supercharged 1.7 project question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben11

Hi i am in the middle of my Fiesta 1.7 supercharged project and have been looking into removing the VCT as i will be running a standalone management and would prefer not to have it.
I know that i will need to remove the VCT controller and plug the oil feed holes and also use a modified exhaust pully on the inlet cam but i was hoping to find someone that has done this and even better if there's any pictures.

I would keep it, even the budget aftermarket managements can usually run VCT. Will give you more power too.

If you can keep it and run it properly with a cam profile that suitable (I'd have thought standard cams or FRP cams would be ideal) then it's best to keep it. But a lot of the basic ECU's will only run on or off switches, you need a constantly varying output with a PID feedback control loop.

Or alternatively you can keep the stock ECU in place and have it just run the VCT like I did. Worked a charm and very simple to set up.

But if you truly wish to remove it, I'm not sure how you can achieve that because the VCT solenoid provides lubrication to te first cam journal, if you plug the hole you'd get no oil and it would seize. Also the oil seal seals against the VCT pulley, so if you removed it, your oil would leak onto the cambelt. Perhaps look at a way of getting the VCT pulley dowelled so it can't advance?

Latest posts

Back