Newbie - Chassis corrosion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cork Puma

Hi all. New to the site. Had my puma in for the nct yesterday and she failed on "Chassis corrosion" each corner marked in the report. However the ends of both wings are badly corroded. Would this be classed as chassis? Also the driver side sill. I want to repair/restore it. What is involved in these repairs financially.

Thanks in advance

Chassis is underneath the car, you wouldn't be able to see at standing height. Usual place is around the seat belt anchor points.

The repair will depend on where you go, if you know any welders etc. Usually welding in a new patch of metal and putting some paint over it isn't all that expensive.

Thanks for the reply. Apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

Got a quote yesterday from an indie garage i used for years. Was quoted between €7/800.

I got the feeling they just didn't want the work.

Both floor pans will need work also.

This was included in the price.

I can't comment without seeing the state of your car however that sounds like it'd be a hell of a lot of welding!

Update from my last post.

With the car having been dry stored and untouched since last writing, it's going in for welding in 2 weeks.

Typically I charge 1inch 3 pound per weld any extra I make my customers wait and see how much I need to cut out and replace

The price might vary slightly on the repairs as I have decided to replace rather than repair the 2 front wings and corrosion under the carpet inside the rear arches was only discovered by myself today. So I'm taking out 2 bits and adding 2 new ones.

Once the quote is no more than €1000 I'm happy.

gingerdave said:
[post]361296[/post] Think you'll struggle to get 2 decent front wings that don't need welding.New ones are mega dear.
I got lucky and got 2 solid ones for 50 euros combined.

Brand new they are 600 a piece.

A major saving towards the restoration.

Spent half my day cleaning around the engine bay.

Next step is to remove the interior carpet and prep it as best as i can for when it goes to the garage for welding.

It is currently moondust silver, considering a change of colour once all the work is done.

I work in a very remote location and don't get internet on my phone finally saw the pictures and in all honesty unless the car is 100% mint and very low mileage with a solid clean interior bumpers etc I'd be looking to replace it

What are the prices of a puma in Ireland?

stuvy said:
[post]361319[/post] I work in a very remote location and don't get internet on my phone finally saw the pictures and in all honesty unless the car is 100% mint and very low mileage with a solid clean interior bumpers etc I'd be looking to replace it

The car has 93,000 miles on it.

It is a clean straight car with the exception of the pictures you have seen.

Here in Ireland you can pick up most Puma's for under €1000.

The only thing is though most are either 1.4 or 1.6

Mine is a 1.7 that was imported in 2006.

While I only bought the car in 2016 I know the history of it and it was not abused.

People have tried putting me off repairing it but I've seen bigger sheds repaired and out back on the road.

When I put it through the NCT (Irish MOT) the car passed on every aspect bar the corrosion.

The mileage is the lowest of all I have seen here also.

Not to mention people permanently asking me can they buy my engine.

What are the prices of a puma in Ireland?

If you want a second opinion send the photos to me but I have a feeling that stuvy will be right as once the rot settles in around the rear of the sills/rear beam mount repairs are almost impossible because there are so many structural panels that rot and also meet up at the same location. In fact in most cases it doesn't even leave a place to support the car that doesn't need cutting out and replacing.
If the car is suitable for a relatively easy/solid repair I will tell you.
Barry

The VIN plate area is pretty common recently and most just have a plate welded over after cutting out the rotten bits.

Depending on the quality of the repairs then there's no reason not to try and repair it if you're that attached to it. I would ask for the professional opinion of the bodyshop undertaking the work to make sure they catch everything that might go in the next few years to make it worthwhile (since it looks like they'll be working on every corner of the car)

red said:
[post]361325[/post] The VIN plate area is pretty common recently and most just have a plate welded over after cutting out the rotten bits.

Depending on the quality of the repairs then there's no reason not to try and repair it if you're that attached to it. I would ask for the professional opinion of the bodyshop undertaking the work to make sure they catch everything that might go in the next few years to make it worthwhile (since it looks like they'll be working on every corner of the car)

Yeah the VIN plate is being welded over and i must get a report signed by the Garda (Police) Public service vehicle office as the chassis number is now gone in that area.

I can't find another 1.7 Puma here that doesn't have rot, so repairing my own is the lesser of 2 evils.

Always wanted a Puma, the Steve McQueen advert being the reason they initially caught my eye.

The guy in the bodyshop is my next door neighbour so he knows the car well.

I have it dry stored ever since and treated with rust stopper in a bit to beat or at least slow down the damn tin worm.

Latest posts

Back