Restoration of FRP 477

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moondustka said:
[post]353120[/post] Absolutely drooling material, as said previously...

And well done on the progress!!

:pose: :pose2: :thumbs: :clap:

Cheers Ben. I'm just bolting stuff on, yours is real talent!

No no, it takes skill to put stuff back on like that and a keen eye to make it right. Otherwise chips, bangs and knocks can un-do areas of that gleaming bodywork! What you have had done and are doing to the car is a credit to you and says a lot about a person, I believe anyway.

It would be pointless getting my puma to that state as the next time it went '70mph', it would get ruined!

moondustka said:
[post]353128[/post] No no, it takes skill to put stuff back on like that and a keen eye to make it right. Otherwise chips, bangs and knocks can un-do areas of that gleaming bodywork! What you have had done and are doing to the car is a credit to you and says a lot about a person, I believe anyway.

It would be pointless getting my puma to that state as the next time it went '70mph', it would get ruined!

Very kind of you Ben!

My OCD is going to have to sort that white clip out that holds the brake line. It's the original Ford 'modification' when they recalled them for the hose rubbing. I have no idea why they didn't drill the hole slightly to the left so BOTH pipes were clipped in. It's a cack handed solution so that's a job for tomorrow to put it right.... Without drilling the pipes by mistake!!

XAF said:
[post]353129[/post]
moondustka said:
[post]353128[/post] No no, it takes skill to put stuff back on like that and a keen eye to make it right. Otherwise chips, bangs and knocks can un-do areas of that gleaming bodywork! What you have had done and are doing to the car is a credit to you and says a lot about a person, I believe anyway.

Very kind of you Ben!

My OCD is going to have to sort that white clip out that holds the brake line. It's the original Ford 'modification' when they recalled them for the hose rubbing. I have no idea why they didn't drill the hole slightly to the left so BOTH pipes were clipped in. It's a cack handed solution so that's a job for tomorrow to put it right.... Without drilling the pipes by mistake!!

This is because the recall was done at ford dealers so the fit is different from car to car.. as you say, its not rocket science to fit the clip so it holds both. .seems pretty obvious. . It must have been on the recall instructions you would have thought. . :?

Chris

Today's update, she runs!!

Today was not fun, quite stressful and in the end joyous! Start of the day was getting as high as possible on thinners cleaning off all the grime off the bottom of the main floor section before stonechip and topcoat. Not fun.

Then I spent an age looking for all the new fixings for the heat shields, could I find them, could I heck. Obviously after wasting an hour they were in the first box I looked in under he other million clips and fixings I've ordered that I simply didn't need or now have spares for my black one which when I'm insane enough, will be getting the same treatment.

Then the manifold. Wow. What a pig. Actually, it wouldn't have been a pig if I'd have asked the question first but thanks to Chris, Alex and Simon, the obvious answer was disconnect the dogbone mount, push the engine forward, wedge and fit. As soon as we disconnected the mount, the new Piper manifold was on in 5 mins. Thanks gents!

Next up was the Lambda. Couldn't find the plug, then when I could it was no way long enough. Had I given away the loom extension by mistake when I sold the the old exhaust?!! The answer was actually no. Some idiot had cable tied the old one to the expansion tank and once a bit of slack was achieved it all fitted up.

Next on was the exhaust which was a doddle, although there is a tiny blow on the back box joint which is a bit annoying considering it's a brand new system and gasket. Job for tomorrow that one, I want to know if it still runs!

Click one, click two - all the dash lights come on and the airbag light flashes away as the seats aren't in. The pump primes, turn the key once more and bam, it sparks into life and sounds awesome! Much better system than the old one and the rasp is fantastic.

Next up were the side repeaters which were a pig so took the front wheels off, peeled back the liners and twisted them in from behind. Job done. Thought I should clean and polish the calipers while I was there (obviously a HUGE priority when there are a million other MOT worthy jobs to be on with!). Another not important job that I thought I'd do while the wheel was off is paint the cooling veins on the discs so they look shiny new again, which they should since they aren't even a year old yet!

So there we are. The old girl runs, brakes work and it looks amazing. Time to actually spend some time with the patient wife to be and the child...

And my new favourite pic!

This attention and detailing in this is so amazing it kinda makes me want to weep in awe. :pinkeye:

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]353179[/post] This attention and detailing in this is so amazing it kinda makes me want to weep in awe. :pinkeye:

I have to admit I felt a little awe struck myself when it started with no vital fluids leaking out anywhere. It's only a lump of metal, but it replaced a classic Mini that I loved, will be my wedding car, my daughter loves it and weirdly, was built on her birthday. It's a keeper!

They aren't just lumps of metal to everyone though. I feel no real love for my ST but when puma started up after sitting for over 18 months I actually had to hold back tears.. that's why she will never get scrapped. Even if she ends up a garden ornament! :lol: some of them are just more special than others, especially when you've been as up close and personal with them as you have with 477!

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]353187[/post] They aren't just lumps of metal to everyone though. I feel no real love for my ST but when puma started up after sitting for over 18 months I actually had to hold back tears.. that's why she will never get scrapped. Even if she ends up a garden ornament! :lol: some of them are just more special than others, especially when you've been as up close and personal with them as you have with 477!

Totally agree Emma, I just adore my Pumas. My daily is a Golf, but it's just a Golf. When it goes I'll go back inside and make a cuppa whilst reading about Puma's....

ElDude at Allison Automotive said:
[post]353189[/post]
My daily is a Golf, but it's just a Golf. When it goes I'll go back inside and make a cuppa whilst reading about Puma's..

Lol..it's quite a nice Golf though.. :grin:

Was.... My brother is about to acquire it. For some reason I need to inject some money into the bank. I mean, weddings, stag do's and nut and bolt restorations are cheap aren't they?!! :p

Latest posts

Back