My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!
Model: 1.7

Postby PumaJay » Thu May 11, 2017 7:42 pm

So thats another track day done and it was an awesome one. Cadwell is always pretty special but combined with amazing weather it was a fantastic day.

The car was great throughout and only required a small oil top up all day. Few small issues have arisen, there is a strong smell of fuel in the car, I dont think its a leak I think it might be running very rich for some reason. Also the heater control valve broke on the way and was stuck on full hot all day... not ideal!!

Its given me the desire to really get on with the turbo build, the car deserves more power now but even so with my humble 132bhp I was still able to have some great battles on track. I also timed my laps for the first time using an app. Fastest time of the day was recorded as a 1.51.887.

Once ive sorted through the gopro footage I've get some videos up.

lots of pictures!!

ImageXSP_9355 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageXSP_9284 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageXSP_9257 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageXSP_9061 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageXSP_8932 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageXSP_8931 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageXSP_8552 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageXSP_8532 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageXSP_8170 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr
2 x

Noobrider
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby Noobrider » Thu May 11, 2017 7:46 pm

really really miffed as I was supposed to be at that track day but things conspired against me and I didn't make it on time so 3 hours driving for nothing - suffice to say the car I ws going to drive was the little green Pumesta that crashed into the barrier at the Gooseneck and was written off - so I may not have got a drive anyway but would have loved to have met everyone if I had known - as it was I got so pissed off I just turned round and headed home as I had already missed the drivers briefing and the sighting laps while I was still on the motorway
0 x
Puma ST170 and Puma millennium owner

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Fri May 12, 2017 8:01 am

That Fiesta took quite a hit when it went into the barriers, made a right mess of it.

Shame you didn't make it down, would've been good to meet and have a chat.
0 x

Noobrider
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby Noobrider » Fri May 12, 2017 11:02 pm

yeah will get to another at some point - I'm helping him reshell the Fiesta

I got a bit pissed off after missing my turn off and with no satnav I was driving blind for a bit and no where sells bloody road atlas's anymore = at 8.30 I was still on the M180 so had at least 40 mins more driving and thought there is no way I can make drivers briefing or sighting laps so no point in turning up as I wont get a drive - but then I never knew how many people I know were actually going and it would have been worth it just to meet everyone and get a few passenger rides
0 x
Puma ST170 and Puma millennium owner

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Sat May 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Ah right, not a good start to the day.

Need to get the next day planned now. I've got a couple of track session at fast car festival at Donington coming up but I need another full day again soon.
0 x

SLEEMAN
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby SLEEMAN » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 am

Jay now that the heater has packed up you could just remove the lot and get a roof scoop fitted??
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Sun May 14, 2017 8:06 pm

It has crossed my mind but on the odd occasion I do use the car on the road a heater is a nice luxury I'm not really prepared to go without. I am looking at some motorsport style light weight heaters though.

Deffo think I need a roof scoop or some side vents though as a way of getting cool air into the car when on track.
0 x

grayfox
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby grayfox » Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Slightly in love with that wing, nice photos and updates, as far as getting air into the cabin I find my climair window air deflectors work great, lower both drivers and passenger window about inch and a half and you don't get any distracting air or noise but enough circulating to avoid much sweat.
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Mon May 15, 2017 7:14 am

Cheers, the wing is very much a love hate thing and it does dominate the appearance of the car, I love it, and it really does make a difference when on track in the high speed corners.

Thanks for the tip. I would use wind deflectors but I'm just not a big fan of how they look.
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: Turbo

Postby moondustka » Mon May 15, 2017 8:03 am

PumaJay wrote:It has crossed my mind but on the odd occasion I do use the car on the road a heater is a nice luxury I'm not really prepared to go without. I am looking at some motorsport style light weight heaters though.

Deffo think I need a roof scoop or some side vents though as a way of getting cool air into the car when on track.

Could go for an electric heater? They are usually safer have on track as there's no water going into the cabin then. Just an idea.

Nice photos too, looks great. Slightly envious of all your track time :lol:
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Mon May 15, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm thinking of going with one of the T7 designs ducted electric heaters. It should be plenty man enough to do the job in the car plus its probably a lot lighter and more reliable than the standard heater system. It'll be a job for when I move into the new house and I can get the car in the garage and have the dash out again.

