Sexy Black Puma wannabe

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauritis

Hey there!

Been a while now since my Newbie post, that also didnt include pictures, this mainly because of the early dark evenings we are getting now. Wouldnt call it mouth watering project with sexy pics but its something to do :D

Anyway going to post a few now & over the course of doing little bits to it. Wont be going over the top on mods & stuff mainly due to the fact im skint, im saving for a mint Focus RS & the other half will murder me if I blow our holiday money :D

Drive wise since the newbie post it gets better, I actually opened it up and got a little heavy on the gas pedal after the cambelt was done and my god I had a big old smile on my face. So impressed with the handling that I wonder how much fun the FRP's are in comparison... and possibly consider an upgrade rather than RS/ST.

Anyway 1st real work before doing anything else - CAMBELT!

Tiny pet bro in law - perfect for getting under the car I recommend to anyone!

Quite clean

Notice scratch on left side bumper, this is on my list or fixing when come to do the small rust bubble on arch & the rea bumper has some scrapes

Around the same time after CB replaced HT leads & sparks & while up on the jack removed all the foam felt stuff from the arches to give me more time come winterproofing. Its damn noiser without them, will maybe modify them (cut away the bit that sits on the arch lip) and put back on.

EDIT - List of things to do or done

Cam Belt - Done
Oil Change - Done
Ignition - Sparks, HT - Done
Broken Indicator - Done
Interior tidy up
General body work tidyup - In progress
Rust - Archs & door seal
Winterproof
Brakes
Coolant
Uprated Speakers - Ordered
Front Windscreen - Replace or repair
Exhaust - Done
HCV - Burrrrrh - Ordered
New plates - Cant stand plates with garage numbers on!
Mondeo 16's - Ebay bidding fingers crossed :p
Lowering - Depends on looks after 16's

Anyway its not much to look at, i got some more to go on but im going home!! :D

Timbo!

Quick update from previous post before start joys of work.

Exhaust was slightly blowing so ordered a new one. Got this for £200, full cat back 3.5", its only Mild steal & not full stainless, im on a budget & there was a £150 price difference between the 2.

As of last night its now fitted & I will grab a few snaps. My friend done it for me while I was at work, he said the standard must have been on there since new, took about an hour to remove it, involved a lot of cutting apparently!

Anyway I was worried it was going to be to big & and loud looking at the size of it when unpacked. Now fitted it looks really nice & the sound... you dont notice it apart from a nice startup & idle gurrgle, also gives a really sporty sound when above 4k. Very happy with it

That looks pretty sleek to me. I had a similar mild steel item from Jetex on my old Rover.

It looks ok, tbh only the tip can be seen, doesnt look too over the top infact looks just slightly larger than standard from a few yards.

Right!! Another tea break!!

Making a small start to winterproof it a bit. Rear bumper off

Not too bad, just a bit dirty

Eh original exhaust looking a bit sorry

Nooo oh well this is the worst bit of rust found hopefully not too bad, best clean that right up!

Underneath in general

Not really got much time so plan was sections each weekend. So far got underneath the rear bumper & the rear arches before darkness or ran came. Done partly underneath the boot but it will need another going over. Mainly scrubbed/sanded the rust parts & Kurust gel/paint 1st then went over the top of everything with black hammerite (spelling) black rust paint.

Also treated the inside of the boot rubber seals before putting back on just incase, last cars used to rust here so it wouldnt hurt.

Next mid section & front as I got whole weekend off.

Had oil & oil filter changed yesterday. Loverly clean oil mmmmm!!

EDIT - 5x7 speakers arrived today along with Ford Stalk remote :D

It's lovely to see the work you are putting into bringing this Puma back to the life it deserves.

Well done. :)

XIIVVX said:
It's lovely to see the work you are putting into bringing this Puma back to the life it deserves.

