Engine Servicing for your PUMA. Cambelt, seals, etc

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EOmxp0.jpg

Sdujce.jpg

As many will know already I've been taking a fair few engines out recently and uncovering a few cans of worms :lol:

I thought it about time to go bit more 'public' with my little operation and share the info a bit more widely.. (new website soon)

Ok so here goes...

Firstly, I don't do a 'cambelt change'. When you look at the amount of issues that are staring you in the face when you start work on the engine the cambelt is actually the least of the problems that need sorting, and in fact, most of the cambelts I have taken off so far have all been in excellent condition (visually). As I've mentioned in other posts, the cambelt itself is a pretty robust item and does not just fail randomly when it reaches a certain age (like people seem to think). Failure usually occurs when someones 'messed with it' and finished it incorrectly tensioned OR something else has gone wayward like a pulley bearing gone etc etc... SO, my point is.. A timing belt replacement on it's own (regardless of whether your doing the water pump also) is in my opinion a complete waste of time and money.. On all the 1.7's I have seen, the crank seals are leaking, the cam seals are leaking, the top cam cover weeps in the usual places and also the inlet system is plastered in oil and the positive crankcase breather valve is in desperate need of replacement....

So this is what I offer as an engine service:.....

Kind Regards

Chris Allison
Allison Automotive Limited

Engine Service

Stage 1

Remove Gearbox and exhaust manifold, separate Air-con compressor (retain in position)
Remove Engine
Inspect condition and ‘feel’ of belts and Pulleys (Idle pulley, Water pump, Aux Tensioner, Alternator) replace as necessary
Remove ALL exterior Engine parts incl. studs etc - clean down the engine thoroughly
Complete Inlet removal – clean oily residue around the inlet and ports
Remove power steering bracket and pump – clean down
Remove both sump sections – clean out old sealant (THE most annoying job ever lol!)
Remove oil pump - Change front and rear crankshaft oil seals
Re-seal both sump sections using Wurth Sealant – use new bolts to re-fix
Replace camshaft seals
Replace Cam Tensioning system incl. Belt and spring loaded tensioner, re-time using SPX cam positioning plate, loosen off both cam pulleys and re-tension using Torque wrench
Set bottom Pulley Stretch bolt to 40Nm + 90 Deg (by Hand) (Bottom pulley removed and installed using correct SPX tooling)
Renew Engine Oil and Gearbox Oil – Renew Coolant (Ford 10 year Advanced) -
install new Top cover Gasket
Install new Plugs
Inspect condition of clutch and concentric slave bearing (recommend replacing at least the bearing if it’s old – Drive shaft oil seal also)
Inspect Front crankcase breather box – replace valve – re-seal back to block
Check condition of Coolant housing and coolant temp sensor (just underneath Coil Pack) clean and remove corrosion – reface – re-fit
Remove Coolant thermostat housing– clean mating face and re-seal back - fit new Thermostat
Re-assemble everything back to car and test!

Stage 2
All of the above incl.
Removal of cylinder head – full head clean and valve removal
Clean valves – replace valve stem oil seals – ‘lap’ valves back into head and seat
Install new head gasket and bolt kit

Painting option available on both levels of servicing at extra cost of £110
(sump sections cleaned and painted separately and re-attached with new fixings)

Other parts to consider restoring
Gear Linkage pole
Driveshaft inspection – re-pack joints and renew intermediate bearing
Heater Control Valve
Clutch
Coolant hose upper and lower to radiator
Engine Mounts
Fuelling sensors – Air Flow – Oxygen sensor etc

That all sounds amazing, I wish you'd been fixing Pumas when 201 was suffering :x

red said:
[post]353526[/post] That all sounds amazing, I wish you'd been fixing Pumas when 201 was suffering :x

Just noticed today that post you made on RPOC re threaded plug/head situation... eek!

why is it FRP's find there way to these kind of problems..crazy ..

I'm finding a lot of problems on cars are pure laziness because mechanics can't be bothered to learn how to use tools correctly and just want to blast everything off/on with a cordless impact wrench :evil: :evil:

My rant for today :lol:

Looks like a great service you are offering. How much do you charge for stage 3? And whereabouts are you based? And would you do it for a standard 1.7 not frp? :) thanks.

Yes, can offer the same service for any Puma... my order of service is slightly different for a standard puma due to getting the manifold and cat section out which is a right faff... but yes! Havn't got a fixed cost for the stage 3 i'm afraid..it depends greatly on cost of parts at the time...condition of the head and pistons etc etc... it's going to be around a couple of hundred more at least on the labour I would have thought..

Kind Regards

Chris

Definitely +1 for the service that Chris provides, he gave my Millie a full work over just before Ford Fair, and the car feels like it's only got 10k on the clock, instead of nearly 100k. i took the car into a local puma friendly garage to get a new set of tyres, and the mechanics were extremely impressed with the state of the engine and gearbox.. I'll definitely be taking my Thunder into Chris next year for a similar treatment.

Be warned that the cost of the parts (and a case of brake cleaner) will significantly increase the size of the bill, but the labour cost is extremely cheap for the time, experience, and the passion Chris has for the Ford Puma. For anyone who wants their beloved Puma to stand the test of even more time, the service that Chris offers is worth every penny.

So thanks again Chris. You've turned my £300 car purchase into a daily drive that makes me grin every time I turn the key.

Chris has just finished a full engine refresh on my 2001 1.7 Puma, including new clutch and some new suspension bits and pieces.

Drove it back home on Sunday and it felt just like new.

He also had the car MOT'd for me whilst he had it, so that was great and saved me a job this week.

If you want a new lease of life for your Puma, definitely give him a call :grin:

We just got our 2001 vintage 1.7 VCT back from Chris. He did a Stage 1 Engine service and replaced the dodgy clutch fitted by a local garage whose mechanics leave rowel marks in the carpet when they walk around!

It is running as "sweet as a nut" and the gear change which had been a bit balky is now silky smooth.

It's a real pleasure to deal with someone like Chris who is a man after my own heart. If a job's worth doing, its worth doing well, and that's precisely what he does.

It wasn't dagger cheap, but still way cheaper than the local stealership wanted to just replace the front oil-seal on the crank!

A huge thank you to Chris.
David Partridge

Chris did a stage 2 and gearbox work on my 1.7. I also bought his 4 branch manifold and custom exhaust. Not cheap but the car is being fully restored (yes I know it’s not worth it) as a retirement project. The car belonged to my daughter so has sentimental value!
Anyway, I got the car started before Christmas - needed a new battery - and started on the button and sounded sweet.
Restoration on hold for now but once painting is finished she will be ready to go.
The moral of the story - if you can do work yourself then do it. Let the experts deal with the important stuff. And Chris is an engine expert.

Hi there, I'm interested in a stage 1, possibly 2, could I please get a price and timescale. Many thanks

Hello Loganberry.
Service 1 and 2 came just short of £1200. This included engine cleaning and painting. I did, however, supply Chris with Ford cambelt kit and water pump. Took about 3 months - not a problem for me but I suspect Chris could do it quicker. Best check His website above.

Latest posts

Back