Ford Puma ST Turbo *diy ambition*

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PH03NIX

So ... Here i am .. :D
Finally starting thread!!
:type:

After buying first Puma in 2009 for £1k since falling in love after seeing a FRP in Walthamstow, London in 2001 and after years of countless sleepless zombie nights of reading and re reading and reading again on several ford cars.. Grandfather was a ford mechanic.. and after having my Puma "stolen" (first crashed by the wife :'( )... and now after aquiring a high milage (mostly motorway) yet Ok condition, W reg (2 digit plate), 1.7, panther black...

for a whooping *£140* .... (had won ebay bid at £700 but the fella's M.O.T guy (coincidently his mechanic also) told him the car was shot and should be scrapped unless serious money spent) :shock:

"I have now decided to go ahead and put together my own ST edition complete turbo conversion!"

:drive:

So ... "The List" was compiled...
And first on there was seats.... i find original Puma seats to be quite uncomfortable with no support and for some reason felt like gremlins had been readjusting the seat everytime before i get back in.

By pure chance i came across a member here, 'TheArchBishop' who had a set of Millenium Recaro seats for sale.
:eek:k:
(thank you)

Thought ill strip back most of inside to look at condition plus carpet was "FULL" of dog hair everywhere. The seats would of had to come out for a proper clean up anyway. 2 birds with 1 stone and all of that

IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG

Carpet given a good clean .. Henry Hoover on full power .. washed .. and then as i wanted a black carpet intead of the bluey shade i mixed and thinned some left over gloss black paint with white spirit .. borrowed a dish sponge from the Mrs and began 'Dabbin' away ..

IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1428.JPG

If anyone is actually interested in changing the colour of their carpet (or even roof lining) a DIY approach can be taken using only 1) white spirit 2) the colour you require 3) a sponge or roller (paint will need thinning more if using roller)

I studied Art & Design some yrs back in college and dealt with fabrics and paint (obviously) and i can say this is easily and succesfully done and can be using any 'oil based paint' whether it be for household use or otherwise as long as it is oil based.

When doing this method you need the paint just thin enough to soak into the carpet fibres. Too thick and heavy and it will only sit on top and cause the paint to crack.
Too thin and it will soak right through causing the white spirit to discolour the carpet.
*roughly i used less than 500ml of gloss black mixed with around 200ml of white spirit & 1 sponge

You should try it
:D

I feel the black looks so much better!!

(I was supposed to stick a new piece of rubber patch down.. but new interior carpets will cover it later anyway)

Carpet and seat back in
IMG_1434.JPG

It was while installing seat i discovered i needed 'top hat mounts'
The recaro seats require a smaller mounting hat when bolting the rear of the frame to chasis.
I had these laying about already but the Mrs (again :( ) assumed them to be rubbish and so a search, a pm or two and eventually an ebay purchase for £25 the pair and they were eventually in properly.

I did leave the seats 'floating' until delivery came!!
Oringinal pretensioners fitted well!
Still to wire in height adjustment but find the seat already at the height i like so havnt tinkered yet...

And this is called:.. "A Tempory Fix!!" :eek:k:
Consisting of: Poking and sanding the most loose rust, liberaly coating everywhere with 'kurust', slap sticking filler all over, more sanding (or axle grinding in my case...), a little wet sand, priming with pound shop primer... and leaving the rest to professionals!!

IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG

At this point i had left the back seat out... "getting rid of weight and all of that"
I enjoyed the drive to and from work for several weeks untill she (not the Mrs this time) developed an odd hesitation and occasional stalling problem, misfires included.
So all the usual suspects looked at plus a full service done as well.. *NGK plugs 'not' used*.. cam sensor plugged on properly.
She drove good again for 2 days then starting hesitating the same.

Next step... £15 of Shell V-Power and 'unplug lambda sensor' and take her for a boot up the M11... let car cool, plug lambda back in and boot her back...

For me, problem solved, for around 2-3 months of back and forth to work.
But then hesitations all again..
Started to remind me of when my mums had a mk5 zetec s

Hmmm.. a quick look at peddles...
And found this little fella dangling..
IMG_1697.JPG
*Clutch switch

Back in place.. (just besides/on the clutch peddle arm)...
IMG_1701.JPG

and now shes drives the dream (ignoring the over bouncy rear end)

As stated the aim is to achieve my own ST spec. I dont want to go over the top in terms of looks or bhp. (Secretly i have my own Ford Puma RS ambition for this using supercharged 2ltr duratec with 4wd mtx75 gearbox, transmission and rear end from a jag x-type and somehow wider arches) :whistle:
For this project however I plan to rebuild engine and bay up to decent spec. The exterior of car will remain mostly standard but will fit a front splitter and maybe side-skirts.
Interior wise the mission is full red leather recaros with black leather interior including dash and silver carbon fibre to replace the silver parts along with as many of the mondern 'practical' wizardry i can implement.. such as boot switch, drl's, touch screen and the like.
I quite like the Pumas 15" propeller wheels.. Ole Wendy (her name is *not the Mrs) came with the spoke design. I opted 16" wheels but wanted ford like so decided on the sportka/streetka wheels, which i eventually aquired for £290 including the rest of a blue '03 StreetKa with 89k and clutch going and exhaust flexy blowing! (Ebay clutch and flexy for £50 total ... "and 15" rims" kept the Mrs sweet!)

IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG

i have indeed compiled a somewhat detailed but not complete list of parts.
I remember first writing this list out back in 2007.. it totaled somewhere near 20k in parts! Luckily real life hit me in the face and i learnt not all the shiney branded new bits are needed, some completly unecessary to cars.
Since then the list has drastically come down in cost. Do not get me wrong... this will still cost, but it will cost sensible money. :hide:
Some of the figures are the total paid while others are complete (near) estimates or quotes using trade discount with one or two suppliers, some are from a quick search on e-addictive-Bay.

Interior
recaro leather seats - £60 fitted
Red leather dye - £15
Seat base top hat mounts - £25 fitted
6.2 universal touch screen -£100
6” front speakers - £15 not fitted yet
3 way coaxial rear speaker - £20 not fitted yet
2x 8” subwoofers - £40 not fitted yet
800w amp - £35 not fitted yet
1500w amp. - £45
X-type/Mondeo3 auto dim rear view mirror - £10-
Universal Passive Keyless Entry & Start (+ autoclose windows) - £50
One touch indicator module
Boot switch - £5-
ST etched gearknob. - £20
Second boot lamp - £5-
Glove box lamp - £5-

Two bonus features I would like to try my hand at installing would be
1) Focus2 heater controls ((ac + fan switch converted to window heaters
2) Ford ikon instrument cluster.. if memory serves correct, these came installed in Fiestas in Portugal or Brazil

Exterior
Rear tint & sunstrip- £60 fitted
Bee sting arial - £10
Monroe dampers - (clarkins £200 even with trade discount and friendly chat :shock:
(ebay £25 front pair £45 rear pair ... :eek:k: fitted
Monroe rubber top mounts + bearing - £30 front £30 rear fitted
Monroe rear bump stops + dust cover - £20 fitted
Apex lowering springs (eurocarparts last uk batch - £86.39 fitted
**just for you know: 35mm lowering kit + dampers (ebay - £250
Wishbones + drop linkz - £50 pair …. fitted (*cheapy o/s front bush gone after 5-6months.. lesson..do not buy cheap
Rear beam bushes *problem solving bushes - £25 not fitted yet
Fiesta st150 brake caliper + carrier - £45 not fitted yet
Fiesta st150 grooved brake disc + pads - £80
Mondeo3 brake servo + master cylinder - £15 not fitted yet
stainless steel overbraid brake hose (Demon Tweeks - £47 not fitted yet
Puma Mud flaps - £5 not fitted yet
Track rod - £10 each
Cv joint + gaitor kit - £30 each
Front Nordic wheel bearing x2 - £20 fitted
Kunifer piping (for brake lines) - £10
20mm(Ford StreetKA) rear spacer - £40
Rear disc conversion - £100
Wind deflectors - £40
Puma ST logo etched Alloy door sill plates – £40
ST babdes - £15
Grey ST side decal - £25
StreetKa 16" wheels - £290 (whole car) fitted
Silver nylon rim protector - £50
Spare streetka wheel - £30
Front splitter - £30

Engine
Water pump - £30 fitted
Janspeed exhaust back box £FREE not fitted yet
Saab gt1752 & gt2052 turbo - £40+£50 not modifed & fitted yet
4-1 Exhaust manifold - £50 not modified & fitted yet
Fiesta rs turbo 3” exhaust - £30 not modified & fitted yet
Frontera 2.8 turbo diesel Front mount intercooler- £40
2” aluminium piping - £60
Silicone piping - £60
Mk1/2 Mondeo Auto Radiator (2x oil cooler built in) part no 93bb 8005 hc/he - £50 not fitted yet
FRP Air box mod - £FREE not fitted yet
2.0 Mondeo Si throttle body - £30+
Oil cooler sandwich plate - £15
mini oil filter - £10
Timing belt kit - £60
Thermostat housing - £15
Themostat - £10
Heater control valve - £15
Kemso 340lph fuel pump - £30 not fitted yet
head + block skimmed - £100
Suzuki Big end bearings - £60
ARP con rod bolts - £25
Ford 1.6 zetec se Main bearings - £70
New crank main bolts - £15
Piston rings - £70
Decompression plate - £50
Head gasket x2 - £65
ARP 1.6cvh turbo head bolts or 1.6 zetec se head bolts - £25
Valve stem seals - £30
Uprated valves + springs - £80
Denso ITV 20 spark plugs - £20
Diy HT Leads - £15
200 cell sports cat - £150
New oil pump - £95
New higher amp alternator - £50
All engine gaskets and seal - £100
1.7 gearbox rebuild - £1000

Parts, Parts, Parts... :grin:
IMG_0572.JPG

*"i did say practical... so nope.. the ironing board is not being installed"

moondustka said:
[post]364121[/post] Good work on the floor carpet :)

You should start on the 'Puma RS' now :wink:

Hey thankz!
Seriously my only restriction to doing it now is: 1) getting a whole running 4WD x-type jag for under £300 (ambitious i know) without going waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy up north England, likley Durham were the biggest jag salvage is. 2) getting a decent made wide arch kit. 3) Parking

This is the 'Ford Ikon' instrument cluster.
IMG_1282.JPG

I think this will suit the puma well... the Ikon is basicaly a sedan version of the mk4/5 fiesta. I would assume electrics and install to be compatable and easy to deal with.

Latest posts

Back