Puma 4x4 Cosworth

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trublustu said:
Those wing bolts are a pain in the proverbial.
They are about an inch longer than they need to be and the thread can get really weathered. (as yours have)
I`m sizing up some Dzus fasteners to take the hassle out of whipping the bumper off.

It`s nice to work on a clean motor isn`t it..

It needs something better than just mild steel bolts that's for sure, but at the moment I'm still unsure what.

Isn't it just.. I'll post more pictures up as to how much I have cleaned but working on the car now I barely get dirty in comparison to what it was like in the beginning.

very impressive indeed..
Why didn't ford build the puma like that from the get go... lol...

Great attention to detail. Systematically going through wearable parts you will be left with a somewhat 'reliable' toy.

I'm sure you will but have a blast!

Best of luck and continue with the excellent workmanship throughout.

Cheers

Ally

It's a worrying testament to the "bodge everything" ethos of Pumaspeed that Warren spent so long fixing things on this car, and you're still finding things that were bodged.

And people wonder where Pumaspeed's reputation comes from. :roll:

Update on progress so far..

This is the washer bottle that doesn't hold fluid.. So not much use. It is a mess of cut up bottles and bits and needs addressing at some point soon!

Decided to change the side repeaters, the ones fitted had loads of excess cable left bundled up and wanted a more factory look so set about fitting the standard items.

Holes ready to be cored

New lights fitted with the correct wiring loom and plugs

Looked into the anti-lag wiring and it seemed very messy, although fun to use for now I decided to remove the wiring. The anti lag also meant the idle valve didn't work properly and the cold idle was awful, so I also looked into the idle valve..

Found the valve to be butchered so set about replacing it

New valve fitted.. Turned out it was easier to remove the throttle body housing as one of the threads on the housing had been stripped.. So decide to nut and bolt through. Later realised this wasn't the best idea as it's impossible really to remove the valve on the car so repaired the thirds with helicoils.

Whilst it was off I noticed fuel lying in the intake elbow.. Shows how badly the car is over fuelling.. So soon looked to getting the management changed.

And cleaned

Then turned my attentions back to the front driveshafts and bought these

These are the extended GGR shafts and are designed to stop the front shafts pulling out when the car is lowered so they should be a good replacement for the current worn items

Fitting

With these fitted thought it was time for a drive again.. Lots had been apart and it was more of a test drive to make sure everything was working as it should.. Except this happened

Inner CV joint popped out on the passenger side.. Great. So something wasn't right. FIVE HOURS later I finally got picked up by the RAC!!!

So back to the garage and wait for another day to find out why this had happened.

That's it for now.. More to come soon.

Thanks for looking.

OMG! I am really bowing to your efforts! Won't ask about the budget for this project as you are replacing everything that needs replacing, so can only hope you have a good source of replacement parts at very good prices!

But, very interesting read and keep up taking photos!

Scary that theres more bodges I didnt know about on the car! That flywheel was replaced by the same garage who did the clutch who supposedly knew what they were doing with cossies!! The old one was scored to fuck. Surprised they fitted one with a bodged bolt like that. Maybe the poor fitting is why the release bearing got wrecked so quick as it was a new AP bearing!

I always suspected the front shafts might have been extended but pumaspeed claimed they were from an xr4x4 but clearly not! Would make sense why they modified the front TCA's like that as they have in effect then widened the track. Would also explain why they moved the turrets at the front compared to the position in the early photos of the bare shell I gave you. I guess once widened they needed to correct the excessive camber.

I would suggest somewhere like shaftec to build custom shafts. A friend had custom shafts done there before. Use the GGR CV's though as its then all standard cossie which makes replacement simpler in future.

That is a lot of fuel!! Grey injectors always have a bad reputation for overfuelling lower down compared to more modern injectors. A lot of people go with the modern seimens stuff but still on cossie management. The P8 is more than capable of running modern injectors in a closed loop fueling to give good idle and off boost cruise.

With antilag run that way, there is no idle control other than the throttle screw. The idle speed control valve is modified to become an antilag valve. I believe they are opened out a bit to allow more air to flow than normal. With no idle control valve it was always comedy trying to get it to idle. I just tended to accept a shit idle when cold so that once warmed up the base idle wasnt too high as otherwise setting base idle for when cold meant it idled at a high level when warm. Catch 22. Anti-lag is a bit of toy on the road really so refitting the idle control valve is probably the sensible choice!!

Wild E. Coyote said:
OMG! I am really bowing to your efforts! Won't ask about the budget for this project as you are replacing everything that needs replacing, so can only hope you have a good source of replacement parts at very good prices!

But, very interesting read and keep up taking photos!

It is hurting the wallet! I never expected to be spending so much so quickly just to iron out all the problems.. But it's starting to get there now!

Will keep the photos coming!

warrenpenalver said:
Scary that theres more bodges I didnt know about on the car! That flywheel was replaced by the same garage who did the clutch who supposedly knew what they were doing with cossies!! The old one was scored to f__k. Surprised they fitted one with a bodged bolt like that. Maybe the poor fitting is why the release bearing got wrecked so quick as it was a new AP bearing!

I always suspected the front shafts might have been extended but pumaspeed claimed they were from an xr4x4 but clearly not! Would make sense why they modified the front TCA's like that as they have in effect then widened the track. Would also explain why they moved the turrets at the front compared to the position in the early photos of the bare shell I gave you. I guess once widened they needed to correct the excessive camber.

