Lewis's Banana Boat

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: 1.7

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:22 pm

Got that cleaned up :roll:

Really close now. Just a few more bits to fit and buy. Here's how she's looking with the benetton colour scheme 😂
3 x

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am

Hoses are in. Honestly, what do you guys think of them? They are definitely darker than I was expecting.

Last edited by Lewisrowezer on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

mmc757
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: Other

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by mmc757 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 am

I sort of think the air hose should be a different color than the coolant hoses
0 x
Cougar nut, wanting a Puma to match the Cougars, waiting out the absurd 25 year import limit for the USA
Semper Purrisimo

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:45 pm

mmc757 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 am
I sort of think the air hose should be a different color than the coolant hoses
I completely agree. What colour are we thinking? I'm between Orange, Purple and Pink..
0 x

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by red » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Might as well mix it up and go purple :grin:
0 x
FRP#0201 (2000) 2009-2011
Melina Blue (1999) 2006-2009
Moondust Silver (2000) 2006

mmc757
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by mmc757 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:51 pm

I would say blue to match the rest of the intake, but if that's not an option...Orange
0 x
Cougar nut, wanting a Puma to match the Cougars, waiting out the absurd 25 year import limit for the USA
Semper Purrisimo

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Super Close to being done now. I'll post a pic a bit later on. I tried cranking over the engine yesterday just to see if the starter worked and it doesn't. Makes a loud click and does nothing. I'm almost 100% sure I fitted my faulty starter to the car which came off my other puma so I'm going to have to buy another.

Left To Do:

Buy And Fit Exhaust Manifold - £129
Buy And Fit Starter Motor - £47
Buy And Fit ABS Sensors - £31
Buy And Fit Brake Lines - £33
Buy And Fit Servo Vacuum Pipe - £15
Buy Custom Centre Section - £150
Fluids - £100
Fit Washer Fluid Lines
Fit Rear ABS Wiring
Fit Torque Mount
Wheel Alignment
2 x

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:44 am

Started to put the fluids in, PSF and engine oil are fine and leak free. Unfortunately there is a leak coming from the offside drive shaft oil seal. I think I might have pushed it in too far? (can't get a pic at the moment)
0 x

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:15 pm

Manifold arrived! Lovely quality for £130!

1 x

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Lewisrowezer wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:03 pm
Super Close to being done now. I'll post a pic a bit later on. I tried cranking over the engine yesterday just to see if the starter worked and it doesn't. Makes a loud click and does nothing. I'm almost 100% sure I fitted my faulty starter to the car which came off my other puma so I'm going to have to buy another.

Left To Do:

Buy And Fit Exhaust Manifold - £129 ✔
Buy And Fit Starter Motor - £47 ✔
Buy And Fit ABS Sensors - £31
Buy And Fit Brake Lines - £33 ✔
Buy And Fit Servo Vacuum Pipe - £15 ✔
Buy Custom Centre Section - £150
Fluids - £100 ✔
Fit Washer Fluid Lines
Fit Rear ABS Wiring
Fit Torque Mount
Wheel Alignment
1 x

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:31 am

Update;

Car is running now! Everything is pretty much done bar the ABS sensors but enough to get me back on the road, I have plenty of time to get her ready for the MOT due in August so going to just enjoy driving in the meantime. Car is leak free now too!

I'm going to Powerflow Southampton Thursday morning to catch up with my mate Tom and have the centre section fabbed up, I've been stuck between a resonated vs non resonated system - what do you guys think I should go for? I think the non resonated systems can sound very tinny and ricey however they sound mint when they are screaming up in the revs. I already have the back box and manifold so it is literally just the centre section.

Following the exhaust system I will be going straight to Southampton Wheel Alignment centre for an alignment.

I also had the car machine polished the other day and it's a serious night and day difference, i'll post pictures when I'm home later.
A few things I need to tweak/perfect/fix now that it's on the road;

Brakes (Spongy)
ABS Sensors
New Tyres (Giti Giticompete, had them on my old MK5 - Amazing grip)
Keep eye on coolant
Paint in certain areas

"Phase 2" will follow eventually and this will include a full underbody tidy up. Nothing too serious, but things like brake and fuel lines will be replaced as well as a restoration of the fuel tank, wiring, underseal and restoration of the rear beam and bushes.

"Phase 3" will be the daddy, this will include extensive rust repair of the arches, sills and anything else that needs sorting.

and Phase 4 will more than likely include the wrap to complete the car. I have toyed around with the idea of giving the car a track look with bucket seats, a freshly painted interior and roll cage but this will be something a long way away.
2 x

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 am

Sorry I haven't posted any pics recently, been getting carried away driving the car! I do have a massive issue though, fuel consumption. I'm finding that the car is literally GUZZLING fuel! I fuelled up to the half way mark yesterday and after 16 miles of very careful driving I'm already near on touching the quarter line. This definitely doesn't feel right and I can't think of why it might be. I know that fuelling can be thrown off by decat but surely not this bad?!
0 x

Lewisrowezer
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Lewisrowezer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Car has been running really well. I've decided to swap back to the original black hoses and tone it down in the engine bay as all of the colours just made it look silly. Going to change the rest of the green hoses back soon. I'll eventually get the rocker cover off and give it a re-paint too.

I'm really enjoying the car on the road however at the same time I'm really tempted to take it off the road again, strip off all the unnecessary bits and turn it into a track car. It's so capable and to be honest, I miss working on it.
0 x

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by red » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:49 pm

8-) I thought that your whole mantra was go bright or go home :grin:

If you're enjoying driving it, why would you strip it to make it less enjoyable day to day?
2 x
FRP#0201 (2000) 2009-2011
Melina Blue (1999) 2006-2009
Moondust Silver (2000) 2006

Simonavis
Adolescent
Adolescent

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by Simonavis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 am

Nooooooooo!! Don’t strip it back after all the work you have done, You can still take it round the track on track days etc. Buy another less clean car and turn that into a track weapon instead that way you get at nice drivable road car and can also create a missile for the track :wink: :wink:
0 x
Who knew owning a cat becomes and obsession!!

the_penfool

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by the_penfool » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Plenty of track cars come up for sale, your better off buying one that's already been stripped maybe!
0 x

PaulZ
Project Regular
Project Regular

Lewis's Banana Boat

Post by PaulZ » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:39 pm

You have done a top job restoring the car. The colours aren't really my thing but its a cracking effort none the less.

Id also echo other peoples thoughts and wouldn't jump into stripping it back for track days. A) To have a properly stripped out track car you need to be pretty committed to doing track days, sprints etc otherwise it just doesn't justify owning a car so compromised like that and B) If its your only car then be prepared for a noisy drive. Depending on how far you go stripping it but stuff starts to resonate and echoing around the cabin its just not a comfortable drive anymore.

Id definitely recommend having ago at a track day if you haven't done one already but if you own two cars (a daily and this) then choose to go down the stripping it route you'll probably find yourself not using it very often just because its not as convenient or comfy on roads.

Paul Z
0 x

Return to “ProjectPuma”