FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TGPlayer1 said:
Ah but Wankels are a whole different beast. They are also unreliable, impossible to start from cold, astronomically thirsty and woe betide the poor soul who stalls them. Whereas the trusty Hyabusa will trundle along nicely for the rest of time, and then pull your face off when necessary.

Can you tell i'm biased haha?

Luckily mine is the revised model, so none of those starting/flooding/reliability problems (so far haha). I leave it sat often for over a month and it fires up first time every time, switch it off cold, stall it or whatever and fire it straight up again so a bit closer to being a normal engine ;)

But yeah, some of the older ones can be a bitch. As you say, a whole different beast and it should be treated as such. Unfortunately most who own them are uneducated in it's needs and treat them like a bog standard car which it's far from being. I know of several with 120k+ miles and they're as good as mine as the owners knew how to treat them. Luckily a few inbuilt measures were put in mine so that it's more idiot proof :lol:

Sorry for the hijack Errol ;)

ally frp said:
high figures aren't everything(as you have proved) and I can see from the graphs this is much better on the road.

An excellent tweak is really making the car even more perfect.

Enjoy

Ally

Thanks Ally, very much appreciated!

gingerdave said:
Impressive numbers Errol.Maybe see it at a track day sometime :grin:

Yes definitely Dave, hopefully youll be in the exige next time, i wont keep up but ill have fun trying lol As you say, it wouldnt do the car justice if i didnt take it on track again.

yippeekiay said:
TGPlayer1 said:
I'd just like to say Suzuki should get a mention for squeezing 200 horses into a 1.3. There's engineering, and then there's bike engines.
Sorry for jumping in on an old post but only 200???
My 1.3 has more and is pulling a car not a pushbike :lol: - and is only 2 'cylinder' so has an excuse for no torque :p

By the way Errol....400bhp....sooo jealous. Wonder if I can shoehorn another 2 rotors into my car

Lol a rotory is a different ball game!! Lets not mention the fuel consumption compared to a standard inline 4 cylinder engine! But your quite right, not only is it an awesome engine with regards to capacity, its also an awesome with regards to power to engine weight, and its balance is phenominal! And you dont need any more rotors, just a big turbo bolted on!!

grayfox said:
What's your poison errol? .. you deserve a drink!

Thanks mate, but this forum already brought me a drink or two, many times over!

Dwighet said:
That is just mad... You have it perfect...
The way 1st and 2nnd are set up for less boost then full for the rest of the box..
The shift to a lesser cam was a great move.. And fair play for putting in the time to do all the chart work so we can see what you have created..
That vehicle of yours is something else... Fair play.. and congrats..you must be over the moon with your what you have accomplished over the time you first handed over your hand earned cash for the old frp..
I and im sure ever one on project puma applaud you...

Lol thanks for noticing my graphs, those things took bloody ages :lol: , i wouldnt have bothered if i'd have known how long they would take! Yes im very pleased with things now, althoough ill soon want to change something, my fingers are already itching and ready to tinker!

Dal said:
gingerdave said:
Impressive numbers Errol.Maybe see it at a track day sometime :grin:

Think Errol might end up rocking in a corner of a room mumbling a calm chant quietly to himself if you mention "track day with your Puma" at him...

No way, i must admit ill be VERY nervous when i take it out for the first time again, but this car belongs on track, the engine is built to be worked hard and ill never really be able to do that on the rd. Ill just have to make sure i get track insurance this time, and only do track days that seem to be marshalled properly. And above all, ill leave my ego at track side :oops:

corley said:
Ive said it so many times before Errol but this is my fave car by far, you've put so much effort into this well played mate!!

Thanks Mark, hopefully youll be out in yours soon , once you have that turbo bug, its a slippery slope!!

Fantastic numbers and graphs Errol, looks like we will be on par with the power figures so really looking forward to meeting you and going out for a nice 'leisurly' drive!

Keep us posted with those itchy fingers of yours.

748 said:
Just one word from me...WOW! :)
Thanks bud, I'm well chuffed with the car for now!

gingerdave said:
Errol just get yourself a double session with an instructor at a track day.Difference between your car and mine is you did it ALL yourself,well done matey.

Thanks Dave, that's a good shout on the tuition. The daft thing is I've had the opportunity before but i was too impatient to wait in line to sign up!! I actually have 2 ex-pro drivers in my family lol, so you'd have thought id have pulled my finger out by now!! And there is a big difference in our cars, you have better balance and RWD, an a lower centre of gravity to name a few things, but I'd have a good try at keeping up with you lol.

Davedrave said:
Fantastic numbers and graphs Errol, looks like we will be on par with the power figures so really looking forward to meeting you and going out for a nice 'leisurly' drive!

Keep us posted with those itchy fingers of yours.

Ha ha you should know by now that peak figures don't mean anything, my last engine had more peak bhp then this one, but this one would blitz the last one (as long as I could get traction). It's all about your power curve an how you can get the power down. If you get the balance right you'd still be quicker over a 1/4 mile. But it will be interesting either way to see what they are like compared to each other, on a straight I think you might have the edge simply due to the Zetec turbos seem to have more torque mid range and spool turbos up a bit quicker (maybe down to stroke to bore ratio and head flow). So to get 400bhp you'd need more boost. That would in theory give you more torque through the whole range. And you have more weight over the front wheels, so should be able to get power down a little better. But that will also be a disadvantage in the bends I think, making it more under-steery, an more likely to snap and spin. But again it's how you drive it, so it will be interesting either way.

