Mr Fox's Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trublustu said:
Nice.
That`s some number of clips though...

14 in total. I've been lucky and found a guy on the bay who sell 5 packs of different sizes+free delivery and so happens 3 different size packs covers the whole range I need with only 1 spare, so £9 job done :)

Was quite pleased my Rolling Road results today; best run - 138.4 bhp (at wheels)

Made me review my target bhp/ton at the start of the build, if I get weight down to 920'ish kg (which shouldn't be 'far' off) then I've hit my upper target of 150 bhp/ton. Interesting to look at similar cars which have this same ratio as standard:

Honda Civic 2.0i VTEC Type R - [2011]
Jaguar XF 3.0D S - [2011]
Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20v Turbo - [2007]
BMW 3 Series 330ci E46 - [2006]
Pontiac G6 GTP 3.9 V6 - [2006]
Land-Rover Range Rover Sport 4.2 V8 Supercharged - [2005]
Alfa-Romeo 164 3.0 V6 Quadrifoglio - [1993]
VW Golf 2.8 VR6 - [1991]
Mercedes 500SL V8 - [1985]
Ford Mustang Hardtop 4.7 V8 - [1965]

As for developments while I'm posting, I've got myself a new Anthracite OMP Lower Strut Brace (hopefully stop the knocking of my used dented one) a Neck Brace and have a Trolley Jack on order.

Well the aim was to have my lightweight bonnet fitted for the trackday tomorrow at Rockingham but unfortunately the damage has taken the bodyshop a little longer to repair than they first thought otherwise the other bits and bobs I wanted got finished:

Made up Passenger side Foamalux Door Card, Carbon Wrapped both, made new holes for switches and fixed handles

Repaired and Refitted central Heatshield with Stainless 40mm Penny Washers

Cleaned and refitted Rear Arch Carpets (6 bath fulls of black water!) and Treated with Waterproof Spray

Repainted Callipers and Drums

Fitted Full JS Performance Silicon Hose Kit and Samco Induction Hose with Stainless Hose fixings

Treated and Sprayed Rust Patches in Driver and Passenger wells

Fixed and Fitted Lower Front Grill

Fitted New 150mm Rectangular Air Ram

Fitted Rear Strut Brace (Cheers Ethan!)

Fitted New OMP Lower Front Brace (no more squeaking and rubbing!)

Fitted New HCV

Added some Puma Front Mats (Cheers Gary!)

Fitted New Flat Aero Wiper (19” + 17” so you don't get that annoying dip down the center in heavy rain)

Fitted Gearstick Extender and Clutch Rest

Some Decals here and there

Test fitted New Car Cover and Jet Washed

Annoyingly the ABS&TC Lights came on today so will ask steve to look into it then I get my bonnet fitted next Sat. Will get some photos of the car tomorrow and upload them on here

Had an awesome day on Sunday@Rockingham, so much so I forget about setting up my camera :roll:

Anyways you can see a R53 Cooper S chasing me down in the vid below from 3:00 - 4:30 where I lift off to let him pass (he does have 168 bhp as standard mind and 162 torque so was never going to be able to keep my distance)

Never see my car from behind but love how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1umYs4vGoc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I've got the GT circuit at Bedford tomorrow and this is how the puma's looking..

Recently had a MK6 Whiteline Anti-Roll Sway Bar Fitted (the brackets pretty much vertical both sides which is great! lot to do with such a small backbox steve told me) rear feels very stable and finally got round to fitting my Beemer Gurney Flap, £5 new off the bay! (didn't cover the whole boot but I knew that and don't mind) hopefully this counteracts any unwanted oversteer at speed, looking forward to testing both out together

Also mounted my HD camcorder with 3M adhesive and mounted a harness belt cutter and combi glass hammer just below the gearstick

Full Service and cleaned out my PiperX Air Filter also safety covered my upper rear brace, added a passenger door basket thingee and cut out speaker holes and added some stainless mesh sprayed black.

