I expected some serious stopping power but to be honest they aren't even average. They look tidy from the outside so I'm guessing they just need a refurb.

First list of jobs to do:

Recon brakes (Front, backs and handbrake cable)
Full service inc changing HCV & Thermostat housing
Clutch change
Replace all coolant pipes and rad
Seal the underside of the car.

I'm firstly trying to get the car mechancically reliable. Is there anything else I should add to the above? Cambelt was done 22k ago.

Does anyone know if I can get a new door trim (As shown in the picture?) If not I'm guessing a standard Puma one from a breaker will be just fine?

Next job towards the end of the year will be a full body restoration.

Thanks for reading and Ill keep you all informed of progress

Nice purchase. I was watching that on eBay just to be nosey about what it went for. The higher the better as it means they're going up!

The door scraper seals are still available from Ford:

The prices above are about 12 months out of date so be prepared for £10 or so more. As the stocks run low the prices go up!

XAF thats brillant thanks very much.

If anyone else is interested or needs them they are available here:

http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/

FRPCurn said:
[post]351661[/post] XAF thats brillant thanks very much.

If anyone else is interested or needs them they are available here:

http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/

I'd give fordpartsuk a go too, offer some decent discounts and unlike the above, they're solely Ford and by a lot of obselete stock and if that fails try's to source for you

Car has been dropped off with Chris Allison. It is booked in for the Stage 2 engine service. While there it will have the clutch changed & the calipers refurbished as well.

One thing Chris did comment on is the amount of underseal a previous owner has sprayed everywhere under the car and rear arches. Normally this isn't a bad thing but nothing has been masked off and it is everywhere. I'm a bit worried about what I'll find when I start stripping this back!

I'll update with photos as and when they come through.

Chris has been working hard.

From these:

To these:

I know they are suppose to be blue but I really fancied red.

Engine updates to follow :D

I thought I'd send over the caliper picture before sending the next ones lol :lol: ..

I've had to cut out the front arms and chop off the tie rod end..been a frigging nightmare. .

Engine out tomorrow and back on track.. :cool: :cool:

Chris

Ps.. managed to re-tap that bleed screw entry (several times ).. witout needing to helicoil it.. :grin: .. drlling the end bolts out can wait for another day :?

Thanks for all the nice comments

Brian' said:
[post]354193[/post] That looks awesome. Hopefully you can keep it as clean as that :lol:

No chance, she is being built to be driven :twisted:

Well, first test drive finally done...

I'm so pleased with myself on this one... there was soooo much vibration on this car and problems with the brakes, clutch etc

It really drives pukka now and not a hint of vibration through the wheel....the amount of balancing weights I removed off all 4 wheels was just unbelievable... :lol: :lol:

Beer time

:cool: :cool:

Chris

Cant wait to drive an FRP how it should be. A few more pictures:

Front brakes:

Engine:

Latest posts

Back