The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a serious note, don't give up on Jegger you twat. :-D

Or if you do, I want first dibs. Jegger feels like part of the family. :wub:

Hi Lee
You touched on a sore point for me there, old hoarders hanging on to classic cars because they don't want to sell and you just know in 10 years time they will be completely knackered. They haven't the skills, they won't pay the money, so the car/bike dies because they're stupid and greedy, aaagh really irritates me!!!!!
Barry

evilrob said:
[post]354809[/post] On a serious note, don't give up on Jegger you twat. :-D

Or if you do, I want first dibs. Jegger feels like part of the family. :thumbs:

Fair comment. Succinct and to the point!

tuonokid said:
[post]354810[/post] Hi Lee
You touched on a sore point for me there, old hoarders hanging on to classic cars because they don't want to sell and you just know in 10 years time they will be completely knackered. They haven't the skills, they won't pay the money, so the car/bike dies because they're stupid and greedy, aaagh really irritates me!!!!!
Barry
There's an old chap across the road with a late 80's Nissan 300ZX that has sat there for over 10 years. I had a chat with him the other week as my dad bought the last UK Turbo model in the UK (which then got nicked and burnt out), but he gave the very clear impression that he'd get around to it one day. The poor thing just sits there doing nothing gently rusting away. It bothers me....

The Arch Bishop said:
[post]354811[/post]
evilrob said:
[post]354809[/post] On a serious note, don't give up on Jegger you twat. :-D

Or if you do, I want first dibs. Jegger feels like part of the family. :thumbs:

Fair comment. Succinct and to the point!
You know me... a man of few words, usually rude.

Seriously, now, though... Like, seriously seriously - if I can help in any way, lemme know mate.

Hi Lee
I can understand that but 300ZX, a bit too lardy American for a classic. There's much nicer Jap cars out there (even though I don't particularly like them). Integras,R33s, R34s, S600s, S800s, 240Zs, 260Zs etc.
Barry

Maybe, but back when I was a lad, a 228bhp coupe was quite a car! It was also brand new and shiny! Contrary to popular belief, it was a lovely car and went like stink!

The Arch Bishop said:
[post]354813[/post] Wanna remove a rear axle with me huh?
I was thinking more along the lines of cheering you on in my mankini, but okay...

You know I'm a complete retard with a spanner, but if you need an extra pair of hands and are prepared to talk me through what you need me to do very slowly (like you would a child), I'm there!

evilrob said:
[post]354816[/post]
The Arch Bishop said:
[post]354813[/post] Wanna remove a rear axle with me huh?
I was thinking more along the lines of cheering you on in my mankini, but okay...

You know I'm a complete retard with a spanner, but if you need an extra pair of hands and are prepared to talk me through what you need me to do very slowly (like you would a child), I'm there!
I ruddy love you fella! :p

You can always come and polish the feck out of an MG if that suits better!

Hi Lee
The Jap car of the moment is the Honda S2000 but in the Westfield club we know them as Donors but they are now becoming a classic car in their own right. Much better in a seven :)
Barry

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]354823[/post] I won't use the same words like evilrob has (I don't know you that well to give myself a permission to do that) but, don't give up!
Simple as that
You're more than welcome to use whatever words you like - permission granted! I'm difficult to upset (plus I like a good bit of profanity)! :grin:

Maybe I should tell you a little story. I had driven a puma in Bavaria in 1996. It was raining all the time, the weather was really bad, but the car was awesome and I fell in love with it on the spot.
The car finally came to our market (two years leater, IIRC) and the price was written in some symbols. Translated to commom language it said unobtainable (it was 56.000 DEM at the time, the same as top spec alfa 156 1.8 engine with 140 bhp) and that was it.
I got married, kids arrived, focus Mk1 was our tools of transportation and I thought I had given up. Still, the bug was inside. And finally the opportunity came, I went to Bonn (roughly a 1000 km drive IN ONE DRECTION) and bought a second hand example. It was 2013. I believe and here I am now thinking how to get my six speeded g'box (ST180) that is waiting at Erroll's and how to put in puma, where to place VSS that is not part of newer gearbox etc....
What I trying to say: you guys on The Isle are spoilt for choice and I really hate to see something very useable go to waste. If you knew how difficuilt or sometimes expensive is to get parts for puma to keep it running in some other parts of world (Europe) you'd cherish it forever :wink:
I didn't mean to offend you anyhow, I was just trying to explain it from some other point of view.
Keep the puma!

Uuuuuupdate time - the pretensioner light is finally out and it only took me the entire summer and two pages of forum suggestions to fix.... The epic, roller coaster tale of that is documented here if you want to see how a man can be completely flummoxed but three components and some wire - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=29889

Anyway, this means I can have a crack at an MOT for it, which I'll book in for sometime in the next two weeks. I'm not expecting it to pass, but it'll give me a list of stuff I need to fix urgently.

I'm going to take a stab at rear brake lines (were on the adivsory list for two years but surprisingly not the last one) and possibly the rear axle in some way.

If it goes better than expected, I'm going to find a really good tyre place and have them track it up. I'm not convinced that something wasn't mullered when the tyres were fitted as the problem started the day they were changed and testing another full set didn't fix it.

Just in time for winter... :roll:

Yaaay! The back half of the rear lines aren't too bad a job, get a pair of the ready made ones off fleabay and you're sorted :eek:k: this gives me hope for Reggie :thumbs:

Time to spend a bit of effort on Jegger! The rear brake lines have been on the advisories on and off for years, so I decided to have a poke about and see how bad they were.

It certainly looked bad...

29318447870_307fc50de8_c.jpg

But on close inspection, it was a gooey coating that had started flaking off and a little bit of surface rust. A bit of wet and dry and they suddenly didn't look like death-traps any more;

29574354666_68869ae1ac_c.jpg

However, you can see the obvious hole that opened up with a bit of a poke! A bit of Hydrate splashed around to try and slow-down the rot - best not to worry about these things too much! :roll:

28983135164_27782d800b_c.jpg

And finally, I used some of the Bilt-Hamber cavity wax on a paint-brush to give the lines a good water-proof coating.

29318447240_c03ebf9d7d_c.jpg

This was the worst side. Should hopefully look a little more appealing to the MOT man!

What may not look to appealing is the nasty rust-scab on the nearside sill;

29318447970_369ff69b45_c.jpg

Very near the seat-belt mounting - I think it's this that's most likely to fail it, but you never know with a Puma!

Latest posts

Back