My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sinisa
It feels to be running a little smoother but that's probably down to cleaning the MAF. As for the exhaust it's still popping and banging on the overrun but if I put my hand(withglove) on over the end of the exhaust it seems to be blowing from the joint after the cat and the one for the real silencer. When I get the chance I'll take it down to my local garage and get it gas tested. As a matter of interest I think I may have seen on one of your posts that you can check the Lambdas with Forscan (although not as accurate as with an oscilloscope) Is this possible?
Barry

Just as an extra to that bit of work I needed a new rear box exhaust clamp and an exhaust mounting rubber as one of mine had split.

200820162959_zpsgicf1xtq by barry wilson, on Flickr

I called at my usual place for both to be told we don't do exhaust rubbers but here's a clamp and it's not enough to go through the books, it's free :) and suggested to go to Kwik fit for the rubber. Turned up there, went into one of the bays to ask a fitter who went to look for one and came back saying here you go mate it's free :) .
I should have bought a lottery ticket last week!!!!

I have never tried it, but common sense would suggest you could test lambda(s) with forscan. I guess it is doable, but don't know; I have never needed it so far (knock on wood!) :wink:

Well last week I finally got my Milly seat back back from repair at Tony Archers.

250820162990_zpsddadpuls by barry wilson, on Flickr

He'd not repaired all four of the bolsters as requested but just the outer two but said to me the inners were perfectly serviceable if I was changing the colour so we will see on that.
I ordered up a large kit of leather colourant from the furniture clinic in the Charcoal shade that James (XAF)had ordered previously(DS3918).

250820162989_zps8uxr9mm4 by barry wilson, on Flickr

So cracking straight on with it I started stripping off the protective coating on the newly repaired seat back.

270820162991_zpsnva8gjhv by barry wilson, on Flickr

The wear can be seen to the inside lower bolster on the left of the photo.

270820162992_zpst1wlggjr by barry wilson, on Flickr

Not in the instructions but I gave the bolster a light coating by brush in the damaged area and it's looking better already.

270820162993_zpsaf1gytv5 by barry wilson, on Flickr

To ensure I got some colour into the map pocket at the back of the seat I used a reel of tape wedged in the pocket.

270820162994_zpsxn8faikc by barry wilson, on Flickr

First coat of Charcoal on, apart from the headrest which I'm using to carry the seat about, see the colour difference.

I've also had to do many repairs to the seat plastics.

270820162996_zpsldphwzhs by barry wilson, on Flickr

210820162960_zps6v68ljro by barry wilson, on Flickr

270820162995_zpsg7btv64z by barry wilson, on Flickr

These are taking ages as I'm using super strength araldite which takes the best part of a day to cure.

Good and clean repair of the seat! it's allways the same problem with these recaro's but this one is saved now, good job (y)

Looking good Barry, will have to pop round to see the finished result!

The side part looks different to mine, is the seam at the top on the side original?

Cheers Richard, I hope yours is coming on ok.

Anyway made a lot of progress this last week with the seats and plastics so here's a few more photos;

010920162998_zpsy2t8sfgx by barry wilson, on Flickr
What the seat should look like prior to painting ie with all the sealant rubbed off.

010920162999_zps5ujyrkkx by barry wilson, on Flickr
Rear seat painted but not sealed or finished yet

030920163001_zpsfs0jpakr by barry wilson, on Flickr
A seat base painted and sealed, note the shiny finish.

050920163003_zpst7beb4ip by barry wilson, on Flickr
A seat painted, sealed and the finish coat applied, in this case semi matt.

040920163002_zpsay1zn3i8 by barry wilson, on Flickr
I still need another one of these trim panels for the side of the seat rails but in the meantime I changed it from this colour (blue) to this

060920163041_zpswjztkmnk by barry wilson, on Flickr
Black using plastic adhesion promoter, plastic primer and satin black paint.

070920163043_zpsdol5umft by barry wilson, on Flickr
Repairs to the plastics painted with Tamiya model paint.

Hi Sinisa
Thanks for that and regarding the stripes I was seriously thinking of doing them red to match the car but I would have had to hand paint them and couldn't be arsed in the end :)

Got the wiring in for the motorised drivers seat this afternoon courtesy of the old scrapper I'd bought, until I bought this I didn't know early Pumas had motorised seats.

110920163045_zpstaquqndw by barry wilson, on Flickr

I traced the original wiring in the old scrappers loom and the black (earth) was grouped with other earths in the interior loom. The live side went to the interior fuse box and finished in a 15 amp fuse supplied by a heavy duty red (live). Rather than chasing the black back into the loom I put a crimp on it and put it with the other earths at the bottom of the door post. I'll have to find a good place to splice on with the live.

110920163046_zpsasyklrbi by barry wilson, on Flickr

Then I ran into a real problem, the seat belt pre-tensioners out of my car didn't fit onto the seats. If I can't find any that suit I will have to adapt the mountings on the seat

110920163047_zpshmkzituu by barry wilson, on Flickr

Wow, the colour difference is brilliant, great job Barry. Much nicer in the charcoal grey IMO. I do wonder why they didn't just do its all grey in the Millie in the first place..

Hi Ben
Thanks for that. I suppose they did the millie interior in blue as it's a nice contrast to yellow. Just can't wait to finish the fronts yet but the pre-tensioners are causing me problems and I may have to modify my seats to fit my existing pre-tensioners.
Barry

Hi Barry,

I've attached a photo of the connector for the Millie's seat, and another one of another connector that came with the interior that is in it now, hope that helps.

The original
]

And the spare one

Although my spare pretensioner does look somewhat different to yours-

Cheers,

Tim

Latest posts

Back