Well done. :)

Thanks Trying to get as much done as possible before then winter weather. Sadly im already pondering why spend money on it and get an FRP hehe My Gti I looked after alot... engine wise, hopefully I can put as much time into the bodywork aswell as engine on this. Iv actually brought it to run into the ground for a year or until a newer car but I just cant help but tidy it up to keep!

looks very tidy indeed there mate :eek:k:

well done for keeping it as it should be :D

Pretty miserable weekend, oddly I got alot more done than planned.

1st up was continue the winterproofing - Front arches & under front bumper. Only managed to do the arhes as the bumper wouldnt come off!! the x4 grill bolts wouldnt budge! Hopefully after some WD40 & rust removal they will undo or loosen for next time! :(

Almost finished before rain. Few spots to patch up when its dryer weather.

Had a go on the door seals too, they were okay just the passenger side was a tad worse.

AS weather poor I decided to lock myself inside the car and do some bits. Started off getting under the rear seat to have a clean & sort out the speakers.... damn was it dirty!

Found me a new toy!!

Also found some stuff I didnt want!

Gave it a good scrub, Kurust, Rust paint & a thick layer of Rust wax... both sides too even though there wasnt any on other side.

Speaker boxes removed & replaced the standards with an ebay job of Fli 5x7's, these were a perfect fit & match the 16cm Fli's in the front doors (needed some cutting). I know they cheap but they x10 better than fords the sound is awesome even coming from the standard headunit! Im happy!

After reading a few topics on here about the remote stalk mod I decided to give it a go myself, the stalk arrived during the week. Looking at back of unit I got completely lost, finding the 2 connectors was probably the longest part of the install & overall the whole install was damn quick.

Was expecting it to look like picture others had taken and Id know what was what hehe.

With the 2 pins found I need to wire it up. This was looking tricky as I couldnt find the part from a scrapyard & would probably not pay full whack for proper new ford part.... or maybe Im really just being to lazy to drive there :)

Anyway here is my fix - A motherboard Fan cable!!!

After filing down 2 small grooves on the end I wired to the stalk & simply just slotted over the headunit pins... perfect fit!!

End product!

Maybe a good fix for those that order the stalks off ebay without the full wires/connectors.

Really pleased with the whole day! Roll on the next time I get to do some more work on it!

Timbo!

Exhaust fitted!! Hardly any noise difference apart from a nice idle gurrgle, even on motorway its not so loud. Open it up and above 3.5-4k gives off an awsome hum :D

Phone camera not so good, seems dark.

Also gave a nice wash, its 1st one since owning too I think!

Next job will prbably be putting the felt wheel things back on, its getting very annoying hearing grit & small stones constanly hitting the arches. Also noticed that removing them from the front exposes the washer tank and air filter bits.

mauritis said:
Pretty miserable weekend, oddly I got alot more done than planned.

1st up was continue the winterproofing - Front arches & under front bumper. Only managed to do the arhes as the bumper wouldnt come off!! the x4 grill bolts wouldnt budge! Hopefully after some WD40 & rust removal they will undo or loosen for next time! :(

Almost finished before rain. Few spots to patch up when its dryer weather.

Had a go on the door seals too, they were okay just the passenger side was a tad worse.

AS weather poor I decided to lock myself inside the car and do some bits. Started off getting under the rear seat to have a clean & sort out the speakers.... damn was it dirty!

Found me a new toy!!

Also found some stuff I didnt want!

Gave it a good scrub, Kurust, Rust paint & a thick layer of Rust wax... both sides too even though there wasnt any on other side.

Speaker boxes removed & replaced the standards with an ebay job of Fli 5x7's, these were a perfect fit & match the 16cm Fli's in the front doors (needed some cutting). I know they cheap but they x10 better than fords the sound is awesome even coming from the standard headunit! Im happy!

hi i have allso got some fli 5x7 so was relived to see they fit straight in the back have also started tetrosealing my wheel arches hoping to do the whole underneath of my car when we get better wheather. i also tetrosealed my springs and shocks.
looking good
jason :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back