Electric puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much to comment on here.

Make no mistake, electric cars in one form or another are the future and no amount of whining about 'Long live petrol cars' will ever change that.

The batteries on the Leaf (which I have been working on) are all contained below floor level and within the wheelbase, so are largely protected in the event of impact, certainly more effectively that your flimsy metal box containing 50 litres of highly volatile liquid hung out behind the rear axle. Evcen then they are a minimal fire risk and have a lot of RCD-type circuitry to isolate them in the event of any incident

This production car has no need of a gearbox, and the car delivers maximum torque from a standstill; in city motoring I'd back a Leaf at any short distance traffic light GP.

The weight being low down it handles pretty well for a C-Segment shopping trolley and, trust me, they are an absolute delight to drive. The total silence is addictive.

7 hours overnight to charge enough for 100 miles + (Say £2.30), or 30 minutes on a rapid charger to give you more than 80 miles.

No VED, no congestion charge, no benefit in kind, no need ever to visit a filling station ever again, the government gives you £5,000 back.

The point is this is just the beginning. Toyota are already looking at adding hybrid to the GT86, the Tesla 'Lotus' is a brilliant, if awfully expensive car. Where powertrains will be within ten years we can only guess. But trust me it will be interesting and a lot of fun.

i can understand the concept of the electric car being "the future" but what happens if in an accident the batterys split and spill? its not environmently friendly battery acid, for me the future is hydrogen fuel cell cars, the most abundent gas we have, no need for over night charging and a much better range than batterys.

Eh?

Acid?

They are Lithium Ion and are very well contained. What happens if the sump of a petrol car cracks? Non-environmentally friendly oil everywhere.

Hydrogen is still a long, long way off, if ever. The infrastructure to support it will be massively expensive since it is stored at low temperatures and under enormous pressures. You can't just fill up a normal service station underground tank with the stuff and dispense it with a nozzle. We'll are most likely to see it first in fleet use, where the transport department builds its own storage.

And once battery range reaches (say) 250 miles which would you rather do, seek out a filling station or just plug your car in at home overnight?

Once they have the range to that sort of mileage it would be a viable option as a family car but while they are still around the 100 mile mark there really is no point, get a small diesel, my mk2 Ka would do a minimum of 350 mile to a tank with my lead foot. I once got a tank to last me a month of to and from work, 40mile round trip 5 days a week for four weeks, just shy of 800 miles, not bad on £35

Ginger Tom said:
... but while they are still around the 100 mile mark there really is no point, get a small diesel,

For you maybe, they are certainly not for everybody. But for the user doing a limited mileage, mostly around town and suburbs it makes far better sense as they won't be servicing and eventually replacing the particulate filter at a cost of several hundred quid each time as they would on a modern diesel.

And, as I keep saying - they are a much nicer drive.

XIIVVX said:
And once battery range reaches (say) 250 miles which would you rather do, seek out a filling station or just plug your car in at home overnight?

what do we do now? i dont fill my car up from home, i nip in the petrol station a fill up.. what if your running out of juice before you get home, where you going to stop and charge up?

i think for the imediate future, hybrids are as close to an electric car as your going to get as a viable option, the cost of a full electric car is awful, nissan leaf and the new renault eco tree hugger thing.

For the cost of a leaf? 30k? buy a second hand Golf TDI GT for 8k and run it for 3-4 years for half the cost of an electric car, or even a brand new Fiat 500 twin air, very low pollution, free tax and alot cheaper than any of the electric cars out there, and why do they have to be styled in such a stupid way, instead of a leaf why not just make and electric juke or qashqai? that way you dont have to ride around it something as ugly as a leaf.

i CAN see the point of electric cars but i just dont see them as a viable option at the moment, the ranges claimed by the manufactures are just not true in real world conditions, maybe is the petrol that runs through my viens but i dont see myself ever getting excited about the future of motoring, batterys should only be used to start a car.

As for this project, i dont like the idea of making a car electric powered but as a technical exercise im very impressed and i watch with interest to see the reuslts

PumaJay said:
.. what if your running out of juice before you get home, where you going to stop and charge up?

The public charging infrastructure is expanding very rapidly. You pop onto one of those and charge up. A full 80% charge on a rapid charger takes just 30 minutes, hence a 40% charge will take 15 minutes. Time to grab a Costa. I can't imagine a situation where one would miscalculate the distance of a short trip by much more than 40 miles

PumaJay said:
For the cost of a leaf? 30k?

