Dedicated Track Car Progress Thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My second trackday of the year was at Oulton Park on Saturday, and the car ran great.
I drove 165 miles on the Island Circuit while the Shell Oils section gets some work done.

I must make special mention to our guest of honour, unofficial photographer and official cake maker.
Puma Babe joined us for the day.
Thanks for the photo`s Yvonne, great shots :)

The subtle tweeks I`ve made to the suspension seemed to work well.
No matter how hard I threw it into Cascades It refused to get out of shape.

Here`s a pic of the car cornering hard through lodge (taken from distance, hence the quality)

At this point I was doing 60ish and accelerating hard. looks pretty planted to me..

Now it wasn`t quite all plain sailing and my gear change is still giving me trouble.
Going for third is Russian Roulette with a gear stick. Oh for a low mileage box..
Also my tickover is now wild. I think it must be the Lambda. I tried unplugging it and it made no difference!

Here`s a video of a late morning session.
I give a few cars a lesson in driving then get to chase my mate in his Clio for a few laps before I get a good clear 4 or five laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlxdmQfvE6Q

I suppose I`d better own up to the biggest (if not fastest) off to date...

About 15 mins before the end I took Puma Babe out for one last session.
Now the Island circuit has a really hard hairpin at he end of the Lakeside Straight following Cascades.
You are braking hard from 90+mph to 35. And at five to five I locked up
big time.
It appears I had flat spotted a tyre and found the webbing..
I just didn`t slow down and we piled through the barrier going at least 50...
Straight into the mud.

Quite an end to the proceedings, sorry for nearly killing you Yvonne..

Somehow the damage is minimal.
It`s nice to have bodywork to do instead of mechanics lol

One mirror went walkabout and the splitter ripped off the bumper.
these are both simple fixes.
More seriously is that I took the barrier to the wndscreen and i now have a wopping crack..

I`m at my first sprint in three weeks and as the car is properly scrutineered I`ll need that sorting asap..

Oh yes and the lambda, gear linkage and tyres!..

Nothing wrong with a bit of harmless drama! Is the wing mirror reusable?

Hopefully you'll have free windscreen cover with your insurance :eek:k:

Love to be doing the sprint season with you please make sure its fully documented! :thumbs:

trublustu said:

I quite like that rear lip. Do you feel it creates some downforce (or negates the lift at speeds over 130 km/h at least?)?

Did you make it, or got it from somewhere? How is it attached? Can you post some detailed picture?

Also, the car looks strongly. How much have you lowered your car? What springs and shocks?

Ps: Sorry for the offroading experience, hope it won't be expensive fix(es)

The wing mirror is forever part of the Oulton Park outfield Neil.
It's a pity as I like my little panda ears. Never mind. I wont be needing wing mirrors for sprinting (no traffic!) I'll keep my eyes open for some new uns for trackdays.
No insurance as this is my track toy.
I got a bloke coming to fit me a screen on Thursday for £95. Which I less than a windscreen excess!

The lip spoiler came off ebay and is designed as a universal boot lid spoiler.
I had to order a custom length. Full details are in this thread.
I have also widened the rear track significantly and the rear end is super stable. Without the drag of a spoiler :grin:
The car is on Gaz coilovers, just how far it's lowered I wouldn't like to say.
Not too much, as my aim is go, not show!

I agree completely as I don't want the car to be to low for no reason. YOu need some suspension travel to follow the road as it is.
That look of the rear wheels would suggest 30 mm spacers with drum brakes....

Thanks for the info

Strange, I have 20mm spacers on the rear and it is extremely tail happy, even if you only tug the wheel left or right. The only way I can get understeer is in damp conditions in 2nd gear and floor it mid corner. Coilovers are as low as they can go and it has literally no suspension, fine on the track, not fine anywhere else.

I will take a photo of the "Stance" so you can see if there is more or less weight on the front/rear if it helps you.