I'm looking forward to some enthusiastic drives either way, regardless of anything, we will both have the potential to embarrass some bigger unsuspecting cars lol

Oh yes I am fully aware of that, only aiming for between 380 - 400 now as I know it will give a much better responsiveness and feel to the car, especially with that GTX turbo giving me some nice quick spooling action! Yeah it will be good fun to get them on the road and see how they compare but it's not all about seeing who has the best/quickest cars because to everyone, our own cars are the best. Yours is simply amazing and is a true feat of your hard work and skills and has definitely had some inspiration to me doing what I'm doing to mine. Regarding the heavy front end, that and the traction and the only two things that bother me slightly, I want to run mine a bit stiffer at the back, perhaps get a rear anti roll bar for it maybe that might make it more balanced? Something I will have to look into! Also been considering a Gripper diff too but need to drive it with the Quaife first to see what its like.

Yes we must definitely go out for some drives when it is done, and I hope to see you coming to the Puma Europe Rally in August? There is a thread in the 2015 Meets section, should check it out if you haven't already.

Ha ha don't lie, I for one would like to see who's car is quickest in a straight line just for the hell of it. Maybe a 0-150 run to be more accurate, but I think we'd need a half mile strip at least to see that. But I'd like to do it regardless, although I couldn't promise I wouldn't modify mine for a rematch if I lost :lol: :lol:

I've just been out playing with my VCT, I'd like to get that running properly but I'm going to have to swap or upgrade my ECU for that.

Oh of course, I would love to see that! I'll definitely be doing some 1/4 mile run's and I would like to do a top speed run, maybe on the nurburgring straight if/when I go there on this Puma rally might be able to max it out! And me too, if I lost then I would definitely go and get it tuned for that next run - such competitive children we are! I do stand by what I say though, a car should be flexible, quick in a straight line, be able to handle the bends and be good and comfortable for some everyday driving and motorway cruising, ability to do all of these things and not just be the best in one area is a win in my eyes.

What ECU are you thinking of upgrading to?

Oh of course, I would love to see that! I'll definitely be doing some 1/4 mile run's and I would like to do a top speed run, maybe on the nurburgring straight if/when I go there on this Puma rally might be able to max it out! And me too, if I lost then I would definitely go and get it tuned for that next run - such competitive children we are! I do stand by what I say though, a car should be flexible, quick in a straight line, be able to handle the bends and be good and comfortable for some everyday driving and motorway cruising, ability to do all of these things and not just be the best in one area is a win in my eyes.

Just read and seen your graphs Errol - you should very pleased with the results from your changes. I've always been a believer of power delivery through the whole rev range rather than at the end. The car must feel very different and much quicker!

You find people with cossies a lot who have 500hp but only gets there after 6000rpm; it started climbing at 4500rpm by which point the 250hp fiesta has left them for dust. I know which one I'd rather have.

Good job :grin:

I'm hoping to make it to Santa Pod this year - I haven't been for a long time. Are you planning to make it?

Davedrave said:

after looking into a few ECU,s, it became apparent that anything that can do more then what mine can is more then I can afford, so I just made a few upgrades to mine!

moondustka said:
I'm hoping to make it to Santa Pod this year - I haven't been for a long time. Are you planning to make it?

Thanks Ben, yeah I deffo need to get on the strip this year, try and get into the 12 sec bracket. I know I have the power to get into 11,s, but I just cant put it down!

ok so Im running out of things to do now, so I decided to take my ECU apart and fit coil drivers so I could get rid of the EDIS unit. The EDIS is a solid unit, very reliable, but there is one thing it wouldn't let me do!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poV47bXMDEA[/youtube]

For some reason I can't get YouTube links working, I tried to put a video of it on the dyno last week and that wouldn't work either

After launch control and since you already have two maps, I guess you are only missing the switch labelled 'stage' and networking everything to it :wink:
And perhaps an antilag system... :lol:

Thanks Dal :eek:k: now I know what I've been doing wrong I can post more vids up!!

Wild E. Coyote said:
After launch control and since you already have two maps, I guess you are only missing the switch labelled 'stage' and networking everything to it :wink:
And perhaps an antilag system... :lol:

I already have anti-lag mate, but it's just an ignition retard and a % of sparks cut, nothing fancy!

Great to meet you on Saturday, finally! Looking forward to parking up next to you on the Project Puma Stand at Ford Fair.

Got a few pictures for you.

Dan :grin:

IMG_0802_zpspv47vgat.jpg

IMG_0757_zpshxzkvgel.jpg

IMG_0805_zps1x2lifiv.jpg

IMG_1125_zpscefbwuxp.jpg

IMG_1128_zpsgxdx0w17.jpg

Sorry it's been such a long time with no updates, things have been a little hectic. I thought now would be a good time to update because once again, I've managed to break my engine!! :? :oops:

There was one thing that was left standard on my engine, the valve springs. They are a fairly soft beehive type Spring. I decided to increase my revs just because I can, so I turned it up to around 7600. Well it turns out I actually couldn't :oops: It immediately developed a bad misfire. After checking the usual spark and fuel, I saw what the issue was!

This is what happens when you over rev your engine when the valve train isn't up to the job! Valve float city :'(

So I've had to invest in some double valve springs, it's taken me all this time to save for them!

Here are the springs as a comparison, old spring left, new double springs right.
19E64A65-1C59-4705-AEAF-16D533AD987F_zpspqkj6rtt.jpg

Here is the head rebuilt, complete with shiny titanium retainers.

This hopefully should be good for up to 14mm lift and 10500rpm if I chose! Hopefully back on the rd (again) soon!!

Latest posts

Back