I would suggest somewhere like shaftec to build custom shafts. A friend had custom shafts done there before. Use the GGR CV's though as its then all standard cossie which makes replacement simpler in future.

That is a lot of fuel!! Grey injectors always have a bad reputation for overfuelling lower down compared to more modern injectors. A lot of people go with the modern seimens stuff but still on cossie management. The P8 is more than capable of running modern injectors in a closed loop fueling to give good idle and off boost cruise.

With antilag run that way, there is no idle control other than the throttle screw. The idle speed control valve is modified to become an antilag valve. I believe they are opened out a bit to allow more air to flow than normal. With no idle control valve it was always comedy trying to get it to idle. I just tended to accept a shit idle when cold so that once warmed up the base idle wasnt too high as otherwise setting base idle for when cold meant it idled at a high level when warm. Catch 22. Anti-lag is a bit of toy on the road really so refitting the idle control valve is probably the sensible choice!!

Hi Warren,

I know its worrying how one car can have so many. The bearing was really stiff when I got it out. It's like it had totally rotted so not sure how it happened!

The shafts might have been from an xr4x4 originally but one has definitely been extended and the other I can't quite figure out. I have better photos of them and will get them posted up soon. Yes the early photos show the turrets in a narrower position to what they are now so they must have made them wider. As you say the TCAs have been modified and also the steering rack has extensions on either side. So as you say in doing so they have extended the shafts to suit. Down thing I found out the hard way!

Eventually I will revisit the shafts again, I'll post soon what I did but the up shot of it was I replaced the inner joints with the GGR items and fitted the original shafts back. So far all has been well.. Or near enough.

Yes the grey injectors are great for big power and fuel what you need but off boost they are a little heavy. The P8 in its current form can't change the duty cycle on the injectors and this is the cause for the large injector and over fuelling. I have now moved the car into different management and it's a totally different drive, and the fuel economy is so much better even being on boost a fair bit!

The anti-lag is a fun toy to have, and to be honest I don't think it's the last time it will be fitted. Eventually I think I'll put a system back on but use another bypass valve so that I can have full idle control under normal conditions.

I have loads of photos of stages that I've done but haven't shown yet, all things going well I'll be taking the car to ford fair this weekend so a little more of the work can be seen there all be it some of it in a temporary state!

So long overdue an update, having made one of the best journeys in the car to ford fair and back I thought I'd try and start to bring this thread up to date to show the work that was done to get me there. There is a fair bit so I'll get started with this small update.

After the new shaft popped out I went back and had a better look at the setup on the front. Noticed that it has been widened after the initial fabrication work and also wider than a standard cosworth

So a better look into the old shafts revealed they were much longer to fit he cars alterations and needed to be fitted back for the time being. So new CV's were bought and fitted to the old shafts and once repaired fitted back to the car

Once the driveshafts were sorted I turned my attentions to the rear brake callipers, the handbrake simply did not work. You applied it on flat ground and you could easily push the car by leaning on it!! So I set about taking the rear callipers apart to find out what was wrong

The strip down

The problem part, this is the spindle that turns to push the piston out when the handbrake is applied, completely seized so no wonder it wasn't working. It was like this on both sides!

The calliper in bits

One of the callipers built back up, this time we'll greased so hopefully it won't seize again anytime soon.

The car was then back in one bit and brought out of the garage

That's all for now, thanks for looking will get more photos up soon.

red said:
Cosmetically it is crying out for a new front splitter :grin:

It is, and it's on the 'to do' list. I'm looking into using a carbon fibre foam board and using the old as a template. But unfortunately for now I need to put funds towards fixing other more pressing issues!

Wow! those calipers were fitted back in 2010 so a lot of corrosion in that time! I suspect the car standing was all it needed to seize up properly. Ironically those calipers were fitted as replacements for calipers that had seized in the same way!

warrenpenalver said:
Wow! those calipers were fitted back in 2010 so a lot of corrosion in that time! I suspect the car standing was all it needed to seize up properly. Ironically those calipers were fitted as replacements for calipers that had seized in the same way!

Yeah it doesn't take much it seems. It was an effort to get the lever pins out!! At some point I'll revisit them and refurb them but for now it's on to the next thing.

So on to another update.. I didn't drive the car between the last stage and this one as I was starting to get fed up with the fact it was still leaking oil everywhere. So made the decision to get the front of the engine stripped down and change some of the suspect engine seals

Back in the workshop

Strip down - intercooler out and rad although I don't have any photos of that

And so onto the engine strip down and you can see just how bad the leaks have been and for how long.. This has been like this for years

All the parts off the front to get cleaned - simply using white spirit and a toothbrush and then an airline to get the gunk out of all the little crevices!

All cleaned and going back together - hopefully you can see the difference!!

You can see the power steering return hose here, the stainless piping just jubilee clipped onto the old solid pipe - eventually I want to change the whole system to aeroquip

New parts to be fitted

New seals fitted

Noticed while everything was out that there were two exhaust manifold studs missing so set about finding out why which came down to the threads were stripped and once removed a third was also barely there - so set about getting the threads repaired and new studs fitted

Whilst off I cleaned the side of the head and block

Manifold bolted back up with all its studs and nuts this time

Fitted a new water pump feed hose - couldn't use a hose finisher as it was too close to the pump housing so used some heat shrink to neatly finish the hose

New belts fitted and things coming back together

While I had the chance I secured all the loose pipes properly at the front. Much neater now, although the power steering pipes still need some attention at a later date

All back together for now and off on a test drive..

More to come soon - thanks for looking

Latest posts

Back