My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry, I have the same pretensioners as on picture. It is norm on later models which came with recaros. As you can see, the anchoring shaft is in front, and on earlier models it is on back.
Since you are handy with welder, I would suggest you weld on extension with new shaft that would hold the pretensioner in place in case of firing. You can't just change the pretensioners as it will throw the error code and the fault indicator will start flashing. It has to be the original pretensioners and you have to modify the seats mechanically to accomodate for the ones you have already

Not the best of news, I am affraid, but that is what needs to be done

Hi Sinisa
Yes that's exactly what I'm going to have to do plus I'm going to have to take off the existing anchor lug as that's in the way of the new pre-tensioners. It's an easy job apart from trying to do it without setting the seat on fire :lol:
Thanks for your help :thumbs:
Barry

Didn't feel easy whilst I was doing it, I was crapping myself I'd set the seat on fire and undo all the good work I'd done :)

Cheers James, bloody hard work though and I bet that drivers seat is going to knock a second off the 0-60, it weighs a ton!!!!!

Finally got my drivers Recaro seat in today. As my car's a 2001 MY the carpet and underlay is a lot different to earlier cars like the Millie but I didn't want to cut it out to suit the Redaros so I decided to space the seats up by about 8mm to clear the carpet so I needed longer bolts.

150920163054_zpszd5u8ua8 by barry wilson, on Flickr

The shorter bolts are the standard seat mounting bolts, the longer ones are Zetec E inlet manifold bolts

150920163058_zpslrpsf2v4 by barry wilson, on Flickr

These are all the non standard for 2001 bits I used, including the top hats. I fastened down the top hats with the standard Puma bolts. The big nuts are the spacers I used to lift the seats but I will replace them with aluminium spacers when I can get some made up.

150920163057_zpstfccbjby by barry wilson, on Flickr

This is one of the hatches in the 2001 carpet that doesn't match the Millie seats.

150920163056_zpsijob3wle by barry wilson, on Flickr

This is the other hatch that doesn't fit because of the top hat and the plastic fitting to protect the top hat. This time I did put a cut in the carpet to let it lie flat behind the top hat.

150920163055_zpsfeftinun by barry wilson, on Flickr

And here's the finished result and they are really comfy :)

Finally finished the whole job today and it's looking good apart from the drivers side front seat back which is curiously more matt than the rest of the seats. Tony Archer reckons it will wear in to match so I hope so.

190920163060_zpsitjrqkbm by barry wilson, on Flickr

The final piece of the jigsaw was the passenger side seat rail cover which Lee (the Arch Bishop ) kindly donated, thanks mate :)

190920163059_zpswoxrgtiy by barry wilson, on Flickr

Cheers Ben. If you're going to do it get back in touch as I have a lot of tips to save money and a lot of hassle.

250920163082_zpsmfhwchnu by barry wilson, on Flickr

Well, that's it for this year, the car's Sorned now. Interestingly I've had an EML on for the last two weeks or so which I'm assuming was the po420 cat one but Andrew and I went out for our last ride in it yesterday and it turned itself off which it's never done before so it saved Andrew a job on Forscan.
I've got a few jobs to do on it this winter including the new wishbones I got for it (cheers Ben) and maybe having to fabricate a new cat for the exhaust but I suppose I'll be back onto the Anglia now.

You need to finish the Anglia so it can get tucked up in the garage Barry!!!

Well done mate, it's looking good, those seats look great, I may get a set for mine. When ever I get it back.

Cheers Richard, I can vouch for how comfy they are but I thought you would be after some FRP Sparcos for yours.

Latest posts

Back