HOW TO:- Rear Wheel Bearing Change

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah cheers I,ve ordered another from a local shop instead of ebay then I can check it before I buy !

Nice guide/how to, will need this to replace both rear bearings om my "millie" soon, cheers for that :thumbs:

Hi allagain
Today I took the drum off today and what a mess !
For starters the drum was held on with 5 really thin nuts instead of one big one but managed to get them off eventually.
Next thing was the left hand break shoe was hanging off as the pin and clip holding it on had snapped off so need a new one of those , then I turned the drum over and no abs ring ! Do all pumas have one or just one wheel ? this was the rear nearside drum by the way .
Thanks.

Craigpuma63 said:
Hi allagain
For starters the drum was held on with 5 really thin nuts instead of one big one but managed to get them off eventually.
Thanks.

I assume you mean the nut shown in the first post, picture 2?
This should come of in one piece, with a 30mm socket. You'll need a new one of these, as they are self-locking (IIRC, around £8 + each).
You'll need a torque wrench which goes to 235 Nm, as this correctly pre-loads the bearing.

Yes that nut I have a new one and I found the abs ring just gotta wait until Monday for the shoes !

Wow, sounds like the previous owner was a bit of a cowboy mechanic. If anything else goes I'd be prepared for more bodges.

As you have no ABS ring on that drum I'm assuming your ABS light is on and the system doesn't work?

If the light isn't on I can guess that the light has been removed in the clocks.

On the bright side, glad to hear the brakes are much better :thumbs:

Found the abs ring new bearings and brake shoes all done and no more grinding noise
Just the other side to do next and the rear bushes as they look shot !
Alternator also changed (£10 quid off ebay !)

I maybe totally wrong and would normally watch how the bearing and parts come out and note the order, but I have seen some so mangled it is hard to tell!

So to preempt any last minute panic is the below picture the correct order for the assembly?

2qxtl5h.jpg

Near enough, but if your calling the drum case the outer part of the drum setup that the bearings fit into. This 'case' is actually between the 2 tapered rings in that the left bearing and taper ring are fitted from the left (inner) side of the drum case and the other 4 parts from the right (outer). The 2 tapered rings fit back to back against the central stop in the centre of the drum.

All will be clear when you have a bearing-less drum in front of you :thumbs:

TOP TIP to remove the taper ring with out damage to the drum use a halfords 30mm impact socket,this is the right size to go through the drum but just tight enough to remove the taper ring,takes less than 10 secs and a well spent £9.00 as you need this socket to get nut off :eek:k: :eek:k: :eek:k: :eek:k:

That is a good tip, I done this yesterday and it was hard to get the spacers outs.
One drum was ever so slightly oval and it was a pain, i used the old ring and the nut and smacked them in to get started.

All is quiet, very noticeable difference! Put some dark green hammerrite on the drums whilst they were off too!

Heh this is what the dust cap looked like:
2rnhh8o.jpg

I guess it let some water in!

I bashed back into a better shape but made sure the 'hole' and rim were well greased (oo-er missus!).

This is a pic of the rim the bearing rings fit against as yippeekiay talked about:
2bd368.jpg

(plus an excuse to show off my refurbed drums :wink: )

So the order starting inside and working outwards is:
ABS Ring (onto drum)>>spacer washer (facing left)>>Bearing one>>Ring One with flat side against...>> Drum Rim>>Ring Two with flat side against drum rim>>Bearing Two>>Hub Nut>>Dust Cap

Tip top guide. Thanks! I took my time... And still managed to get half way through reassembly before noticing that I had forgotten to fit the ABS ring. Doh.

Just about to do mine so thanks for this guide :)

One tip for anyone else who doesn't have a big enough torque wrench, you just need to apply the correct force at the right distance from the hub nut. i.e. stand on the breaker bar (or whatever you have) with the bar horizontal. To calculate to distance, weigh yourself in kilograms, then the distance in cm is 100xtorque/(weightx9.81).

e.g 100x235/(76x9.81)=31.5cm

Mark the breaker bar with a bit of tape at the required distance and stand with the edge of one foot on the mark.

Hope that makes sense!

Bob

Latest posts

Back