Mr Fox's Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The filler neck seal and pipe was inspected but doesn't seem to be the issue, think it might be seeping through the tank itself!

So unsure whether my latest set back is the fault of the filler neck, tank or both! Had a goosey on that auction site during the week and straight away comes up a used tank, pump and filler pipe! collected today for just £35 and it all looks good.

IMAG0466_zpsxpfx3jza.jpg

IMAG0467_zpsb6tkxdiu.jpg

Thought I'd clean up the tank and probably rustproof it (even if I don't end up needing it, which I hope I don't, I'm sure someone would be interested in a treated tank!) I also cleaned up the filler pipe, soaked it a warm water, degreased it and treated with AG Bumper Care, polished the metal fuel cup end up and replaced the rotten clamps with new stainless one's

IMAG0476_zpse4vsassv.jpg

IMAG0481_zpsiv5i4pff.jpg

IMAG0490_BURST001_zpstqlkjg6o.jpg

Back to bare metal, will treat any small remaining rust spots with Kurst, but not sure how to finish it off, underseal it?

IMAG0495_zpsmtvyzfxw.jpg

Stonechip? Acid etch first though.

I then used 3m sprayable sealer on the underside of mine.

:eek:k: I've got Hammerite stone chip shield spray (grey) certainly needs priming first you're right, is acid etch the same as zinc etch? Will underseal the bottom side yes .

So busy Weekend.

Petrol tank completed, acid etch prime then zinc primed, 3 coats of hammerite stone chip shield and 2 coats of underseal with waxoyl, first was brushed on the 2nd was foam rollered.

IMAG0571_zpsery1jk71.jpg

IMAG0575_zpscxfjlm7j.jpg

IMAG0578_zpsacogxlol.jpg

IMAG0579_zpsxcmgmh2g.jpg

Swapped out my filler pipe (stupid body screw was rounded so had to cut round it and got it out with some grips) Quick forward brake and reverse brake (to slosh the tank) and no more leak :) , seems to have been a perished rubber pipe although on inspection can't see that it had. Seems like I have a fully treated tank for sale though I'd hold onto it for now to make sure all is a.o.k.

IMAG0581_zpspdakdmak.jpg

IMAG0582_zpsfu8yhtdt.jpg

Lick of paint on the floorpan, Rustoleum Universal in a light grey applied with 4" foam rollers and various foam brushes. Repainted some trim for a little more serious look and painted over the dark blue dash with a matt black. Also tidied up the door cards with edge trim.

IMAG0577_zpsxvbgambm.jpg

IMAG0593_zpsxlzexuke.jpg

IMAG0591_zpsid9x8mta.jpg

IMAG0589_zpsc0wxpevk.jpg

IMAG0598_zpsc9xs0ttk.jpg

IMAG0599_zps7rmfnbdx.jpg

Exhaust is still blowing but I'll get that sorted next weekend.

If you apply it correctly (between 1 and 2 mm but no more) it wont transfer onto your hands after 24hr although you're right it will always be slightly tacky as its flexible, The idea of rolling on the second layer was to tell I'd covered the whole tank due to the change in texture (which is flatter and easier to handle). Like your led work, very modern! :eek:k:

I remember I undersealed my rear ARB the night before it got fitted the next morning, bad :idea: :-D

oh forgot, I got 8 x speedline corse decals and some orange strips for my turini's to match the rest of the orange bits on the car, also going to strip the outside of most decals and fit a new kit

IMAG0600_zps6lajubjv.jpg

grayfox said:
[post]349376[/post] So busy Weekend.

Petrol tank completed...Exhaust is still blowing but I'll get that sorted next weekend.

That's a busy Sunday, good going...and I like that Rustoleum, goes nicely with your contrasting dash trim too :eek:k:

Had a bit of spare time today so whipped the rear bumper off and jigsawed the bottom part of the inner frame to avoid the 'parachute effect' with the spare tyre and tray gone.

I did this by simply running a stanley knife a few times up and down the bottom bonded edge (see first pic) and using a jigsaw (checking that it wasn't too deep as to reach the outside surface) ran it across just below the first two bumper bolt holes. I'd planned on removing the inner frame although and brought a tube of tigerseal ready for the job of bonding it back on and leaving it to set overnight but this way the top of the inner frame is still bonded on as normal so I could get it back on straight away. The way also left me with a cool built-in diffuser! (pic 2) :lol: I then pressure washed it as it was filthy (pic 3) clean (pic 4) Removed a couple of ford racing decals as they had seriously faded and didnt go with the new orange theme and final tried the internet fable of peanut butter for bring black rubber back to life so put a tablespoon in the microwave (pic 5) and the results were honestly amazing!! (pic 6) Before sticking it back on I clayed it and used some Carlack NSC (pic 6 - the hair dryer helped get the decals off), I then cleaned up the metal rear section (pic 7) and using a suitable twist-knot drill bit took some rusted surface area back (pic 8/9) and treated with Kurust (couldn't be arsed to wait the 3 hours before going over with a top coat so will do that another time) Back on (pic 10)

IMAG0629_zpsdcub996n.jpg

IMAG0633_zpsm2gekqvd.jpg

IMAG0636_zpseyzfgk52.jpg

IMAG0640_zpsaxzfkpto.jpg

IMAG0642_zps5qb2oech.jpg

IMAG0645_zpshskvrv6t.jpg

IMAG0648_zps5rj2zwnu.jpg

IMAG0651_zpsszt5ttdb.jpg

IMAG0652_zpsmmw6baia.jpg

IMAG0653_zpspoxklafs.jpg

IMAG0657_zps0dikayjj.jpg

Good going...be interesting to see how long the peanut butter trick lasts for, keep us posted. (Will also be interesting to see if any of the neighbourhood pooches like peanut butter! :lol: )
Like the decals on the 'flaps :eek:k:

finally went to get the exhaust sorted as I've been so busy every weekend but luckly had a couple of leave days left over, so took today and tomorrow off. My opinion of the sportex 421 has slightly changed lol, got it up on the lift and there's a hole bigger than a 50p under the heatwrap and cracked all the way round :hmm:

Looking at the FRP stainless copy (cant afford a new piper/milltek at present) unless anyone knows of, or is selling a decent manifold I can buy??? pleaaasssse, lol.

moondustka said:
Or weld it up?!

I'd always be thinking when's it going to blow again and positive it would soon after, rust and intensive heat spots are not good combo with mild steel but I got my moneys worth out of it. Price of a stainless FRP copy and sportex are the same, reason I brought mine was it was used at £50.

Got a stainless FRP copy arriving tomorrow :grin:

Latest posts

Back