Project Puma 'Black'

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!
Model: 1.7

Re: Project Puma 'Black'

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:47 pm

thanos1410 wrote:Hi Coyote,

You are right. They don't have something like that for previous models. Only for Fiesta mk7. So allow me to resume the method you have described very detailed.
I have to buy Focus mk1 spindles hubs and calipers. After I have to machining the hubs from 7,2cm (if this is the real width) to 6,62cm if I use mapco rings or to 6,56 if I keep Pumas' existing tone ring.
Having it done twice, I found that the tone rings are not all the same. My advice: get them first and then bring them to the guy operating the lathe. He will then know how much mashining is in order! I wouldn't go below 6,65 cm for the starts. Also, make your pressing tool or you WILL damage the rings
thanos1410 wrote: Further I have to enlarge the ABS hole in the spindle in order to be able to seat Pumas' ABS sensor, and to create a wider hole for the sensor's bolt. More I have to reduce by 1mm (is it right or is it 2mm) the back of the spindle in the area of the ABS sensor's hole.
The hole for sensor need enlarging, but at the same time you have to do it spot on and eccentrically. Use your existing spindles and bolt them on the back side to get the exact positioning. Half a mm off and the system will work erradically.
If you don't enlarge the tone rings and just put them on top of dust shield you will need taking down about 0,9 mm of material to bring them to the correct gap. Have a look at the second part of my guide. That is easier to be done and you can do it with dremel

At the end, I would strongly recommend to first upgrade your front brakes. No point in doing only rear discs if you are left with the same crappy front brakes
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!
Model: 1.7

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Oh yes, the mounting screws need new holes; not bigger, just repositioned.

And first you have to take out the sensors without destroying them. That is a task in itself...
0 x

thanos1410
Model: 1.4

Post by thanos1410 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Ok Coyote I have your remarks well noted.

I decide to discuss the project and the difficulties with the downtown turnery, in order to completly understand the accuracy of the project regarding the modifications in spindles/hubs and to be safe regarding measurements and have the appropriate tools. As a matter of fact is not something so easy but I believe that is woth it.
Further I have already found localy the Focus mk1 parts from a scrap mk1. The car have Lucas calipers. Now I have to go there with a mechanic to take off all the parts from the damaged Focus (spindles/hubs/calipers/pads/discs/ABS sensors and brake wires). As soon as I have them in my hand I will send them to the turnery for the first stage. We will see ...
As for your note regarding the front brakes I vae to say that I totaly agree since its not logical to have front 239mm discs and rear 253mm!!! So I have already in my hands calipers from Puma 1.700cc with ATE powerdiscs 258mm and I believe it would be more balanced braking set up.

I will keep you update (since I have to delay a bit the project till the payday hehehehehe)

Thanos
0 x

FlashBastd
Guru!
Guru!
Model: Black

Project Puma 'Black'

Post by FlashBastd » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:46 pm

Now sadly being broken!
See For Sale thread
0 x

Roomy