tuning tips for my autograss puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluezak

I wondered if I could ask some advice?

For my puma 1.7, I wanted to make a few upgrades to it over the winter closed season. It is only an autograss car so wont be going for any major upgrades but am looking at some cheap(ish) upgrades I can do it to get some more horsepower in 1st and 2nd gear (never get in a higher gear than that) I plan on removing the power steering and the aircon. Also planning on getting a 4-2-1 manifold, better HT leads, iridium spark plugs and was going to try a chip that makes the MAF sensor think that the air is really cold so throws more fuel into the car. Also found a 4 bar fuel pressure gauge.

If any of these are no good, will just knock them off my to buy list. have 3 meetings over the next 4 weeks but after that I will be starting the work and stripping the bodywork to knock out the dents, my OSF front wing have taken a bit of a bashing as has the drivers door and will be taking the angle grinder to parts to make it a bit more lightweight!

Thanks in advance :grin:

the maf chips are a waste of money, its basically an inline resistor to change the signal from the maf to the ecu but the lambda sensors will send their correct signal to the ecu and cancel out the diference from the maf.

you could look into the mod that removes the torque limiter from 1st and 2nd gear, I remember seeing on here some where that you either need to short out 2 pins on the ecu plug or you remove a pin from the plug. use the search function at the top of the page and you should find the info you need there.

good luck next season, its been years since i did autograss (had a class 1 mini YD49) :)

If you have an analogue dash, disabling the torque limiter is easy.... Unplug the electrical connector from the gearbox speed sensor.

One of the guys on here did post on his project thread how to disable it on a digital dash, but the speedo stopped working.

found this
Longyear said:
You know above, where I said "one last question....." ?

well I lied! :crazy:

This is a pic of my ECU, still in position on the car, in the passenger footwell. Could anyone tell me if the wire loom that is circled in red, is coming off of the main ECU plug?

image026.jpg

........basically I am wanting to run a switch off one of the wires off the ECU main plug, so I don't want to have to break the rivets and remove the ECU if I don't have to. The wire I am looking for is PIN 58, almost always blue/white, I am told, and guess what there is a single blue/white wire within the loom in that pic above. Is the concensus that this wire is coming off the ECU main plug? ....

For those interested, a switch off this PIN 58 wire will remove the Torque Limiter from the car, without deactivating the speedo, even in 1st gear, and even with digital speedos. :grin: ... so this is an alternative to the switch running off the speed sensor, but this way, the whole wiring stays in the car (nothing coming from engine bay to cockpit), and as above, the speedo is not lost at all.

Many thanks.

thanks for that tip, removed that the second meeting as it was making the car drop off when it hit certain revs and its run fine since then, def makes it faster at the end of the straights and has more power than the 2 litre pinto on carbs at the end of a straight. Not sure if that's because its a newer engine or because it is running injection but something is making it work there!

from what I understand if you disconnect the ABS then the torque limiter is disabled. If you're only using first and second, lighten the flywheel or try a small engined Fiesta box with lower ratios

lusid666 said:
found this
Longyear said:
You know above, where I said "one last question....." ?

well I lied! :crazy:

This is a pic of my ECU, still in position on the car, in the passenger footwell. Could anyone tell me if the wire loom that is circled in red, is coming off of the main ECU plug?

image026.jpg

........basically I am wanting to run a switch off one of the wires off the ECU main plug, so I don't want to have to break the rivets and remove the ECU if I don't have to. The wire I am looking for is PIN 58, almost always blue/white, I am told, and guess what there is a single blue/white wire within the loom in that pic above. Is the concensus that this wire is coming off the ECU main plug? ....

For those interested, a switch off this PIN 58 wire will remove the Torque Limiter from the car, without deactivating the speedo, even in 1st gear, and even with digital speedos. :grin: ... so this is an alternative to the switch running off the speed sensor, but this way, the whole wiring stays in the car (nothing coming from engine bay to cockpit), and as above, the speedo is not lost at all.

Many thanks.

Atention there are more then one white/blue wire. One of them is for the MAF sensor. So you have to be shure that you have the right one. I put a conector in the wire today.

Unfortunately the puma engine went 2 years ago, blew 2 in a year so took it out with the hope of replacing it with a bigger engine haha. Thanks for the reply though

Latest posts

Back