2.1 Zetec Turbo - The Yella' Fella' (Videos and Dyno pg7)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be due to mapping, we have noticed the car running very rich and everytime it starts up there is an awful lot of unburnt furl that decides to scatter itself across the driveway.. I would like to know the cause too but if Chris is unsure of what had caused it then what else am I to do?

I have run the car on track once and that was at Ford Fair, albeit the car was still being run in and was limited to safe points within an inch of its life. The car was fine on the journey there and back too so I doubt its anything to do with that? I have run the car myself in low boost map as my daily for a few weeks and performed beautifully, love driving it! Such an experience and atmosphere with the car whenever its on the road. I doubt this has had any major effect on the piston? I guess time will tell.

I'm hoping these videos are going to work in the way that I intended! As promised, here are some videos of my 2 son's having a play on the car on a private road. Wind noise may be an issue and I believe there may be a naughty word or two in one of the videos!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywh7bZdcMcM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13-H5ZXtnM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOHKWhRjSmo[/youtube]

I'm having trouble embedding these videos, would somebody tell me how to do it please? Thanks :eek:k:

Cracked it now, hope you all enjoy :grin:

Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad you like it, I know it puts a smile on my face everytime I step in it

I want a Dad like you... lol..
Great stuff mate..
Must of broke your heart when you found the cracked slug..

Thanks for the comments!

It did indeed break my heart, I just want the thing back now!!! It's had a lot of teething issues since we got him back before Ford Fair, constant issues with the running of the car and as I said it's clearly over fuelling big time I just want all these sorted so I can get out on the road and enjoy the car.

Mapping is a big part - you can build the best setup in the world but if the mapping is off, the engine life will be reduced or the chances of parts failing will be much higher.

Also, the longer a tuner spends mapping, the better it will be (or should be, obviously).

I think in your case Dave, if you know it's running rich then there would have been a chance of bore wash whilst running in and the mileage afterwards - but not saying that any of this is necessarily why it's failed. There's also a chance the parts could have failed, of course.

You mention about your intercooler - both Errol and I have had that one and without being rude, it's poo. At those kind of horses I bet your intake temps are up around 50 degrees plus. Which in turn might be why the graph (370hp) waves whereas lower down (300hp) it's nice and smooth. It could be the high intake temps that's caused the piston to fail. My advice on this, fit the biggest one you possibly can - with your blower you won't notice any extra lag. You want to get your intake temps as close to ambient as possible.

I've always found that finding and trusting tuners is difficult.

Unfortunately these sorts of cars tend to have a lot of teething problems - I'm still ironing out/improving some of mine from 3 years ago.

You'll get there I'm sure :)

Hi Guys,
Wishing you all a Very Happy New Year
After a nice Xmas break, Chris is now in the process of putting my engine back together, with the new parts having been purchased and delivered.
Will be picking it up in a couple of weeks from Lightning Motorsport. Then it will be a bit of time spent running it in again and then getting Chris to manufacture a nice new 3" down pipe and fit the biggest inter cooler we can fit !!!

All the best for 2016, looking forward to Ford Fair again this year. See you there or maybe before

Dave

Well not been on here for awhile as the car has still had a huge amount of issues
Car came back with 4 leaks
Drive shaft seal damaged on gearbox :roll: :roll: was not damaged before ?
Thermostat housing :roll: Fixed back with silicone ?
Cam cover gasket re used and leaking Why not fit a new one ?
Then and this is the piss take Leak from sump since day one Turns out it needs a new ladder frame To those that don't know It's the top section of the sump
Cracked and chipped ? Leaking
Can someone on here tell me what I paid Little Man Syndrome all that money for ????
Wouldn't trust him to service my roller skates as even that would be way out of his league :p
Now with someone who seriously knows what they are doing So when that bill comes in I will be passing it on for a refund !! :grin:
What goes round comes round !!

Some bits are sorted now, car still doesn't run very well so need to look into it further to see what is the cause of the rough running. There are a few little bits that I want to get sorted too like get the speedo sorted out.

The majority of the oil leaks are all sorted now which is a positive.

Also, just testing the water here and thinking aloud.. How much does the community of Project Puma think this car would be worth resale?

But just had so many issues with the car I feel like I haven't been able to enjoy it at all in the last 2 years.. And the Mk3 RS is absolutely mental.

Like I said only testing the water here!! :eek:k:

How are you anyway mate haven't heard from you in a while? Hope things are well.

It would be a big mistake to sell this car, you have put so much time, money, & effort into it, it's just the niggles that you need to sort now. I'll sort your reverse light and speedo, don't worry about those.

And my opinion may be way off, but I really couldn't see anyone paying even half of what that car has cost to build. I have never seen a puma with that level of mods for sale, but there was a mental FRP with a similar set up, but had a sequential gearbox with roll cage and alloy tank in the boot, I'm sure that was up for £12k, might have been a bit less.

Yup, sad to say, they just aren't worth anywhere near what we put into them. I reckon I'd be lucky to get £10k for mine after engine is back.

Not sure if you are, but if you're still struggling with a safe haven for your car why not try Torque Developements in Thurrock, they aren't that far from you are they? It's where I've been going for the past 5-6 years. They will definitely be able to sort your running issues provided all hardware is ok.

Don't give up on it. I'll tell you now your Puma is faster than a Mk3 RS once moving.

We have managed to fix the reversing light, just the speedo to go now. Get it all running right and then I think I will finally be able to enjoy it.. Been away from the fast ford scene for so long and barely driven the car since ford fair last year its just so demoralising but I guess the end is in sight! You guys have put me back in my place which is why I posted the question in the first place, I don't want to sell the Yella Fella, far too much history with it and far too many plans for it in the future!

We have now found a mechanic who lives near us who has sorted the car out, would rather not say who but we are incredibly happy with the level of communication and the quality of work carried out so far. With regards to mapping, it will still go back to Redline Tuning as have had no issues with them whatsoever and Rich knows his stuff. Thanks for the recommendation anyway!

Sequential gearbox sounds interesting..

Latest posts

Back