IMAG0507_zpsadlpo4sh.jpg

IMAG0503_zpsarpvdpzy.jpg

IMAG0504_zpsezkzhfe8.jpg

IMAG0505_zpsepwtpfxk.jpg

IMAG0497_zpsadviyg7w.jpg

IMAG0500_zpsxw8ljjot.jpg

IMAG0501_zpspwp5dlrz.jpg

IMAG0502_zpsle0fgnfk.jpg

IMAG0508_zps5tdusaqr.jpg

I could never really gauge when the back was gona give way before and it never felt well connected but now I feel like I'll be able to and push it round corners a lot faster so hopefully more fun with controlled slides

The trouble I am having is if I am in the corner of defined radius and the car's suspension is already loaded and I have to add some steering angle (i.e. tighten the radius) the reat end steps out on the very same moment. The car starts sliding and the speed is gone. So I am after a cure for such behaviour.....

trublustu said:
All the best at Bedford

Had a blast! cheers mate. Love the rear sway bar just homed true what I thought about it on the road, made you just want to push harder through every bend. Friendly bunch on the day considering I turned up on my jack, talking abouts 'jacks' I lent a group of fellas mine as theirs wouldn't fit under their VX220 and got a cup of tea in return :) did about 150 miles, there was only one red flag for the day but went on for at least 45 mins. Stuck a little vid up in the 2015 trackday meets thread (not of the 45min wait mind, lol)

Got some time today to play about and I had some universal canards under the stairs for some time so CF wrapped them and added edge trim.

IMAG0296_zpspkueqk5o.jpg

I've put up with a gap in the top of the rear struts for ages making a racket so took some measurements and begun nosing around at what just might work, turns out a £2.50 rough rubber small dog chew toy was just right, lol! (after halving it)

DSC_0884_zpsyufmlfqt.jpg

I didn't like the exposed wiring/piping inside the car especially as I make good use of the fact I can lug large items around in the back so started to cover/protect them with some lengths of cheap silver split conduit.

DSC_0897_zpsjmzkvlhl.jpg

DSC_0898_zpsfxzndje3.jpg

Get loads of condensation and after leaving it for about 4/5 weeks thick mould had takenover the steering wheel, eww, so saw this dehumidifier in tesco's which you simply bung in the microwave for 5 mins to reset it (same as I had seen on amazon and cheaper too)

DSC_0900_zpsuebvxu6s.jpg

Finally I've been thinking for a while its not ideal running 3mm spacers with my clown/circus wheels (to clear my ST150's) and no matter how much lacquer I built up it seemed to disappear over time and brake dust would stick like holy feck.

Spied a 'collection only' auction close to me for a set of 195/50/15 ford alloys 7J ET35 on gg r888's (3-4mm) which had just been professional refurb'd and newly balanced, my only real concern was clearance and weight. Could tell the guy was hacked that they went for such a low price (but he did state in the description someone would get a bargain!)

Weighed one, 16kg with tyre (not bad when the toyo's are 9kg's new) with the weights ok just needed to test fit, thankfully they clear fine and also no rubbing on full lock. They're mint so just a wipe down and coat of Nattys wax to help them along.

DSC_0877_zpszbzpisza.jpg

IMAG0302_zpsg8aja9ar.jpg

IMAG0280_zpsroognmcq.jpg

IMAG0295_zpsuynq20nt.jpg

Loving the orange wheels with the silver body so much I want to do the mirrors, door handles and corners of front bumper a similar orange, I seen this combination a few times on the cup cars and its not over the top and will define the car more as a track car. I can't be bothered with the rubbing down, priming, painting and lacquering plus the cost of all the products , so I've decided to plasti dip them myself in blaze orange that way can always peel it all off if I change my mind and only £9 as I don't need to layer down white as it works well straight from silver.

Cars going to performancepuma next weekend for its usual pre track day service and some other planned mods and spray work will be complete last week of Feb, also be painting the interior with rustoleum steel grey combicolour. Will update again weekend after next.

Orange seems to be the new black! I'd have to say that it looks really really good and I have been toying to find some orange alloys for my Puma as well. However mine being a more road focused I went for the standard black, don't want to draw any unwanted attention :-D

So was planning on taking the car today but turns out the batteries lost too much charge, fetched some leads and fixed them up to the wifes KA but wasn't having any of it :-( guessing the engine sizes are too varied. I should of renewed my gem cover before November anyway so brought another years cover today and will get it sorted Monday

Should be just fine to jumpstart from a Ka, engine size won't make a difference too much. So long as you have the Ka engine running. If you can get someone to hold the KA engine rpm at about 2500-3000 that will help. If that doesn't work something else would be wrong.

That's what I thought, made sure connections were good and negative went to earth on the puma but no joy, cold wouldn't have helped, batt warning lights showing and no leaks or anything so pretty sure just needs a kick, perhaps the leads were duff. My old man said I can have his maypole charger as his never needed to use it. Tickle charge but will get us out of similar spots when no one else's around.

I managed to bump start a VW polo once for a lady where the battery got so flat the ignition lights faded. That happened because she let her kids use the radio for too long. Took a few goes but we got there in the end.

Let us know how you get on - it really should have started being hooked up to the Ka.

Latest posts

Back