My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,

Hoping for good weather this weekend so I can maybe start a few jobs that I need to sort out. First up being to remove the exhaust and heat shields from under the car. The exhaust started to blow at Cadwell Park so I've got to take a look at that and maybe have a flexi section welded into it. The heat shields have just deteriorated over time and are literally just hanging and flapping around. I've got some DEI Gold heat reflective to put in its place.

Putting plans in place for my turbo engine build as well, trying to gather as many parts as I can before I even think about taking the engine out and rendering the car useless.

Get as much as you can before taking anything apart - good move. Also, get a plan and stick to it. Often things take longer if you move the goal posts! I do that sometimes :lol:

Goal post are always moving with me and this car, the wife and myself are currently on the hunt for a larger house with a double / large garage hopefully by the end of the year we'll have found somewhere, moved and be settled in. Then the good stuff can really begin. I can't bring myself to do it down the side of our current house!

Parts gathering is already starting, the car is going to have a full strip down and pretty much ground up rebuild built to my perfect spec. I won't comprimise as I'l be in no rush to finish it. My Edition 30 Golf will need a power hike though I think to keep me satisfied in the mean time!

Same,

I'm trying to be methodical with this and work out what I need and when I'l need it. Luckily I've made some very good contacts through my work that can supply a lot of the parts I'm going to need at a discounted price. I'm currently scanning through a catalogue marking out various aeroquip fittings that might come in handy.

Got the car back up on axle stands and set about removing the exhaust to figure out where it was blowing from, didnt take long to work out why, the flair that holds the flange on has completely sheered off so it wasn't actually sealing anymore.

Untitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

Spoke to piper about this and becuase I've used the car on track days then I've voided the lifetime warranty... once again a warranty that really isnt worth the paper its printed on!

So to that end im having a new section of exhaust made with with a small flexi section to take out the vast majority of the vibrations that have obviously caused this to fail.

I also removed all the under body heat proofing, it was all pretty much hanging off and rattling against the exhuast and I'm going to be replacing it with gold heat reflective tape, will hopefully have that little job done on Sunday.

Next step will be to get a few small rust spots on in the drivers footwell sorted out.

Looks like that exhaust went through a rough life! Pity that Piper said you void their warranty. A new custom made section is always better though. Looking forward to see the update, Jay!

Worst part is that part of the exhaust was replaced not even 12 months ago with a piper part!

I've now got a new genuine crank seal, 2 new cam seals & new rocker cover gasket to fit, will be getting all this done very soon. I'm hoping it will cure the leaks that have appeared over the last 12 months.

Exhaust has been repaired and beefed up a bit and its now much stronger than the original piper design, much better quality tig welding done by one the lads at work.

Will offer it up for a test fit this weekend then heat wrap it before it goes back on.

Decided to order some new tyres yesterday as well. The Marangoni's ive used for the last 18 months have been great but the shoulders are basically slick now and I dont feel confident driving on the roads with them. I was going to get the same again but decided I see how these perform.

nankang-ar1-greece-jdmaster-europe-dealer.jpg

Will hopefully be with me next week and I'l give them a bit of bedding before heading to Blyton Park on the 24th for a proper work out.

Last night I made a start on using gold heat tape under the car, the original Ford heat shields had basically fallen to bits and had started to rattle on the exhaust. 5 rolls of heat tape should be enough to do the exhaust tunnel and side of the fuel tank.

gingerdave said:
[post]356034[/post] Blimey hope it doesnt. rain,coz you wont be going round many corners those.

I've driven on semi slicks in the wet before, its not as bad as you'd imagine but still.... not great!

Spent a couple of hours under the car yesterday afternoon and got a few more bits done, the underside/exhaust and side of the fuel tank tunnel is now finished in gold heat tape, such a fiddly and time consuming job to do!