For the little time I had on track last I found losing the backend a lot of fun and really quite controllable (running AP's lowered 50mm, oem rear bushes, rear arb, rear omp brace and 12.5mm spacers)

It was a fantastic day, Stewart is a wonderful driver and the Puma a great car.

And as for the 'off' I wouldn't have missed it for the world :) A complete track day experience :shock:

You got that alright Yvonne..
Although the camping in a van on the other side of the country, is the cherry on top.

And at no point did the car explode it`s engine etc..

Great video Stu, looked like you were one of the fastest in the corners. With that said I reckon with 200hp it would make the Puma one hell of a track car.

Cheers, It`s in the corners where you have to make it count with just 1679cc`s
With the FRP cams in it, my car should work a whole lot better. (145 ish bhp)

200bhp would of course be awsome.
I recon that with just 170-180 you`d blitz all but the five figure mega cars..

Assuming you can paddle it..

With but a week untill the first Javelin Sprint Series meeting of the year I figured I better get on with sorting the last few gremlins and getting a couple of jobs finished.

Today I got underneath and had the first proper look since my attempt at joining the Cheshire farming set..

[image]5576[/image]

It was absolutely filthy.
There was mud packed into every orifice at the front of the car.
It had dried like mortar and had to be dug out with a screwdriver.
There were clumps on every protrusion from the strut brace to the petrol tank.

Fortunately my makeshift splitter had protected the mechanicals which was a relief.
Though it didn`t survive, nor did the bumper `tags` it fastened on to to I`ll be replacing the bumper and replacing the splitter.

Apart from that, crash damage was negligible.

Giving me chance to get on with the stuff thats been bugging me.
Tickover first.
Now I`ve taken advice from a few people and with all the usual faults checked (air leaks, maf, tps etc) I had a look at my lambda.
unplugging it made no difference. Ah Ha! I though, looks like I may have something.
And indeed I did.
I found that the extension for the 4-2-1 was home made (badly)
and a wire had come out of the plug.

There were crimp connectors under the tape and one of them had broken too.
It didn`t take long finding a plug and rewiring the extension.

When I first started it up the tickover was still racing (3k)
So I disconnected the battery and left it a good half hour to reset the ecu.
Starting it up, the tickover settled down to around 1200 (still high but loads better)
Resetting the ecu properly should sort it.

That was my Good Friday,
Three more days fettling the car,

Cams and seats tomorrow :)

With but a week untill the first Javelin Sprint Series meeting of the year I figured I better get on with sorting the last few gremlins and getting a couple of jobs finished.

Today I got underneath and had the first proper look since my attempt at joining the Cheshire farming set..

[image]5576[/image]

It was absolutely filthy.
There was mud packed into every orifice at the front of the car.
It had dried like mortar and had to be dug out with a screwdriver.
There were clumps on every protrusion from the strut brace to the petrol tank.

Fortunately my makeshift splitter had protected the mechanicals which was a relief.
Though it didn`t survive, nor did the bumper `tags` it fastened on to to I`ll be replacing the bumper and replacing the splitter.

Apart from that, crash damage was negligible.

Giving me chance to get on with the stuff thats been bugging me.
Tickover first.
Now I`ve taken advice from a few people and with all the usual faults checked (air leaks, maf, tps etc) I had a look at my lambda.
unplugging it made no difference. Ah Ha! I though, looks like I may have something.
And indeed I did.
I found that the extension for the 4-2-1 was home made (badly)
and a wire had come out of the plug.

There were crimp connectors under the tape and one of them had broken too.
It didn`t take long finding a plug and rewiring the extension.

When I first started it up the tickover was still racing (3k)
So I disconnected the battery and left it a good half hour to reset the ecu.
Starting it up, the tickover settled down to around 1200 (still high but loads better)
Resetting the ecu properly should sort it.

That was my Good Friday,
Three more days fettling the car,

Cams and annoying gearbox oil leak tomorrow :)

Latest posts

Back