£500 pound mot

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denssity

So had my puma checked over today and I need a new brake line front to back- both front wishbones and both drop links and bushes-both rear inner and outer sills welded and part of the chassis and the vin area welded the guy is also gonna get rid of all the surface rust and underseal it what do you folks reckon?

Depends on the milage of the car. And how long you want it for.

If you want it for 5 years then it'll need welding every year or two in different parts now the floorpan has gone. Wishbones are about £30-£40 a pair and easy to install any DIY'er could do it themselves. Droplinks are also easy if you know how to remove the old ones (grip the middle of them with a pair of mole grips and undo the bolts) Rear bushes are a complete ball ache to do and labour enduring.

Has the cambelt (along with waterpump) been done recently? What's the mileage, is it over 100,000? If the cambelt hasn't been done, there's an extra £200-£400. Then if the mileage is over 100,000 and it's on the original clutch you'd be lucky to get another 30,000 miles out of the clutch before a replacement is needed and that's another £200-£400 job depending where you go.

Work out if it's worth sinking money into.

RoadWarrior said:
Depends on the milage of the car. And how long you want it for.

If you want it for 5 years then it'll need welding every year or two in different parts now the floorpan has gone. Wishbones are about £30-£40 a pair and easy to install any DIY'er could do it themselves. Droplinks are also easy if you know how to remove the old ones (grip the middle of them with a pair of mole grips and undo the bolts) Rear bushes are a complete ball ache to do and labour enduring.

Has the cambelt (along with waterpump) been done recently? What's the mileage, is it over 100,000? If the cambelt hasn't been done, there's an extra £200-£400. Then if the mileage is over 100,000 and it's on the original clutch you'd be lucky to get another 30,000 miles out of the clutch before a replacement is needed and that's another £200-£400 job depending where you go.

Work out if it's worth sinking money into.
Is 500 reasonable for this amount of work?

Ring around the local garages and get quotes. You'd have to know the labour rate and how many hours they're putting into it.

I wouldn't spend £500 on a 17-18 year old car, personally. I'd just buy another £500 banger for another year with a 12 month MOT.

I mean personally the price doesn't sound too bad depending on the amount of welding, the finish post welding etc just depends like RW said, what's the condition otherwise like and are you intending to keep it?

RoadWarrior said:
[post]367745[/post] Ring around the local garages and get quotes. You'd have to know the labour rate and how many hours they're putting into it.

I wouldn't spend £500 on a 17-18 year old car, personally. I'd just buy another £500 banger for another year with a 12 month MOT.
Aye I'll get myself a clio or corsa or peugout. ....id rather spend it on a future classic

Sounds like you're going to pump money into a rotten shell. It's on nearly 100k according to your post history. It's worth £350-£400 with a 12 month mot. No one will buy a "future classic" that's had or needs welding work, well you won't get top dollar. :roll:

You'll need to dry store it for about another 40 years to see a decent return on a "future classic" also. FRP is going to go up in value.

denssity said:
[post]367737[/post] So had my puma checked over today and I need a new brake line front to back- both front wishbones and both drop links and bushes-both rear inner and outer sills welded and part of the chassis and the vin area welded the guy is also gonna get rid of all the surface rust and underseal it what do you folks reckon?
Include parts?

It sounds like a fair price for that amount work to me, whether it's worth spending it on your particular car only you can decide.
(I've spent more than the monetary value of a car keeping one on the road a few times :grin: :grin: :grin: )

Van_Dammesque said:
denssity said:
[post]367737[/post] So had my puma checked over today and I need a new brake line front to back- both front wishbones and both drop links and bushes-both rear inner and outer sills welded and part of the chassis and the vin area welded the guy is also gonna get rid of all the surface rust and underseal it what do you folks reckon?
Include parts?
aye :)

RoadWarrior said:
[post]367756[/post] Sounds like you're going to pump money into a rotten shell. It's on nearly 100k according to your post history. It's worth £350-£400 with a 12 month mot. No one will buy a "future classic" that's had or needs welding work, well you won't get top dollar. :roll:

You'll need to dry store it for about another 40 years to see a decent return on a "future classic" also. FRP is going to go up in value.

it's not a rotting shell lol it's an 18 year old ford and there's not many left on the road .........you sound like you have a chip on you're shoulder If you bother to read my post again I only wanted advice on the cost of all the work im having done I didn't ask for a lecture pal

What I have paid in the past and estimating:-
- Brake lines - £50 inc lab + parts.
- Wishbones and drop links, £40 + £10 parts, plus £25 per side fitting.
- bushes - rear £30 parts and £60 fitting.
- welding: £150 for inner and outer sill, + £50 for the other areas?
- underseal with some rust removal £??

Sounds OK to me for £500.

EDIT: whereabouts did you get that quote?

Van_Dammesque said:
What I have paid in the past and estimating:-
- Brake lines - £50 inc lab + parts.
- Wishbones and drop links, £40 + £10 parts, plus £25 per side fitting.
- bushes - rear £30 parts and £60 fitting.
- welding: £150 for inner and outer sill, + £50 for the other areas?
- underseal with some rust removal £??

Sounds OK to me for £500.

EDIT: whereabouts did you get that quote?

R T classic restorations in sunderland the last one he restored was a triumph stag

Sounds about right. We've had an MOT that was similar a couple of years ago and then 2 since where nothing has needed doing.....

Depends how much you want to drive a Puma.

Muzboy said:
Sounds about right. We've had an MOT that was similar a couple of years ago and then 2 since where nothing has needed doing.....

Depends how much you want to drive a Puma.

Everyday if I could I own a 10 Plate fiesta zetec s but it's diesel and quite boring to drive I love my puma it's a thrill to drive :)

Latest posts

Back