Project Puma 'Black'

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove the Puma again today, really enjoyed driving it, and giving it some stick, but I remain very pleased with my decision to change. I think that the Puma is a great car, and currently great value for money, but it is best in something approaching standard form.

If you want a 200PS car, then save the cash you would spend on modifying your Puma, and buy one. If you are particularly attached to your Puma, then based upon my experience, most importantly make sure it runs properly, replace all of the wear parts with new standard parts, change the cams for FRP spec, the master cylinder and servo from an early Puma, possibly ST170 front brakes (there are incidences of the Mk3 Mondeo calipers warping discs as the ST170 discs are really a bit thin for the Mondeo calipers), and if you must change the wheels, please, please stick to something as close as possible to standard spec, and no more than 16" diameter.

4-2-1 exhaust is fine, but the noise that it makes, while fun when you are in the mood, in day-to-day use detracts from the appeal of the car as even the Milltek is just too loud, especially on the motorway.

Anyhow, the car finally got the FRP tail pipe fitted;

IMG00062-20100725-1343a.jpg

As I said above, I gave it some real stick, and it definately still puts a smile on my face, but the smile now is no less than it did with the full Milltek, FRP inlet, FRP ECU, etc.

Still lookin good Will :).. Glad you enjoyed yourself, at least you still get to have a go from time to time, with it still being in the family etc :)..

The seller of a wheel control switch says the one he is selling has a 3 pin socket. He dont now the year of it but belive its 1999-2002. Does your have 3 pins? Cant see if it has it on the picture you added.
Dont get why there are three there are only two needed. Will it work you think?

Okay thanks again flash.
I went to ford tis mondeo 1997-98.
It has 6 cabel leads so then it fits very well with the describtion of 3 pins .

Not sure what got into me but here is a picture of the 2001-2003 pin plugg it has 3 pins , its what I need.

image.php

Got the plug I orderd earlier in the post today here is a picture.
image.php

Hi!
Got the audiowheel controll from a mondeo and tested out today.
But it didnt work:-(. My player is probably to old. Work difrently than the new one.
I used pin 1 and 2 on the switch and iron it togheter with 9-md26 to pin 1 8md26 to pin 2.

I tested the switch and it seems to be okay when messeare it in ohm

Vol- 54,5ohm
Mode 1039 ohm
Vol + 147 ohm
Seek 563 ohm

Oh dear, I would try different pins on the third plug to see if that makes any difference. I am pretty sure it should work somehow, though if you do need to get hold of a later headunit, they do have a better power output!

Ahh I think you tottaly right. I guess I just asumed to use the wire wholes that was allready connected on the yellow.
The other pins is not found on TIS.
I will try out all combinations to see if it works.

It didnt work :cry: . I did all 30 combinatons.
The only ting that siemed to work was the phone.

:grin: Nothing to be sorry for, I am glad I gave it a try. By looking at the drawing in TIS it shuld have worked .
And your player wasnt so diffrent for mine.Cheers again for all help FlashBastd.

Hi FlashBastd,

I have a Puma model 2001 in a very good condition. I have carefully studied your modifications one by one, and I really admire your excellent Puma and your skill to overcome all the difficulties to have the optimum result for your Puma. Among the modifications I'm interested in converting the rear drums brakes into disc brakes. So I decided to use the Ford Focus mk1 rear discs.
First of all I spoke to Ford dealer and told me that is not something so difficult to deal with, but the major issue is the connection of Puma's ABS to Focus' ABS in order the entire system to work properly. So I have to deal with new things like tone rings, ABS wires, sockets etc. Some of the mechanics told me that is not easy to make the Puma's ABS to work with rear Focus' disc brakes, while other told me not to do it, since I will have a lot of problems in the conversion.
Having studied your conversion I understood that you kept Puma's ABS wires. So I would like to ask you. What if I cut each Puma's rear ABS wire, and connect them to Focus' ABS sensor wires? Why I have to drill the hole in the hubs, instead of changing Puma's ABS sensors with Focus' sensors?

I really thank you in advanse for your reply. I'm sending you my personal mail as well.

Thanos
[email protected]

thanos1410 said:
Hi FlashBastd,

I have a Puma model 2001 in a very good condition. I have carefully studied your modifications one by one, and I really admire your excellent Puma and your skill to overcome all the difficulties to have the optimum result for your Puma. Among the modifications I'm interested in converting the rear drums brakes into disc brakes. So I decided to use the Ford Focus mk1 rear discs.
First of all I spoke to Ford dealer and told me that is not something so difficult to deal with, but the major issue is the connection of Puma's ABS to Focus' ABS in order the entire system to work properly. So I have to deal with new things like tone rings, ABS wires, sockets etc. Some of the mechanics told me that is not easy to make the Puma's ABS to work with rear Focus' disc brakes, while other told me not to do it, since I will have a lot of problems in the conversion.
Having studied your conversion I understood that you kept Puma's ABS wires. So I would like to ask you. What if I cut each Puma's rear ABS wire, and connect them to Focus' ABS sensor wires? Why I have to drill the hole in the hubs, instead of changing Puma's ABS sensors with Focus' sensors?

I really thank you in advanse for your reply. I'm sending you my personal mail as well.

Thanos
[email protected]

It is a different system. Focus uses magnetic sensors (Hall sensor type) and magnetic tone rings (consisting of heaps of small magnets).
Puma system is the older generation type whith inductive sensors and simple metal tone rings. The only way for you to keep the functionality of ABS system is to make mechanical alterations to fit the existing system to the focus hubs

Good Morning and thank you very much for your reply.

I understand your point, it seems that there is something different between Focus/Puma ABS system. Though (since I understand that you have a deep knowledge on that) both of the systems uses a simple current 5v or 12v which the ABS central unit transmit through the wires and ABS sensors to the tone ring. So if this is the case what is the difference between the magnetic sensors vs inductive sensors? Actually both of the models uses the same ABS central unit. So the current must be the same.
Anyhow could you please advise me if there is another Ford model, which I would be able to take the rear disc brake system and to be able to adapt it to my Puma. For example Fiesta XR2 (1994) or Fiesta RS Turbo? If not what do you suggest me to do?

Thank you for your help,

Thanos

Latest posts

Back