`Epic` Cadwell Fail

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublustu

Yesterday, I was booked on a trackday at Cadwell.

I was meeting my usual trackday gang and Aaron86 was there too for good measure..
I set off weds afternoon in my transit with the car on a trailer I`d foolishly bought off the lesser spotted Kizza a few months back.

I drove across the pennines and as far as Grimsby without any issues ,stopped in the famous fishy town for fuel and set off again with 20 miles to go (I was at the back of our convoy.)
Just outside Grimsby my O/S front wheelbearing on the van started making the most horrible noise. I pulled in and found the hub was actually loose! Now a sensible bloke would have stopped and found an auto-factors there and then.
But thats a sensible bloke. I just tightened up the offending bearing and tried to `limp` to Cadwell.
Idiot...

The bearing exploded with style about half way between Grimsby and Cadwell (10 miles from each) leaving me stranded by the roadside with a wheel literally hanging off.
I thought "How the f... am I gonna sort this one..?"
So unable to move the van with a car on the back on a dodgy trailer in a spot with the worst phone signal in the country, I cleared space in the van and decided to sit tight till morning.

The weather first thing was terrible and with the awful phone signal it took me a couple of hours to sort a taxi back to Grimsby to EuroCarParts to get a new bearing and brake disc (snapped when the wheel tried to escape) and was back for 11:00 o`clock,
Just then, the weather lifted and it took me just an hour and a half to swap the bearing and disc, and get back on the road.
So at 12:45 when I drove off I was thinking the afternoon session at Cadwell was gonna happen.
Idiot...

As I neared Cadwell, I noticed a `Jam-Butty` a couple of cars back, my mate was there too, he had popped out too see where I`d got to and had seen this copper spin round and go haring off after me (might have wanted a word about my night on the A16 verge.) This was the cue for one of the trailer wheels to lock up, snap off and fly off into a field. There were blues and twos almost immediately and I found myself a mile from Cadwell being very nice to two policemen promising that the car was coming straight off the trailer and I`d get it to Cadwell on someone elses trailer.

I got to the track and had to start the whole "How the F... am I gonna sort this" once again.
The trailer had lost a hub and was not going anywhere with a car on.
So I really had to get creative as I was 135 miles from home!

I found a scrap metal bloke in Grimsby, took the trailer to him and gave it him to crush.
Then got back to Cadwell, dug the A-frame out and sneaked home under cover of darkness..

So, the car got to drive around the Paddock at Cadwell and the bill for the whole trip is astronomical. But I got back safe and sound, and on time (I found myself saying "I got 4 days to get home" at one point.)

The car will need to go on the back burner for a while, I gottas give the van some serious attention. Oh yeah, and I need a proper trailer..

Curse of Cadwell?
I`d be surprised if anyone can beat this one..

:? that does not sound as though the trip went to plan at all! Glad you made it back!

Bloody hell and I thought I was having a bad week :(

chin up peeps it'll come right in the end :thumbs:

I`m quite proud that I manged to rescue the van without any help at all and a few hand tools
the trailer thing was a bit more frantic. (glad I had the A-frame)

In the last 2 weeks I`ve been burgled, had an epic breakdown and lost my trailer.
My luck has got to change at some point...

Jesus mate. If you didn't have bad luck you'd have none at all!

bloody hell Stu, definitely the Cadwell curse at work there. Glad you're safe and sound could have been worse and happened on the Motorway at speed,

Latest posts

Back