1.7 Valve Spring Platforms / seats x8 urgently required

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1679

Hello guys n gals,
Re-assembling a spare 1.7 head and I've misplaced (lost) 8 of the steel valve spring platforms / seats that sit between the lower face of the spring and the aluminium cylinder head.
Build at a halt as I urgently require 8 of these.
Trying here first before the main dealer and that's if they're still available.
They are 25mm outside diameter, 16mm inside diameter and are 0.5mm thick.

Thanks, Rob.

Attachments

• IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 6,381
Still required folks......anyone got a knackered head I could have these from??

Hi, only just seen your reply , any joy on 8 of these?? Let me know how much you want , I don't expect them for nothing. Otherwise I'm going to have to buy a complete head....... thanks for the response

Hi Rob, I might have these lying around in my shed (have 2 spare engines in parts), two questions though: where exactly do I find them on the engine (educated in healthcare, not in mechanics) and because I live in the Netherlands, there will be some shipping costs.

Hi matti,
These sit between the lower face of the valve springs and the aluminium cylinder head. It does mean you will need to remove the head and then use a valve spring compressor to remove 8 valves to access these bases.
One point worth mentioning is that on a well used (oily) cylinder head, that these are barely visible in the head, my mistake was that I hot tank cleaned the head and it sat for a few weeks, when I looked down the tappet bores upon starting to reassemble it, I noticed clean aluminium on some and the spring bases on others, hot tank had been emptied & cleaned so the bases i'd left in there had been disposed of with the waste fluid.
Fine with any carriage costs, its just a fair bit of work to liberate them......... if anyone has a head in bits the majority of the work is done.
Thanks for responding, let me know either way.
Rob.

Rob...

Where are you located? I may have a set of these but on a different engine so have no idea about compatibility. I have no way of removing them without losing an eye or worse so I would have to let the entire head go - which I'm not bothered about.
All this depend on the compatibility and your location.

It may be wise at the moment to see if Matti can help you first...

Hi,
Im on the South Cheshire / North Staffordshire border so a fair way from you.
These are specific to the 1.7 engine, they sit in a machined recess in the head that is the same diameter as the seat - 25mm.
Strange as the 1.25 , 1.4 & 1.6 engines have a combined valve stem seal and seat where on the 1.7 they are separate and this leaves the stem seal prone to "lifting" from the guide.
Thanks for responding, Rob.

Hi Rob, I think I understand where I need to look for the platforms. Probably I won't be able to get to them myself (don 't have the tools anyway), so I'll try to bring the cylinderhead to my mechanic tomorrow, I guess he will have them out of the engine fast enough. I'll let you know if that works out.

Update: been to my mechanic (third time this week, since his advice is free), gonna try and liberate the seats tonight. I was hoping he would do that for me, but he insists I'll learn more if I try it myself (I hate it when other people are right).

Rob, in one word...eureka!!! Had to learn a lot of Greek words in high school, won't bore you with the details :grin: . But, more importantly, I found the 8 items you need! Hidden between the valves, springs and the cylinderhead. Liberated one, now very carefully removing the other 7. I'll pm you for adress specifics, also we need to discuss sending manner, cheapest out of the Netherlands will be an enveloppe with bubble plastic I think. If necessary, I can send you a photo via email of the one I have on my kitchen table, it looks exactly the same as your picture and has the same dimensions (now pretty confident I have the right part :p ).

Matti..... you are a star!!!!!! I will send a PM to sort out the details.
MASSIVE THANKYOU.

Rob.

Hi, on a well used (oily) cylinder head, these are barely visible in the head, my mistake was that I hot tank cleaned the head and it sat for a few weeks, when I looked down the tappet bores upon starting to reassemble it, I noticed clean aluminium on some and the spring bases on others, hot tank had been emptied & cleaned so the bases i'd left in there had been disposed of with the waste fluid.
This is how Yamaha do their motorbike heads / spring seats so the concept is from them.

Rob.

Latest posts

Back