My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaJay

yeh just a little bump, happened back in november and ive been working away on it uprating most things and changing alot of others,

its not far off being finnished now, mainly bodywork left to do now and it needs 4 wheel alignment doing on it, but hopefully in the next 3 - 4 weeks it'll be back on the road and running fine!!

anyway heres pics from start to where it is now

this was the car the morning after the crash

(you'll notice that i have a liking for limegreen)

21112008775.jpg

21112008776.jpg

21112008777.jpg

21112008778.jpg

Once id got it in the garage i started work on replacing everything that was nakered on it, spent a small fortune but its all gonna be worth it

New rear beam fitted
18122008794.jpg

Rear poweflex bushes (old ones are a pain in the a**e to get out)
18122008798.jpg

Braided hoses front and rear
20122008807.jpg

20122008808.jpg

Lower strut brace fitted
20122008806.jpg

Bumper head lights removed
20122008805.jpg

Thats pretty much as far as we got with it really, its now all pretty much bodywork thats left to do, ive still got a few and pieces left to bolt on to it.... i looked under my bed and found this lot so im sure i can come up with something for it all

09122008791-1.jpg

Got my new alloys from autosport international show last weekend which were a proper bargain, £260 for 4 new wheels 17" delivered to the door, well happy with it.

Also gonna be fitting 300mm front brakes which should help me stop before the bush next time, and im getting a much chunkier rear strut brace welded in so i can wrap so nice 3" 4 point luke harnesses round them.

this is how the car stands now, just waiting for the new front bumper, wing and wing mirror to be repainted and then its off to the toyota garage for its alignment...

New wheels fitted
16012009970.jpg

16012009971.jpg

16012009972.jpg

16012009973.jpg

Never realised just how tight 17's actually are on the puma... no wonder the scrub

16012009976.jpg

16012009977.jpg

Other things that have been done are powerflex anti roll bar bushes, new lower arms, engine service, having the cooant changed next weekend and its getting some new handbrake cables aswell.

I'll keep it updated when i get more done, hopefully in the next week or so!

I know its a long post but ive been trying to keep it secret as i dont like admitting to crashing cars especially when all i got another forum was "oh well i bet you were driving to fast"

but you all seem a friendly bunch on here so i thought id share with you all!!

Looking good! Love the 17s :eek:k:

Do you have any trouble with the fuzz and your small number plates? My dad used to get pulled over all the time on his bike for a small plate.

its only a velco show plate, i just bunged it on there cuz it kept falling out the glove box lol

i have proper ones for use on the road, the car already gets enough attention so dont need to any more trouble from the police!!

Great work Jay, crashing cars is never fun! I had a couple of mishaps in 2006.

Looks like you are doing well putting it back together!

Have you got the rear quarter fixed up yet or is that last on the list?

The 17's do look quite close :cool:

It will be good to see it finished back in one piece!

PumaJay said:

Glad the rebuild is going well.

The reason the wheels look tight is because your suspension is wound right down to get it low, you must have even less suspension travel that what I've got left lol.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you grind back the metal flange in the inner arch, it's the bit in the photo that sits directly above the tyre, roughly in line with the coilover. This part is ground back on the FRP to allow extra clearance for the 17s. Without this, the tyre can be sliced up on the seam when the wheel reaches maximum deflection, this is obviously a VERY dangerous situation which is why Tickford carried out the work on instruction from Ford Racing.
Should be an easy enough job for the bodyshop to do whilst it's in.

I've seen some lowered Pumas on 17s with their tyre treads sliced up because of this, at best you'll need new front tyres, at worst you'll get a blowout...

cheers for that bok, the suspension at the minute is wound quite high up at the minute so it will be even lower than that once ive got it down again,

but thats deffo good advice, and i think i'l get that done, might have a look see if i can do it myself first but not i'l get the body shop to do it!!

Nice one!!

That is looking fantastic :)

I wasn't sure on the wheels on your initial post - but they've completley won me over :D

Looking good

Hopefuly you will have it looking sweet as you intend it to be soon

Weve all had a crash if not more than one, glad your geting it sorted then it will be a distant memory :eek:k:

yep, weve all been there.....thats how i got rid of my first fiesta, many moons ago now.

you think your wheels are close.....im running 18s that are doing a good job of slowly eating my washer bottle and airbox! got spares im going to cut offending areas out of then cover with carbon fibre to give more room.

agree to bok about grinding down the seams; gives loads more room & a lot safer. the frp ones are bent over....gis a shout if you want a nosey....

yeh i probs will do, might just see if theres anyway of bending them rouns before i get grinding them, but i might have to send you a txt jacko!! haha

cheers for the comments guys, its been a long process this car but im soo close to having it sorted!!

Neil...i know what you mean, i didnt like them when i first put them on, but the more i look at them the more and more i start to love them wheels!!

PumaJay said:
I know its a long post but ive been trying to keep it secret as i dont like admitting to crashing cars especially when all i got another forum was "oh well i bet you were driving to fast"

but you all seem a friendly bunch on here so i thought id share with you all!!

Yeah...slow down you hooligan...lol

I'm joking by the way...who cares how it happened, shit happens!!!. As long as your ok and your car is still going strong....which it does look like plus some. Keep us posted, I like to pinch people's ideas on mods just to keep me thinking...lol

well ive got a few more mods coming soon....a few of which im keep secret, but i will reveal that one involves carbon fibre and being a little bit inventive!!

need to relocate the battery into the boot somewhere next i think!!

nah not turbo or super charger, im not a fan of that sort of thing. i prefer throttle bodies!!

which is something i am thinking about doing over the next year or so,

but the battery in the boot is to just free up abit of space in there really

if your doing the battery in the boot thing i highhly recommend getting a gel battery; iv got an odyssey extreme. not cheap but they can be mounted at any angle, upside down etc & wont leak, maintenance free & bloody good power wise.....there expensive but u save about 10kg and dont need a fifty quid battery box

mine was under the passenger seat in the fezza, will be going there on the frp sooner or later. was held in with angled ali, didnt need bolting down as the seat was on top of it

so far iv had it long enough to outlive 3 batteries.......got it from europa spares in tutbury

nope didnt need to take the washer bottle off, bit og jiggling around and it was off,

hopefully getting my bumper back this week and fitted this weekend

It's not a design flaw when it doesn't effect the standard car in any way. It's only an issue when you lower the suspension to that degree and put wider wheels on.

:roll:

Latest posts

Back