In the mean time I've now got polycarb rear quaters coming and a naca duct so I can get some fresh air into the car when on track. Just being able to circulate the air will be a massive improvement, a black car on a sunny day on track is awful even when the heater isnt stuck on full hot!
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:17 am

You know when you bid on something on ebay and you think I'l never win that... well I did and accidentally on purpose I bought some new wheels.

snapped 5 pro race 1.2's in 17" x 7 for £150 which to be fair is a bit of a bargain, full refurbish in black, some sticky tyres and these will be perfect for my future plans of turbo charging and bigger arches!

1 x

Bentleya
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: FRP

Postby Bentleya » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Bargain of the year Jay!

What's your plans with the old wheels? What's the wheel width and offset of them?
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Will be seeing the year out on the current wheels I think.

They're 15 x 7 Oz supper Leggera's... think the offset is ET35
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Postby Wild E. Coyote » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:24 am

Hardly. OZ super leggerra with PCD of 108 mm are offered in either ET25 or ET45... The lower ET value is meant for Peugot, the 45 is for Ford....
Since puma uses 34 (at 6x15), the 25 being 7x15 are better suited for it
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:23 am

It might be that then... Either way they fit the puma perfectly.
1 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:23 am

Went to the fast car festival at Donington Park yesterday and took part in a few track sessions, was my first time driving the car since Cadwell Park back in May and it was great to be back behind the wheel again.

The sessions I was out in I was up against some seriously quick (and expensive) machinery... at one point I was sharing the track with an Aston Martin Vulcan!! £2,000,000 car with my little Puma for company! The guy was clearing very nervous about being on track in a public session.

Any way, the day was great, the sun was shining and the car was going pretty well holding its own against everything else on track. In one session we spent 3 laps being held up by this....

It was the Vulcan owners "toy"

I dont have any other pics of the car from the day as of yet and only one short video. My Gopro decided to stop working after about 4 minutes of recording and froze up.

Link -
Last edited by Dal on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube link
1 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Puma looks a bit like a little Vulcan! Haha
0 x
Project Smurf Blueish - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22261"

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

How are you finding that rear wing Jay? Does it help? Is it placebo? Extra downforce in the corners would help I would imagine..
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 am

I did wonder if it would make any difference at all but I genuinely feel it has helped the car massively through faster corners. Example 1:
Turn 1 at Rockingham... flat in the car without the wing but the car moved about a bit mid corner and never felt 100% stable, now though with the wing its easy flat and the car feels much more planted and easy to control. Just keep it pinned and make one movement on the steering wheel.

Example 2... and this is the one that convinced me it is working, flat through Craner Curves at Donington. I've driven the corner plenty of times without the wing and never really had the confidence to go flat out at the left hander, did a couple of sessions a few weeks ago and built myself up to being able to take it flat out, the wing really is helping keep the rear of the car settled in the higher speed corners. It felt nice and planted turning in and I was able to push hard through the craners and fly through the old hairpin.

Its just a shame I dont have any lap time comparisons to check if its making the times faster but, from behind the wheel it feels better.

It just need to sort the new engine out now!
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Sounds good.. I imagine then that the S1600/S1700 rear wing should do a similar job then as I thought that had been designed for stability in corners.
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:18 am

Yeah I imagine it would be the cost and rarity of them just made it pretty much unobtainable for me... Plus I dont really like the look of them.

Next track day booked... Thinking I might take the wing off for some back to back comparisons at Blyton Park
1 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:02 pm

The S1600/S1700 is available off the shelf or within 2 weeks usually. But I agree the cost of it makes it unobtainable for most people.

Is yours easy enough to bolt on and off in the pits?
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Yeah I'll just take the spoiler blade out and leave the supports in place. Its just a couple of nuts and bolts to undo.
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Prepping for the next track day on bank holiday Monday at Blyton Park has begun.

I think I've cured the long running over fueling issue, fitted the adjustable pressure reg last week and the car seems all the better for it. The old standard reg also looked a bit beyond its best.

I still have lots of other "little" jobs that I need to take car of, will hopefully get chance to work on it this weekend or next.

Very little or no progress elsewhere as we moved house mid June and we're still unpacking boxes and sorting the house out. All being well the garage will be cleared soon and I can get the car in and press on with the turbo build.
0 x

Return to “ProjectPuma”