FRP 591, FRP replica, plus turbo conversion project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I think it's prob 8.5-9mm there is not much room, I would avoid heating it as it may crack! It wasn't too bad getting the bearings out, took me 10mins once I figured out I could poke a thin punch through the hole

Actually yes, it just dawned on me: I need just a small 9 mm adaptor and another 7,5 to go through to be hit with hammer.....

I thought of heat up to 100C max anyway, but it might not be needed this way.

Ta again!

Ok so I've hit a real problem, I took the car for 4 wheel alignment today and I had 2 problems the first was that they didn't have the alignment settings for the FRP (if anyone has them can they post it up e.g. Caster Camber and Toe of both front and rear) the second problem which TBH is a disaster and has ruined my day is that it turns out the rear beam I got from the scrap yard is bent, and I've already thrown my original beam away, so now I need to buy another one, get it powder coated, fitted and try again to get it tracked right because at the mo it drives like a bag of spanners, not a happy bunny :(

How much is it out? Can you try straightening it up? Or, perhaps, get a spacer machined to take that into account and have the wheel in good position, orientation and camber, caster etc?

Damn shame, after all the effort you put in...

I now have the alignment data, I just need a reasonable condition 'eye mount' rear beam if anyone has one?!

Wild E. Coyote said:
How much is it out? Can you try straightening it up? Or, perhaps, get a spacer machined to take that into account and have the wheel in good position, orientation and camber, caster etc?

It's not out by much but it's enough to make it feel weird, think il just replace it as the geometry on the rear dictates that of the front so I need to get it right :(

d170sam said:
I now have the alignment data, I just need a reasonable condition 'eye mount' rear beam if anyone has one?!
It's a shame you're so far away Sam. I have one on a standard 1.7 that I'm breaking. It's a bit crusty but straight.
Paul

d170sam said:
Wild E. Coyote said:

It's not out by much but it's enough to make it feel weird, think il just replace it as the geometry on the rear dictates that of the front so I need to get it right :(

If you know the state of your geometry now, and have data how it should be, you can rather easily get made the rear spacers from solid to compensate for the current situation. Of course, you'd need to trace then which is left and which is right but t can be done.
I am toying with the same idea to close rear castor a bit and also add some camber as well to see if that would make rear less happy to step aside

Yes that is true, I'm just worried that the spring characteristics of a bent beam may lead to unpredictable handling, I think I may have sourced a good beam at a good price not too far from me, so I think il give it a go and keep you posted

little update, car is all painted and looking shiny, should be getting another beam this weekend, also got my aeroquip hoses and fittings for the turbo's water supply

18201212185_24fe11d26e_z.jpg

17580603223_0204f1d9a8_z.jpg

17578598704_097ba69895_z.jpg

18013341578_c88c5aa12f_z.jpg

17580597263_be8aa594d2_z.jpg

18014994689_d6c07f0b12_z.jpg

Looking good. :eek:k: Would look even better on the stand at Ford Fair, or even Trax. :pose2:

Latest posts

Back