FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sod all torque though as bikes don't need any with such little mass.

Well yes but there's a video knocking around of a RWD Puma with a Hayabusa engine in it so it worked for that haha. I'll scour the Internet for a link.

And nobody mentions the Toyota 2zz .1.8 litre and 190 bhp N/A .Strong engine mine has been supercharged to 280 BHP for 30 k miles and about 35 trackdays.Never changed the plugs never missed a beat ,never uses any oil.They rev to 8k rpm but some do suffer from gearboxes made of chocolate.

In my experience the Toyota 1.8s come with pretend clutches that give up after about a week.

And also, Errol just let us know when you want your thread back :eek:k:

How did this turn from 4wd monster chat to a n/a engine with a few hundred horse power lol,Errol won't be happy :lol: I had my puma and evo at the same time and was tempted but it is alot of work,without spending crazy money you could forge a 4g63/4g64 and run it at 500 600bhp easy,or at the other end of the scale

http://youtu.be/UGv02ZJjkyU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps should be all good now balanced it out with a big turbo :eek:k:

Bentleya said:
Haha, says you with a Mazda engine ;)

:lol: You horrible man!! Ok so its a Mazda developed engine thats been adopted by ford! But you will still see ford logos dotted about the engine, so it counts as a Ford engine! :cool:

d170sam said:
Ah but didn't ford own Mazda at the time? So really its Ford anyway!
Thanks Sam, defending my honour when they trying to tar me with the Jap brush :eek:k:

TGPlayer1 said:
In my experience the Toyota 1.8s come with pretend clutches that give up after about a week.

And also, Errol just let us know when you want your thread back :eek:k:

Ha ha its all good fun, i didnt realise this was still going on. I dont mind you guys borrowing the thread for a bit, ill borrow it back now if thats ok ?? :lol:

Ok so for those that dont know, i was at Pumabuild yesterday to get some power figures on my car. The spec is a little different now, as i wanted to change a few things, but its almost the same. I swapped out the cams for a lower lift and less duration cam because i werent happy about the low torque and low mid-range power output i had on the 2.0. and i opted for the VCT option instead of fixed cam. And obviusly i increased the engine stroke and capacity to 2.26l (2.3). And here are the results.

Previous Dyno print out:

New Dyno Print out: The blue curve is lowest power output (11psi), the green curve is the middle power output (15psi), and the purple curve is the highest power output (22psi).

The only One im not happy about is the low power curve, i wanted that around 200bhp, as this is the curve used for 1st and 2nd gears all the time, regardless of power setting. Its a very smooth curve, so good for those gears, but i need to see if i can lower it a little.

This is why dyno Figures can be misleading. The old dyno peaked at 424bhp, the new is 400bhp. So youd assume the old engine was better set up then the new?

But if we compare the 2 dynos on the same sheet, you can see the new set up is a LOT better everywhere except above 6500rpm:

If we look at the Torque difference, its a huge increase all through the rev range except above 6500rpm, a very small sacrifice for the amount of extra mid range i am getting. At 5000rpm there is over 110ft/lbs more then before!!

On the BHP difference we see the same again, a very minor peak drop, but through the entire rev range there is a lot more. Again at 5000rpm there is around 110 extra bhp then before.

Once again id like to thank everybody that has helped me get to this stage, im very pleased with the result, i hope it has been worth all your efforts too! The high power output was run at 22psi, the set up can take 28psi, but for once im happy where it is now and really dont need any more power!!

Excellent work mate,ready to hit the strip this summer :eek:k: have you done any test 1/4 pulls and timed it? I would love to see a in car video :)

high figures aren't everything(as you have proved) and I can see from the graphs this is much better on the road.

An excellent tweak is really making the car even more perfect.

Enjoy

Ally

TGPlayer1 said:
I'd just like to say Suzuki should get a mention for squeezing 200 horses into a 1.3. There's engineering, and then there's bike engines.
Sorry for jumping in on an old post but only 200???
My 1.3 has more and is pulling a car not a pushbike :lol: - and is only 2 'cylinder' so has an excuse for no torque :p

By the way Errol....400bhp....sooo jealous. Wonder if I can shoehorn another 2 rotors into my car :lol:

Ah but Wankels are a whole different beast. They are also unreliable, impossible to start from cold, astronomically thirsty and woe betide the poor soul who stalls them. Whereas the trusty Hyabusa will trundle along nicely for the rest of time, and then pull your face off when necessary.

Can you tell i'm biased haha?

That is just mad... You have it perfect...
The way 1st and 2nnd are set up for less boost then full for the rest of the box..
The shift to a lesser cam was a great move.. And fair play for putting in the time to do all the chart work so we can see what you have created..
That vehicle of yours is something else... Fair play.. and congrats..you must be over the moon with your what you have accomplished over the time you first handed over your hand earned cash for the old frp..
I and im sure ever one on project puma applaud you...

yippeekiay said:
TGPlayer1 said:
I'd just like to say Suzuki should get a mention for squeezing 200 horses into a 1.3. There's engineering, and then there's bike engines.
Sorry for jumping in on an old post but only 200???
My 1.3 has more and is pulling a car not a pushbike :lol: - and is only 2 'cylinder' so has an excuse for no torque :p

this got me thinking i wonder how much bhp my washing machine has got ha ha,a mate of mine is well into them yip,when i was up his unit he had a engine out on the floor,looked so tiny not much bigger than a gearbox! they mite have there problems but man they sound awesome with a full exhaust system.

gingerdave said:
Impressive numbers Errol.Maybe see it at a track day sometime :grin:

Think Errol might end up rocking in a corner of a room mumbling a calm chant quietly to himself if you mention "track day with your Puma" at him...

:cry:

Dal said:
gingerdave said:
Impressive numbers Errol.Maybe see it at a track day sometime :grin:

Think Errol might end up rocking in a corner of a room mumbling a calm chant quietly to himself if you mention "track day with your Puma" at him...

:cry:
Chance it will happen twice is very remote.Surly that's what the car is all about.You couldn't use that output on the road without getting put away or sectioned and over a standing quarter would think it would be spinning the wheels all the way down the strip.

Latest posts

Back