Puma 4x4 Cosworth

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks very much Barry, it's nice to hear having spent countless hours, evenings and days on these cars.

Will get an update up soon

On with a quick update..

Sheet aluminium bought and started cutting and welding the new tank..

Baffles getting made

Tacked in

Collector pot made

Return pipe made so return fuel back into the collector pot

All tank fittings are AN fittings

Filler neck & breather pipe made - tank brackets also started - not going to bother with a strap this time, want to make sure it's not going to move about!

Will get more up soon

Thanks

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]352480[/post] Man, this is incredible. Just funtastic fabrication. What is the capacity of the tank?

I need to do some proper calculations, but I think it's around 40 litres. So not very big especially considering the amount of fuel this car burns!!

Brian' said:
[post]352496[/post] Love the custom parts you and your brother make and create for the Puma's!

Thanks vey much. It's been a necessity with this car, I'm just glad we can cobble something together ourselves or this would have cost a fortune by now!

More work done on the fuel tank

Old filler neck removed.. This was awful. You put the pump nozzle in, pulled the trigger and all the fuel would splash back at you. So you had to stand there on half pull on the nozzle to allow the fuel into the pipework. Just awful.

This is the quarter panel where the filler cap is.. It needs addressing to make it how I want but will require the side of the car to be resprayed so this will have to wait for another time.

More fab work on the tank

Using the standard sender unit and needed to block the original inlet/outlet - so used a short section of solid 8mm aluminium rod in both

This needed changing have no idea how long this filter has been on but it's seen better days

New lines made

New filler and breather pipes arrived

More done on the tank

This is where I'd realised I'd made a slight over sight. I'd only fitted an AN6 outlet to feed the pump, which I wasn't confident that it was enough. So before it was all welded together I changed it for an AN10 outlet and elbow.

Bottom of the tank welded to the top and finally sealed

Thanks for looking, more to follow.

More work done on the tank...

Fuel pump fitting and brackets made

With that done I turned my attentions to the fuel filler pipe and cap - decided that the filler neck needed to be extended to allow a better/easier connection of the filler hose

The wiring in the boot was left last time around, now with the tank being done I could finally get this last bit tidied up properly. Also decided to relocate the loom outlet for the tank into the boot floor using a ford grommit I had.

Also made up the feed line from the pump to the fuel filter which is located underneath the rear passenger seat (where the standard tank would be)

That's all for now, more to follow.

Thanks for looking.

Update time, will try and get this to where I am now over the next few days.

With the tank out and before I put it back in I turned my attentions to the rear diff. This needed its oil changing as I had no clue when it was last changed and had a feeling it was topped up with anything lying around as it seemed to have a leak on the pinion shaft... Which appeared to be a red fluid. I'm guessing transmission fluid.

Because of the way the car has been built I can't get the rear cover off the diff without removing the whole thing from the car.. So spanners out again and got the diff out.

Diff out I could now remove the rear cover, also realised that the fill plug was rounded and so out with the welder to weld a nut onto it so I could turn it out

Knowing this won't be the last time I'll need to change the oil I set about fitting a drain plug

Wasn't happy with just letting the rubber 'o' ring squash against the casing as it wasn't totally flat at the point. So of to my machining friend who managed to mill a flat area and even a small recess for the rubber 'o' ring to make sure it wasn't going to leak.

Gave it all a clean and bolted back up again - some of you may notice the odd nuts on the diff mount and the old standard diff mount, the rear beam and everything is due to come out again at some point to be overhauled so new nuts, mount, bushes and everything else will be done then.

At this point I was keeping my fingers crossed that the pinion seal was leaking due to the transmission fluid and that with the correct oil I would get lucky and it would be OK. Only time would tell.

With that done time to get the tank all bolted up and fitted. Gave it a very very quick polish just to make it look like one block colour.

Tidied the original sender unit as best I could before fitting

Fitted the breather and sender unit and then one last shot of new vs old!

Tank fully fitted

With that done it was filled up with some fuel and of on a test drive.

More to follow soon.

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]354114[/post] Can silicone hoses be used with petrol? I know they can't stand the power steering fluid...?

Those silicone hoses used are fluoro lined which makes them resistant to fuel and oil. Below is a pic showing the inner lining of them

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back