The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that water getting into the garage and pooling on the floor and then evaporating and getting in the car was causing some condensation probs in the car to the point that the CD player stopped working one day as it had a mist on the disc.

I'm looking forward to you doing your suspension I should be ordering my excel g's to go with my eibachs soon.

It would be good if you did a how to particularly for the fronts as the how to guide someone did on fitting suspension never got finished after he did the rears. It was a how to for fitting coilovers but was of help to anyone changing springs shocks.

Good luck with it :thumbs:

Getting all the bits together for some imminent time that I've got coming up! A dig around in the shed and the garage turned up this haul...

susp_parts_zps69361a63.jpg

We have;

2x KYB front shocks
2x KYB front shock fitting kits (top mount and bearing)
2x KYB rear shocks
2x KYB rear shock mounting kits (top mount)
4x Eibach 30 mm lowering springs
2x QH track-rod ends (may get the garage to fit these when the tracking is done)
Bag of nuts, bolts, washers and cir-clips from Ford
1x Ford Heater Control Valve (had this kicking around for a while so seems daft not to fit it)

Anything I've missed?

When I'm finished, I will have a complete set of low mileage front and rear (later eye-type) shocks, springs, top mounts and bearings to sell to recoup some cash. :cool:

Going to grab the odd half an hour over the next few days to get Jegger jacked up ready for surgery.

Can you have a look to see if the c clips for the shockers came with them please?

Hope to be getting my excel g shocks soon

No, the c-clips (2 of) I bought from Ford - Part number 1479634 - 60p each.

As far as I can tell, you only need them for the rears.

I asked for everything I'd need to fit new shocks and springs and was given two of the c-clips, two bolts and nuts to secure the bottom of the rear shocks and four nuts for the shocks tops.

Cheers thanks I was just concerned that the ford and excel g clips wouldnt be the same size

The Pinch bolt? Yes, in the bag also although the ones on there are pretty new from the last time the shocks were changed. It'll be interesting to see how easily it comes apart this time!

It'll probably be a walk in the park to lull you into a false sense of security for the hell that will be changing your wishbones at some time :-D

Good show, it looks like you did some wd 40 ing first, either that or you have a cat :-D

Did you not have any probs getting the top nut off? others mentioned needing to use an air ratchet to get it off.

Did you need a breaker bar for the pinch bolt?

glad its going well :thumbs:

Yes, A bit of GT85 around the join just to help a bit. Took a great deal of battering with a mallet to get the bottom of the shock out of the hub carrier. I found that loosening the top bolt right off and battering the bottom spring mount upwards was the most effective method in the end.

The top nut was not a problem though when the mechanic took the original ones off, he just sawed through the push-rods in the end.

The pinch bolt was pretty tight but came out sweetly enough using a medium breaker bar.

Front shocks stripped...

shocks_stripped_all_comps_zps6e92efd7.jpg

Sorry, probably pretty dull for the more accomplished mechanics amongst us, but it's tough finding time at the moment!

Great pic, I've been looking to see how the front strut assembly breaks down - centre row, second component down below the nut - what is that? Is it a plastic cover or a heavy metal item, looks metal?

Where does it sit? Is it the last component in the train before the locknut?

Latest posts

Back