My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too surprising with the amount of weight over them, are you running a brake bias value? if so could you play with that to get a bit more heat into them?

I'm not no. I do have one that I've been meaning to fit for ages but I've just never found the time to do it. I just tend to be quite aggressive with the steering to try and make the rear work harder to get some heat. its only really a problem on cold days.

Been a little while sine I last updated this so here goes...

I took a couple of days annual leave last week to sort a few jobs and to get the car ready for Cadwell Park on Sunday (yesterday) I made a new much tougher front splitter as the old started to wobble and flap at speeds over 110mph this one is now much stronger and secure.

I cured to the "warped" disc feel in the brake pedal as well, the front pads looked very glazed and the discs also had small pad deposits on them, this is probably due to the fact that they we're bedded in at Rockingham and heated up too quickly. I cleaned them up some sand paper and that cured that, I also changed the rear discs as they looked shot. Rear pads we're ok with plenty of meat left so they go re-used.

Anyway... Track day! Cadwell... what a place, I cant believe I left it 4 years before I went back. The car was on form it handled beautifully and felt so balanced through the quick and low speed stuff. Now... I need to address the issue of power. Coming out through charlies and onto the park straight I couldn't get much above 100mph so I am going to explore the possibility of fitting a 2.0 Fiesta ST lump under the bonnet.

The car didn't exactly survive the day either, a small-ish oil leak became a large one and a small-ish blow on the exhaust is now a big one... But its nothing I can't fix.

Few pictures from the day, videos to follow.

DSC_5653 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_5630 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_5607 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_5191 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_5159 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_5080 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_5079 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_4880 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_4864 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_4791 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_5106 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

Car looks fantastic..

ST engine isn't a bad choice, that or the ST170 as that has VCT which is something you'll be used to. Both engines respond very well to superchargers. I love turbo'd engines obviously but they're very expensive to get reliable on track I feel as they generate so much heat.

Very interested to see if you go ahead with it.

Cheers. Its something I've wanted to do ever since I bought the car 8 years ago. Being on track just highlights the lack of power, the car is great and a match for anything through the bends but I lose out so much on top end. Going up the hill along Park Straight the car wouldn't accelerate past about 105mph, A bit more grunt is now needed.

Even a standard ST150 or ST170 engine would be a massive gain.

I can't remember, is the ST150 engine a cast iron block?

If it isn't, that might sway it for you due to weight.

Both engines will bolt to an IB5 box also - the ST150 a little better.

However the ST170 comes with a 6 speed box that may be quite beneficial. I know that's been said to hold circa 400hp, the IB5 as we know is 250ish.

I have no idea if it is a cast iron block to be honest... I've done very little research on them.

The main reason for looking into this is because ive been offered a cheap engine!

ST150 engine is a duratec so should have known really, alloy block.

ST170, badged as a duratec but is really a zetec, cast iron block. Fiesta ST engine has inlet and exhaust same way as 1.7 puma so that may also sway your decision.

Or keep the current engine and stick a m62 eaton supercharger which you can get for 200-300 pounds? I think that with that setup you can see 200+bhp without a great cost.

siju said:
[post]352399[/post] Or keep the current engine and stick a m62 eaton supercharger which you can get for 200-300 pounds? I think that with that setup you can see 200+bhp without a great cost.

Not interested in messing about with the 1.7. Seen too many turbo/supercharged builds now and they dont really deliver much performance.

2.0 Duratec is 100% the way im going to do this.... Just need to get a few things in place.

Brian' said:
[post]352413[/post] Really interested in how you're going to approach this Jay! Keep us updated :-D

As always I will.

Its something thats been in my mind for a couple of years now but I've just been enjoying the car for what it is. Now though... my 1.7 leaks a lot of oil and is in need of a cambelt change. As much as love the little 1.7 unit I reckon the time is right for more power

You'll need to the tune the 2.0 and give it more punch as I'm not sure you'll be that impressed with only several more horses! But perhaps you've got that covered :cool:

moondustka said:
[post]352417[/post] You'll need to the tune the 2.0 and give it more punch as I'm not sure you'll be that impressed with only several more horses! But perhaps you've got that covered :cool:

More of everything is required I think. The car is starting to get a bit tired and the last 8 years abuse is starting to show so a freshen up all round is needed. My wife and me are currently looking at buying a bigger place with double garage so once that's all sorted and we're settled I'l be putting the car away for a little while and making sure it gets some much needed TLC.

I have quite a list and an ideal spec that I'd like to build it up to. Its basically just replacing everything for something better than I've already got.

As for the engine I think 300bhp is a healthy number to aim for, the main focus will be on drive ability. I've driven some badly converted boosted cars and you can't predict what they are going to do next.

Little update.

I didnt like the way my tow strap hung down at the back of the car with half the rear bumper removed, was browsing for a metal fixed one and then I thought... why buy when I can make one. So I had this knocked up at work. Made from a 2" washer and a piece of 5mm Steel, will be painted red or yellow and should look much better once fitted.

Untitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

moondustka said:
[post]352699[/post] Been nicely welded then?

Yeah done a really neat job with it. we made a test one and it lifted a 2 tonne gearbox without breaking so it should be perfectly good.

Latest posts

Back