update on projects

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes welding and fabrication always in demand, both sons on welding courses.

434 432 MTLB
IMG_0209.jpg

FH70
IMG_0274.jpg

sARACEN
24062010464.jpg

okay, turbo puma now back on the road with a sweet new turbo but very dodgy tracking, off to the shop to have new front tyres and tracking done...

bad news was Nitrous FRP was/is faster...isnt that bizzarre, supposedly with 9psi boost I should be getting around 195 bhp, i have no slip from the clutch but nitrous puma with only 30 bhp extra, ie around185bhp is faster...it may be to do with the torque curve, nitrous is obviously more instant than the turbo so we will have to see how they pull post 80 mph but so far nitrous is by far the fastest...and once nitrous goes for the biugger 50 jets i doubt the turbo will get a look in on 0-100 times...even when we bost her up a bit...will pump her upto 12 psi and see how she runs...just want to check engine components and compression levels before we go boosting her much more...

are you running it at 9psi with no decompression plate or intercooler? will be interesting to see how it does, how is it being fuelled with a adjustable regulator or a FMU?

good questions we have not yet investigated the install, remember it was a van aachen installation, we understand they did not use decompression plates, but we will be if it doesnt have one. We will be copying as much as we can as the kit has been mega reliable. so up to 200 bhp on the std engine seems fine for reliability purposes...we will push it a bit further to see what breaks then see how we go forward...

not sure about the fuelling yet, we will again be playing about with that and give full report once all sorted. we just wanted it running smoothly first...now we can play...and learn a bit...then start modding to buld a reliable kit...

this is great that you can push it till it breaks :eek:k: because i dont think anyone really knows the breaking point,if your going to run it around at 9 psi i would at least buy a intercooler and either a FMU or a adjustable regulator with a gauge,i dont know if you know but the van aaken kit was only designed to run low boost around 5 psi,so you mite be running lean plus the added temperature of no intercooler bang :hide: :grin: any chance of some pics of the car and engine bay

Paul....

If you fancy a wideband sensor setup with gage etc I have one which I can't see me using now. It's brand spanking new, boxed and unused and is the one shown in the link & picture below:-

http://shop.grahamgoode.com/innovate-motorsports-mtx-l-wideband-air-fuel-ratio-gauge-with-8-foot-sensor-cable-inn3844-63412-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

View media item 2846
Looking for £120 inclusive of P&P.

Or if anyone else is interested then please PM me. Cheers ;)

yes I will have it...

as rtegards boost, its been run as is for a good while, if the van aaken set-up is set for 5 psi then it is likely it doesnt have a decompression plate. we will check this, I want to push boost up to 12 and beyond to see what i can get...blowing the engine is no problem at all and is likely to be the only way to really get a good ide of what will let go first...

I have one or two spare engines..i then want to play with the engine itself and look into getting it done to an frp engine...think this will be the best choice. got a lot to learn as regards all of this as I am totally new to engine modifying, all my ideas are theory not pratical...luckily I have a good engine man and a very capacble young lad who is really into this stuff who will help me along the way...

oh yes want to fit a intercooler, its on the list...got to sort a few other things out first...will document it, will post pictures tomorrow, son raging the car tonight...

interior
pumas012.jpg

turbo and pumaspeed, turbo cost 400 quid for rebuild. running sweet but more work needed...
pumas004.jpg

pumas003.jpg

engine bay not best picture but okay...
pumas011.jpg

dogs by special request....

to turbo i want to fit bigger 18 inch wheels, cut the arches a bit and fit spats and widen the track at the rear with an FRP spacer mod plus look into modifying the front width too...may also fit an frp gearbox to it to give it the taller final drive to make maximum use of the extra power...and an lsd too...all depends upon how the work goes with fitting turbo's and superchargers to the two frps and building a 4x4 puma too..I now know i need at least 250 bhp to really be where I want to with these cars...I want 0-100 in under 11 seconds

Latest posts

Back