Electric puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom0

Ok here's something. I'm doing an electric conversion.
It's been a few months since I got the car but I didn't want to say until I have something to show.

ok this is embarrassing, how do you load up pictures? :?
I got the motor and gearbox joined up and halfway putting it in the engine bay.
As soon as I can get the picture up I will show you. haha :grin:

Interesting!

Have a look here as how to post pictures:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ok I think thats it.

enginebayzoomin.jpg

enginebay.jpg

motortogearbox.jpg

so what do you think? I know it looks small even small than the gearbox but don't be fooled I'm expecting it to 90mph. :lol:

Now that is how to space save and weight strip!

But what an outside of the box thing to do! How will you charge the thing, that's always been my concern with electric cars, when you run out of juice, theres just not a plug there when you need it... lol.

There is also potential to make some sort of storage comparment in there. As some old cars used to have their spare wheel in the engine bay, you could have a comparment made for.... jump leads lol, red trianges, first aid kit etc etc and free up some space say in the boot.

It is not something i personally would do but good on you for being creative! The first HammerHeadi Eagle Thrust Puma lol

What an awesome project, what sort of power will that motor produce? I dont know how you thought of doing this, but im very impressed!!!

I know it defeats the object, but if you were to put a petrol powered generator in there, and plug it in while you drove, would that work?? I mean other then the fumes from the generator potentially poisoning you!! :lol:

Hi guy been on holiday almost forgot I posted this….opps

The batteries are very large; I’m planning to put them on top of the motor. A few in the front and the back, as you know the spear wheel is under the car so that gives me a flat floor to put them.

One of the reason why I like the puma is because its 4 seats, big boot for the batteries (they do take a lot of room), and it’s got very common parts that are sold today as there not made anymore.

It needs a gear box because it can only rev so high. Also a clutch, imagine doing an emergence stop. It would really damage the motor, not a lot of fun when it comes to repair, lol.

Try looking at http://www.avt.uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; their customer service is fantastic, they offer as much help that I need. :grin:
They made the plate to bolt the two together. Can’t test it yet but I know it’s put together correctly.

Wow, I must have missed this the first time around! Impressive!

How will you keep the batteries charged? You say they're quite big but do you know how long they will run for?

I am still currently training Nissan dealers on Leaf

I become more and more convinced that within ten years only a tiny minority of cars will be pure petrol/diesel.

Most will be pure EV, hybrids or range extenders.

Interested to watch this project develop

Leaf incidentally has no clutch, the wheels remain connected to the engine at all times, hence it can't be towed. But it does have regen braking. Emergency stops are no issue.

Interesting but....you now have no power steering, no brake servo, you have probably destroyed the front/rear weight balance which means the handling will be sh*t, not that it matters because you can't stop it anyway.

Plus if as you say the motor revs so high will that not then destroy the clutch every time you try to pull away or change gear.

Like I said, interesting but have to ask ..why?

BTW petrol engines will hopefully outlive most of the stupid hybrid/electric vehicles around at the moment or at least I sincerely hope they will.

Long live the "proper" engine, the bigger the better

I got a small 12v vacuum pump which I’m going to hoes to the servo.
The power steering, I’m hoping to have a manual. It depends how heavy it is. If so I have a backup, try looking up EPS, electric power steering. I only found that out after I started this project, so that’s a relief. Lol.

Forgot to say, made a mistake its max rpm is 3000. Is that too low for the gearbox? Not sure :?

You are right hybrids are stupid and very inefficient. If you are using the engine or the motor you are always carrying something you’re not using. One or the other not both. Lol
Why well, the performance will be the same (I checked that beforehand).

But the costs are great. Road tax is determined by your CO2 emissions and as there are none… so :grin:
You know the g-wiz (rubbish car if you can call it a car). But there say 1 pence per mile and that isn’t a joke!, because petrol is pretty expensive now.

With max revs at 3000rpm would you not be better off going for a diesel gearbox, say one out of a 1.8 diesel fiesta?

I would also gear it up with bigger rolling circumference wheels otherwise you'll top out at about 55/60mph unless you don't mind dordeling down the motorway.

oh no... any eco puma!! i might leave mine running over night to make up for the lack of global warming coming out the back of this one!!

Jokes aside, really impressed with that, very interesting project

Dont worry Jay, my F3 puma will compensate, although have a similar power steering issue, so looking at using a saxo vtr electric power steering pump

Well look at it this way, you won’t feel as guilty when you’re out on a track day. so it equals out :)

That’s a good point I will look into it. I will have a closer looking about the gear box. thanks you may have saved me sometime in getting this thing on the road.

Does the weight of the batteries offset the weight of the smaller motor and the lack of petrol.
What about battery safety in an impact? do you have some sort of bulkhead/firewall container designed?
(It'd be like the alien spitting on you in an impact :shock: )

zinc2000 said:
BTW petrol engines will hopefully outlive most of the stupid hybrid/electric vehicles around at the moment or at least I sincerely hope they will.

Long live the "proper" engine, the bigger the better
Unfortunately i think we'll all be doing it some day and have speakers out the front, pumping out the original engine sounds, synced to the ancient gearbox. :-D

Latest posts

Back