project puma mk2 1.7 melina blue

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi i have just done my front brake conversion. things you will need:
:ford fiesta st rs turbo st200 300mm brake caliper conversion £50 off ebay:
:ford focus st170 300mm discs:£22.00 off ebay reduced from £66.00
:drill 12mm:for hub
:13mm socket:for old brake bolts
:15mm socket:for new brake bolts
:14mm spanner for the new caliper pipe to undo:
:10 or 11mm spanner for the origonal pipe to undo:
:hacksaw and file:to cut couple of mill off new bolts lenth
:clingfilm:(cover the top of the brake fluid resivoir to form a vackum and stop loosing fluid when swapping the calipers over)
first get the 4 nuts (come with caliper)and cut a couple of mill off as otherwise they stick out the back and leave little clearance for the disc.
first this is the caliper when i bought it

then i cleaned them up and painted them purple

and this is my wheels with the old caliper and discs on

then i took the wheels off

and got my 13mm socket and breaker bar on the 2 nuts

then i got my drill ready with a 12mm drill bit

and drilled the hole on the hub to 12mm at the top using wd40 as a coolant when drilling

and then the bottom hole

then i connected the brake line back on by holding the pipe straight and spinning the caliper on then hanging the caliper on a bungey tighten the pipe

then slip the new disc on

then bolt the caliper on (15mm) and use threadlock on the tip i done mine up as tight as poss as dont know the tourque settings and dont have a tourque whrench.

then bleed the system.
then front wheel are put back on

new discs verses old

old calipers verses new

old setup

verses new

now i just have to bed them in. As soon as i braked could feel the stopping power so much better i did have a judder under bracking before with old setup had put it down to the disc on the drivers side was warped and it was as now its super smooth.

hope this helpe anyone out if they are interested in doing a front brake upgrade its worth it.
turned out cheaper to do this than get new standered pads and discs.

jason
:pose2: :eek:k:

car booked in for cambelt change next week
today 01/10/2015 took my puma to the garage to have a new cambelt kit and water pump fitted cost me £248.40. It looks like it hadnt been done since car was new it now has 98630 miles on it. before i had the cambelt done i was experiancing like a electrical rattling sound from front drivers side of the engine could not find the fault but it must have been something to do with the cambelt or pully as now no sound at all. so i think i had the cambelt kit fitted just in time.

jason
:pose2: :eek:k:

hi i had another piece come for my puma they are the front anti roll bar drop links as mine were pretty messy cost £9.06 not bad price.
here they are below and how to fit them.

and one unwrapped

below is the old drop link and you can see the clip what attaches the abs cable this just unclips

then you need to jack up the susspension to gain better access to the bottom nut

then you can see the bottom nut has better access

now you need a 17mm socket or a 17mm spanner to undo the nut

and onto the top nut you will need one 17mm spanner and a 6mm allen key or if you got one a air socket set

now just pull old one out push new in and tighten and add the clip for the abs (i painted this purple)

new one from a different angle

and the bottom where it joins the roll bar

and my painted abs clip

below is a picture of the old anti roll bar drop link showing how to use a 17mm spanner and a 6mm allen key to undo it

Hi Jason
Just a small point. If you've increased the size of your front discs you might want to have a look at the bracket off the strut that holds the flexi hose as it might be in the wrong place now and be straining the flexi hose as effectively the caliper has moved out 20-30mm (depending on whether you had 240 or 260mm discs). Also if you check the car on full lock with the wheels off you might find that grinding the heads off one of the carpet torx screws will stop it catching on full lock.
Hope that helps :)
Barry

onto the next upgade even if its just for looks
had some purple brake caliper paint left after doing my front brake upgrade. So i thought i would paint my drums.
first jack car up and remove wheel
then i got my drill out with a sanding disc attached and removed any rust back to metal

then painted them purple looking good

showing drum

then i greased the back of the wheels where they contact the drums to stop them sticking and when paint was dry put wheels back on
still waiting for photos forgot to take at the time

hi my next upgrade is the rear susspension bushes they turned up today and hopefully be fitting the tommorrow i have got stuck here at the moment undone passenger side took bolt out coulnt shift the old on out 15 years of rust is like weld. will try again soon drill all the old one out and saw the remainder just got to have the time and weather for it.

i have under sealed the four wheel arches heres the front

more photots to follow will also be doing the whole of the chassis
jason

:thumbs: :eek:k:

cant waste any more of these tescos bags now they have started charging lol

hi all as you all will know about the parcel shelf problem of it keeps coming out of its runners,some people have used cloths pegs ect but i have worked out a permenant fix all you will need is your parcel shelf and a hot glue gun avalible from ebay for
£4.50 its called babz glue gun it is a very easy fix.

first heat up the glue gun

then wrap the insides of the stopers with hot glue so its as big as the tip.

then tidyly wrap it round the inside so it looks like below

and below the finished parcel shelf

then just put it back in your puma dont worry about the looks its un noticeable and if you dont like it or get it wrong you can cut the glue back off. now your parcel shelf shouldnt rattle and it is fully operational if you think its to loose just add extra glue until your happy and any lumps you have can be cut with a craft knife. i hope this helps people out also when you open the boot now it doesnt slide out like mine used to.

Jason

:thumbs: :pose2: :eek:k:

great post demonskull,

few questions please mate to ask, 1, where did you wire ka boot release catch into and how did you do it ? 2, neons around grill, where did you buy from and where have you wired them too and are they on a switch or come on with lights ? 3, what heat resistant spray did you use for engine bay cover and calipers ? 4, I'm thinking off putting a tv not a sub in my boot, where would you wire too or put a converter into ?
5, what mil ply did you use and size timber ?

sorry about questions mark

right Marco.da.man the boot button ka switch i have put in i got the info of wild e coyoto and theres a link below
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=26486&p=345381&hilit=ford+ka+boot+switch#p345381
the neons round the grill are off ebay and when you indicate flash orange the white part of leds is wired to the side light while the indicator is wired to the idicator they cost £9.00 but the neons can go so every so often have to replace mainly in the winter
the engine cover spray was just standered purple whilst the calipers are little tins off ebay that cost £10 and youll have enough for all the calipers and drums. hope this helps you

Jason

:p :thumbs: :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back