Restoration of FRP 477

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, great pics, lovely job! Whilst I was cursing and swearing and spending all Friday only replacing front discs and pads, due to one rounded nut, on my Puma you've practically rebuilt yours! Keep up the good work!

rnnicol said:
[post]353291[/post] Hi James, how you getting on with the rebuild ?

Hi Richard, it's going well. Most normal couples 9 days before their wedding would be stressing over the bows and ribbons and arguing about whether uncle Peter the perv is going to speak to Auntie Marion that is an old battle axe, but instead I've been worrying about the looming MOT on Saturday....

This weeks has really been all about the details, getting the car back on it's wheels, torquing down all the suspension once it's resting with its own weight on the ground, fitting and adjusting the door frames and glass, front splitter, wing mirrors, trim, seatbelts, rear cards and panels, washer jets, new headlight (thanks Ash!!) and a million other little jobs.

Managed to find some holy grail brand new clips for the rear brake lines which will look much better than the originals I scrubbed up - Vas, you need to check your Facebook messages!!

All the Platinum sound system is in now and looking very factory even though the FRP never officially had it as an option. Seemed a shame to waste the factory rear trim panels with the extra grills...

And the amp in the boot complete with original trim panel thanks to Simon:

I even managed to drive it up and down the drive last night - sat on a toolbox as the front seats aren't in yet. Brakes appear to still have some air in but the ABS light went straight out and that Piper exhaust sounds amazing.

So tomorrow it's door cards, front seats and then a damn good clean before 8am Saturday for a 10 mile drive to the dealers for the test.

It's going to be a shame to put the plate back on...

tuonokid said:
[post]353297[/post] Hi James
Well done but don't forget to do the heater drain before you put the front seats in :)
Barry

Very good point!

I'd be covering it in bubble wrap before I drove it 10 feet. Nothing more lush than a fresh coat of paint.

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]353317[/post] I would drive it on a flatbed truck covered in bbuble wrap! What a car and what a job! Just amazing, really amazing

It may come to that :p

Hi James, I must say the picture of the car just looks as though it's just came of the production line, those new headlights make all the difference to the front, I've said this already, but we'll done, I hope one day I'll get to see it. All the very best when the big day comes. Richard

XAF said:
[post]353320[/post]
Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]353317[/post] I would drive it on a flatbed truck covered in bbuble wrap! What a car and what a job! Just amazing, really amazing

What about a full vinyl clear wrap?

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]353367[/post]
XAF said:
[post]353320[/post]
Wild E. Coyote said:

What about a full vinyl clear wrap?

It's on the list of considerations. Need to understand the cost / protection it gives / look...

This gives a not bad run down of pros and cons, some of which I hadn't even thought of. https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/our-world/blog/2014/7/18/what-is-vinyl-wrapping-for-cars-uses-and-pitfalls-of-paint-protection-film/

I met a guy when I was at a job, who had a green focus rs, he told me due to the paint being hard to blend in, he got the front clear wrapped , but was still too scared to drive the car, and decided to sell it, pointless story but just thought I'd mention it.

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]353369[/post] This gives a not bad run down of pros and cons, some of which I hadn't even thought of. https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/our-world/blog/2014/7/18/what-is-vinyl-wrapping-for-cars-uses-and-pitfalls-of-paint-protection-film/

Cheers Emma. Scratching the paint and marks under the wrap do put me off, but guess that's where you'll get what you pay for. Any monkey can buy the film. It takes skill to apply it properly

rnnicol said:
[post]353374[/post] I met a guy when I was at a job, who had a green focus rs, he told me due to the paint being hard to blend in, he got the front clear wrapped , but was still too scared to drive the car, and decided to sell it, pointless story but just thought I'd mention it.

I'm obsessive, but it's going to get used. Look at it this way, I could get a full respray every year for less than a few months depreciation on a new fiesta!

Oh, and it's MOT time. It's in the Ford dealer as we speak. I'm like an expectant father. Why Ford? Well, it's £30, they know me and the car, and I trust they won't break it!

My guess is pedal travel and lights may be advisories...

Hi Xaf,

We feel your pain after buying 275 a year ago. Very similar problems! It is finally on it's way home from Pumabuild having spent the last 3.5 months there being stripped, resprayed and rebuilt. They have not been the only ones involved in this restoration - Eldood aka Chris Allison of course has refurbished the brakes and Dave Watson (a local mechanic) has brought the engine and suspension up to scratch. Without them all our car would still be a rusting old shed sat on the drive instead of the purring, gleaming beautiful beasty they have transformed it back into. If it is any consolation, our bank balance also will take the next decade to recover but true love always comes at a cost :wink: keep up your good work :)

gimmickyflea said:
[post]353383[/post] If it is any consolation, our bank balance also will take the next decade to recover but true love always comes at a cost :wink: keep up your good work :)

You're telling me!! :)

Latest posts

Back