£25k 0nce you've reclaimed your government grant

PumaJay said:
buy a second hand Golf TDI GT for 8k and run it for 3-4 years for half the cost of an electric car

See my comments above. A modern diesel used for short trips will run you into continuing DPF problems, meanwhile the Golf is nowhere near as nice to drive on the sort of trips at which a Leaf excels

PumaJay said:
or even a brand new Fiat 500 twin air, very low pollution, free tax and a lot cheaper than any of the electric cars out there

And microscopically small. Leaf is full C-segment sized. You are right though, highly efficient small petrol engines are the Leaf's main competition, but then Nissan can offer the DIG-S in Micra.

PumaJay said:
and why do they have to be styled in such a stupid way, instead of a leaf why not just make an electric juke or qashqai?

0.28 cd. Function over form. It is only 0.01 - 0.02 higher than a full blown GTR. Drag is the enemy of range

PumaJay said:
I CAN see the point of electric cars but i just dont see them as a viable option at the moment

Not for you, but for many people they are a very viable second-car option.

PumaJay said:
the ranges claimed by the manufactures are just not true in real world

You are right. Driven properly they can be conservative. On real world roads around Lambourn one of the dealer teams I was training travelled around the 26 mile set route and arrived back having reduced the available remaining range on the display by just six miles.

PumaJay said:
i dont see myself ever getting excited about the future of motoring, batterys should only be used to start a car.

Drive one.

It genuinely is not the car for you, but don't diss the concept in the vague hope that diminishing fossil fuel availability and increasing fossil fuel prices will go away. They won't.

I cant wait to see how this project turns out. I've driven one of the new volvo hybrid busses when it was running just on the electric motor (under 12km/h) and its very strange. Put your foot down and it moves with utter silence!
Hope you get this running and driving on the road. Out of interest, how many volts is the motor gonna be running on?

o dear, what sort of debate have I started. haha :)

I have some new pictures!
the controller. it take the battery table and the battery is going to be moved behind the headlight
controller.jpg

controller2.jpg

this is the sheet of alminum as a shelf for my vacuum pump and other stuff.
frontpanel.jpg

the vacuum pump it connects to the brake servo, along with a reservoir.
vacuumpump.jpg

this is the accelerator cable connected to a Variable resistor which then tells the controller what to do.
potbox.jpg

just wanted to show you guys what I have done so far.. more on the way :grin:
what do you think?

Now don't go thinking you are converting me cos that will never happen, still hope electric cars never catch on, but have to say your workmanship is impressive tomO, looking very neat.

However, I still think you are going to struggle to make it handle with the extra weight, most of which seems to be far too high up and at the moment not very balanced looking.

I like the "scalextric" throttle though, and I guess you will never be able to over-rev the thing!

Watching like everyone, with interest.

hi everyone been a while, winter and rain put me to a hult but amost finished.
here is the engine bay

the controller along with the battery which is used for the radio and so on.

the vacuum pump again

the motor i desided to put it upsidedown because the feet facing up makes it easier to bolt in

I know that may see the good and bad points. but having an electric car works for me. it will go at least 90mph and im only going to be driving around town. and also the long way round on the motorway.

if i want to go somewhere far we take someone else car. me and my friend we split the petrol bill when we go on a daytrip so its ok :)

I could go for narrow wheels. because I want to do everything to make it go a longer distance. as you know electric cars can only go for about 40 miles or there abouts

I will keep the old ones if im up to doing a track day or something. imagine the understeer on narrow eco wheels haha

also some light wight racing seats. but let me get it going before we make it Beautiful :lol:

progressing nicely, weve had a few electric cars at work recently.

still not sold on them and as the infastructre were having to put in to charge/maintain them is bloody expensive but i did have a go in a renault twizy.. stupid looking little thing but huge fun to drive!

hi im almost there and i need some help. I want to support the cables coming out if the motor. so they dont droop.

i found out that the pipe holder for the fuel lines is a perfect fit for the cables :) I took off the holder and i can mount it beside the motor. heres a picture so you know what part im talking about.

theres 3 cables as it is a 3 phase motor and it only has two slots. so i need another one. can you help me find one. what is it called then it will be easyer to find on ebay.

thanks

Still a fascinating project.

Speaking of which..

Have you seen what Nissan are up to in the range extender world?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/Infiniti-Emerg-e-first-drive-2013-02-22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back