The exhaust centre sections and also back on the car with the front pipe now also heat wrapped. I used to get a lot of heat soak around the gear stick/hand brake area on track days so I'm hoping that I've now reduced that a bit. If I had more time I would've taken the manifold off and done that as well.

Next job is stop the oil leaks using the new seals/gaskets I've got and I'l more than likely do the cambelt, tensioner and water pump while I'm at it.

No pics as it was almost dark when I finished last night but will get some later.

More time spent on the car last night, I feel like im really getting the love back for the little Puma again now.

Changed the rocker cover gasket from a pattern part to a genuine Ford jobby and the fit is so much better. I'm hoping that is one of the leaks now fixed.

While I was at it I also cleaned the rocker cover up, lots of gasket sealer had been used to try and stop the old one leaking. I've also got a fair bit of the gold heat tape left over so added a strip to the back of the coverm going to do the underside of the strut brace as well.... I cant tell you how many people have lean't on it and got very hot hands!!

Few pics...

Had a pretty mental afternoon/evening on the car yesterday to get it ready for Blyton Park this weekend, most of the effort was focused on stopping the oil leak which I think I've managed by changing the crack seal, while I was at it I also changed to cambelt & tensioner. Pig of a job when your not on a ramp and its raining!!

I also replaced the "flexi" part of the fuel filler system as one of the hoses was rotten and split in a couple of places, I used some fluro lined silicone hose in 40mm & 19mm sizes to replace both parts.

No pictures as I was desperate to get the job done asap but I will grabs some snaps over the next few days of the car and the work I've carried out.

.... Debating whether to rebuild the front calipers before the weekend as I've got a full seal kit for them. Not sure I can be bothered though.

One final job to do is charge the battery, start it up and run it for a few days to make sure everything is ok!

Another track day done and it didn't start all that well....

The car was performing nicely on the drive over, until we got about 10 minutes away from blyton park and the car suddenly decided it no longer wanted to run on 4 cylinders and it would be much happier on 2!

We ended up on the side of a dual carriage way diagnosing what was a broken coil pack.

I had to get a friend up and out of bed to bring me a new coil, leads & plugs. Thankfully he was coming over for the day but he left sooner than he'd planned. Cant beat having a great bunch of friends!

Once the car was sorted and back up and running the car was going very nicely, handling was spot on and the new tyres we're super grippy.

The day did show up a few issues, there is a quite a knocking noise coming from the front when cornering hard left which I think might be a drive shaft. Will check the CV joints and see if there is anything wrong with them.

The car is still over fuelling or something, it starts to smell of fuel in the car after a few laps and it becomes very strong! I also think the heater control valve is broken, hot air was pumping into the cabin for most of the day.... Not what you want on a track day.

All in all a great day and the car is still putting a massive smile on my face. Heres some pictures.

XSP_0905 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

XSP_0094 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

XSP_0009 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

XSP_0010 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

XSP_0394 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

Looks like you had the track to yourself!

Nice top see a decent video too that's not blurry or the camera shaking like some on youtube.

I just have it attached to windscreen with a sticky pad, seems to be the best for stability although it does generate a small rattle/vibration with the gopro in the case.

The track was very quiet at times, a lot of people had packed up and gone by 3pm which seemed very odd.

little bit of an update as I've been rather quiet lately.

Car is having a few new parts developed for it all of which will be revealed in the next few weeks.... Its something I'm quite excited about and the parts will also be available for all to buy.

In other news, I've now got a full set of vibratechnics mounts that I'l be fitting once I get the car back home. I've also agreed in principle to buy a 2.0 engine, gearbox & drive shafts from a Mondeo. I'm just waiting for it to be removed from the car and then I'l go pick it all up. I'm now on the hunt the parts I need for a turbo build.

Other things to come in 2017 will be Tarox 6 pot brakes up front, roll cage and a tidy up to the bodywork.

Sounds awesome Jay, I look forward to seeing it all come together.
Do you intend to have it all done for Rockingham in March?

Latest posts

Back