The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Essentially, if you were putting the whole lot together, starting with the shock as the base;

- Bump stop
- Rubber dust cover
- Spring
- Metal top spring plate
- Bearing
- Nut (the one above the bearing in the picture)
- Large rubber top mount
- Car body
- Metal/rubber isolator
- Strut weight
- Top nut

Don't quote me on the part names, sort of making those up. :lol:

BRILLIANT, thanks :grin: I've been struggling with this Spanish manual but think this diagram stops under the body, seems like there are more components above, sorted! (this is the Spanish Fiesta manual too lol, scraping the barrel)

Puma_Strut2.jpg

Here you go;

strut_top_mount_parts_removed_zps58bcba74.jpg

The big rubber doughnut (top mount) goes on top of the strut under the body of the car. The parts above it go on the car from the engine bay in the order shown in the picture.

Struts rebuilt!

rebuilt-strut-done_zps31f92b02.jpg

Was a bit pee'd off to discover, after I'd finished both struts, that one of the new top bearings (that came in the KYB mounting kit) appeared to have been filled with gravel rather than ball bearings. Luckily, my old top bearings have covered less than 2000 miles so had a replacement handy. Still meant I had to strip it again though. Got it down a fine art now... :roll:

I was going to ask about those bearings, whether they needed greasing or whether they are sealed units ??

did you remember to put the eibach bump stops on the front?

How did you judge the bearing to be faulty ? by turning the piston?

The bearings are sealed units. I put a small smear of grease on the plate it sits on but there was probably no need! You could tell the faulty one was no good - it felt gritty and had play in it. When the strut is finished, you can turn the face of the bearing that contacts the top mount. Would have been better if I'd checked it before I put it back together, but by the time I had to strip it again, I had the whole process down to about 10mins!! :lol:

And yes, i remembered the bump stops. If you forget them, the dust gaiter falls down anyway! I'm not just throwing these things together you know! :p

I'm not just throwing these things together you know! :p

I know what your like, you need supervision :) the slightest scent of a pie in the air and its down tools and your off :-D :-D

oredered my shock absorbers today, but still short of the topmounts, circlips, pinch bolts

and the stuff I'm getting from Ian g so I can keep my old struts intact for emergencies oh and the spring compressors as well

Ok, anyone got any tips on how to get the bottom of the shock into the hub carrier? Took me an hour and a half and I'm still 1/4" short... :evil:

It's a right beggar to do as there's not really anything you can batter with a mallet. Huff...

Grease inside the hole and jack up the hub maybe ?

try to pry the hole open while your putting it in ?

Did you leave the top end loose ish to give it a bit of wiggle room so it can go in the hub at its best poss angle ?

Yes to all of those!

I even set up an elaborate see-saw system which worked well for half of the process... :lol:

Haven't tried REALLY swearing at it yet though. Maybe try that tomorrow...

I'm not sure how the pinch bolt is, i.e. does it screw into one half of the split in the hub or does it have a nut that goes on the end (if that makes sense)) but if one half of the split is threaded you might be able to put the bolt in the hub from the opposite direction and then put some thing like a thin sheet of metal or some tool in the split to stop the bolt going into the other half of the hub and then just ratchet the split open a little, probably only needs 2mm

or hammer a chisel into the split to hold it open rather than trying to prise it open

I'm going to have a go with it again tomorrow. I PM'd STEAVIE for advice and it seems I've been going too easy on jacking the hub. He's given me a few tips. Round two...

Dont forget to share the tips....well the ones that work any way :) good luck peeps :thumbs:

I bet steavies got a big mahoosive jack though and youve got a £20 little halfords thing like me?

It'll all go in the guide. Maybe even the bizarre stuff I tried that didn't work... The see-sawing while whacking it with a hammer simultaneously - that got some straaaaaange looks from neighbours. :lol:

Latest posts

Back