2.1 Zetec Turbo - The Yella' Fella' (Videos and Dyno pg7)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sure thing! Well it will be at the Racing Puma 15th Anniversary Meet on the 16th May, will also be at TRAX and Ford Fair this year too.

No it will be a mug of tea at your gaff and you taking me for a good spin... lol..

Oeff, I have to go to Ford Fair because of this Puma! Would be really interesting to see this (once it's ready) beast in real life :p

Good luck with the rest of the project, Looking forward to pictures :eek:k:

That's the inlet I've planned to get in the year of never because it's soooo expensive!!

It's one of the best around for the zetec. Exactly the same orientation I want too.

Haha yes it is a bit on the expensive side but should work wonders for the efficiency of the engine! Thanks for all the nice comments guys, look forward to seeing you all at the various shows and meets throughout the year and finding out your views on the car.

Wow dude, that inlet plenum looks epic, im really looking forward to seeing this thing come together, should be some machine when done!

Time for an update? Yes, I think so too.

Last week was half term so my son and Chris set about starting work on the car again. Not too much going on last week, Chris fabricated some beautifully engineered engine mounts so the engine can sit in its new home and my son was doing some prep work on the engine bay and interior of the car.

Fantastic shot here of the engine mount, the beautiful Jenvey turbo plenum and the equally beautiful Peron exhaust manifold!

Dan done some pretty cool prep work on the fuel tank too.

The uprated fuel pump is in already too, looking good under there now.

Other than that, not too much to report. Parts have been ordered, a massive radiator is on its way along with an intercooler too. Had a bit of a change with the turbo - YET AGAIN - we had been planning on using a GTX2867R since about October however only got round to ordering it on Monday. When we spoke to Owen Developments, they said it wouldn't be available until the end of March!! That was a big no no so had to change the plans again. Now we have ordered a GTX3067R turbo, not too dissimilar to the 28 but obviously bigger so means more power available in the future if we decide RWD or maybe even 4WD - but that's a few years down the line yet.

Hopefully some more updates soon guys.

Looking very nice, it's coming along nicely. What size turbine housing are you going for? I have the GT3076 but have a tiny turbine housing to help it spool, hhowever I'm thinking of swapping for a V-band.

All I know right now is its .64 A/R, I'll be able to have a better look tomorrow. And yes we've got the TiAL stainless housing which is all V Band, can't wait to get my hands on it!

So we had a nice little delivery during the week!

Inside I found a rather special looking GTX3067R turbo :twisted:

And along with it, came the MV-S external wastegate.

Took it into Lightning Motorsport yesterday and they test fitted it for us so we could take a couple of snaps. The compressor housing has to be rotated yet.

During last week, Chris also took delivery of the intercooler and radiator too.

Yes it is very nice and things are slowly but surely starting to progress now.

Haha yes its a TiAL GT30 stainless steel housing with .64 A/R!

I'm also not too sure what radiator it is but I will endeavour to ask and find out.

Should have updated this about a couple of weeks ago when I received these pictures but hey ho.

Intercooler is fitter along with the radiator now. The downpipe has been fitted and we have decided against having a screamer pipe now, so the wastage just needs to be plumbed back into the downpipe. All other pipework is underway as far as I am aware. Still a long old way to go yet: brakes all round, coilers to be fitted, pedal box to be fitted and connected, exhaust system, engine pay repaint, driveshafts...

A never ending list! Some bad news though, we have decided against fitting an FRP bodykit, purely because its so bloody expensive for everything that we need to do! I did buy one from Kizza (fibrebuild) and it was total sh*t, waste of my money, time and effort and now I'm stuck with it. Disappointed that we're not doing the FRP conversion at this moment in time, but that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future! My son has it in his mind that this car is his in a few years down the road and he has already drew up plans for a 600bhp 4WD conversion.. But we're still going to fit spacers to it and an FRP front splitter.

Costs involved in an FRP kit:
- Steel rear quarters - £820 for both
- Fiberglass front and rear bumpers and front wings from Pumaspeed - around £700
- Front hubs and knuckles complete - £900 for both from Pumabuild
- FRP Track rods - pumabuild £120
- FRP wishbones - £100 from Chris
- Full body respray - £1000-1200

TOTAL: around £4000...

So when you're out next, look out for a casual Millennium Puma!!

Shame about not being able to make it wide, could you not buy the whole GRP kit from Pumaspeed instead of using the quarters.. that's bring the cost down a bit!

The engine looks to be coming along nicely at least!

Well the reason why going for steel rear quarters is because the fibreglass quarters and the steel underneath will expand and contract at different rates and therefore the quarters are likely to move and crack at the seam due to different expansion rates.

Popped in to see Chris today. Got the gear linkage all connected up now. We're having to use the Mk1 RS centre console and gearstick which does look pretty nice. The engine and gearbox will be out in the next couple of days to be painted and built up final. The engine bay will be painted, and all of the plastics will be painted gloss black too. Should start to see some more progress over the coming week.

Latest posts

Back